help me (oneness of juju)

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
african rhytmhs lpi got a guy in a recordstore holdin it off for me for about 30 usdhow can i see if its a original or a repress?whats the differences?

Comments

• there were several legit presses of it b/c the black fire dudes started repressing them in the early 90s to meet the demand from the rare groove scene.

i think the copy i kept is an O.G. original-- the dead wax has the initials of the QCA pressing plant and matrix #s 0X642 A and 0X642 B.

• There is a pressing with a border around the cover that is a second press. The original does not have the border. Both are legit and around the same time period. The 90s repops should be easy to spot, they look like reissues

• There is a pressing with a border around the cover that is a second press. The original does not have the border. Both are legit and around the same time period.

I just saw a copy of Space Jungle Luv with the border. Do you know if that's the same deal as with African Rhythms?

• so if it looks like this, its a reissue?

• Nah dude - there's two legit, original issues - one with the border and one without. The one with the border was printed second, but is still considered "original" as it was printed in the early 70s. At least, that's what I know about it. I think Nightcrawler45 might know more.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nah dude - there's two legit, original issues - one with the border and one without. The one with the border was printed second, but is still considered "original" as it was printed in the early 70s. At least, that's what I know about it. I think Nightcrawler45 might know more.

Hmm...mine has a matrix of BF-1975-1. I take it, this is a more recent reish ?

And more to the point, if this was sold on eBay, billed as an original press, was it my responsibility to verify matrix #s?

I wrote the seller to inquire, but he insists what I received was OG. I'd be hapy if it were but 1) the label looks like it's brand new, the sleeve is new-ish though the inside cardboard is older. The matrix stamp is BF-1975. I did not see a secondary stamp besides that. Anyone able to clear up the chain of presses that Black Fire comissioned?

Thanks.

• Paging Kevin/Nightkrawler45....

Oliver I have an OG here but it is not the border cover so it is of no use to this comparison. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Paging Kevin/Nightkrawler45....

Oliver I have an OG here but it is not the border cover so it is of no use to this comparison. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hi - I have the "no border" cover actually - if it's not too much trouble, what's the matrix stamp on yours?

Thanks.

• oh, ok... I'll get this when I get down there in a few.

For some reason I had it twitted that you had the border version, which is definitely a second press (although still "of the era").

The confusion could be that people are giving you the runout from the border version...???

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    My "no-border" matrix is BF-1975-1-A / BF-1975-1-B and there's also a sign that looks like a capital D on the opposite side of the run-out groove.

• yeah that is true of mine as well, and it's a definite OG.

My "no-border" matrix is BF-1975-1-A / BF-1975-1-B and there's also a sign that looks like a capital D on the opposite side of the run-out groove.

Wow, sounds like I actually have the real deal. In that case, it must have been immaculately maintained. Seriously, if you took a look at the label and sleeve, you'd be thinking

Thanks for the help fellas.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The label of my copy:

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Nah dude - there's two legit, original issues - one with the border and one without. The one with the border was printed second, but is still considered "original" as it was printed in the early 70s. At least, that's what I know about it. I think Nightcrawler45 might know more.

You are right, the first pressing is a full cover. The second cover has the border. *I believe they indroduced the border to correct the artwork cropping problem that the first cover had.
    And when they re-issued the record in the early '90s, they kept the border cover but used different pressing plates (so the run-out etching is different).