Rules for Ebay shipping charges?

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
What exactly are the rules for Ebay shipping charges when the seller doesn't list exact amounts within the auction guidelines? what if they say: "SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED AFTER THE SALE ACCORDING TO COUNTRY, AND WEIGHT." Can a seller really charge however much they want, and expect you to pay or you (may) recieve negative feedback if they have to relist? For the first time ever, I encountered a seller who claims the cost to package and ship a single 45 to me is 10.00 w/out insurance, within the continental US. The 45 ended at 10.00 on the bay (sans shipping), and I don't want it if I need to spend 10.00 more. So is this completely my fault for not writing the seller beforehand and asking shipping charges? Or is there a shipping norm that really all sellers should be conforming to? I don't think I've ever paid for a 45 and had shipping factored in for more than an additional 4.00 if it's shipping from a US city (w/out insurance offered).

Comments

• I dont know, but I dont think there is for the fact that some people think there time is worth more than others, i.e. the time it takes to actually pack it, the length of the drive to P.O., etc...That is why they encourage folks to ask about shipping before you bid. Most people do this, I usually will get anywhere from 5 to 12 messages asking about shipping before people bid (i.e. "how much to ship to Norway?")
    I recently had an Italian dude ask how much shipping was going to be(I only list US shipping prices in the auction) AFTER he won an LP and he thought 15 bucks for airmail was WAY to much and told me "it should only be 8 to 9 dollars AT MOST for airmail" I told him he was way off and even sent him the USPS link, but he didnt care and he just straight up told me he wasnt going to pay. I gave him negative feedback. So, it works both ways.

• In my case, the main thing that bothers me is that we are both in the US and that his phrase, "SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED AFTER THE SALE ACCORDING TO COUNTRY, AND WEIGHT", seems to say he charges actual shipping costs. 10.00 can't possibly be actual shipping costs for state to state shipping non-priority, non-insured mail. I guess I assumed too much when I read his shipping statement.

• yeah he is gouging you. I would take it on the chin this time around and just leave him neutral feedback and say his shipping charges are a rip off.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    yeah he is gouging you. I would take it on the chin this time around and just leave him neutral feedback and say his shipping charges are a rip off.

That's probably what it's gonna come down to, unfortunately. But I'd write him and ask for a breakdown of his charges anyway, and mention that they are high.