Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    80k in the first week apparently.

I'm disturbed that Bone Thugs & Harmony are at number 4. Didn't they split up about six years ago?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    [color:red] [/color]

in your face, fauxy.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh Iw ould be urprised about the Bone Thugs showing on the charts if we hadn't promoted at their old out show (1500 people) in Long Beach... And the fans for Bone Thugs were actually anticipating this album dropping... I didn't get it, but it is what it is.

Also the 80K I guess (from what I ahve been told) did not include the Best Buy reporting to soundscan? Don't know if that is the case or not, it would seem strange if so.

• I read this:

Faux Rillz X[/b]

and thought that he had converted to Islam.

Imagine my disappointment. Can I get a consolation bean pie?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I read this:

Faux Rillz X[/b]

and thought that he had converted to Islam.

Imagine my disappointment. Can I get a consolation bean pie?

can we get a black muslim style bowtie pasted on the pink shirt picture?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    In an age when rap albums are selling as if they???ve been pre-dipped in chode sweat (no Lance Bass)

is 'no Lance Bass' akin to 'no homo'?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    yeh Iw ould be urprised about the Bone Thugs showing on the charts if we hadn't promoted at their old out show (1500 people) in Long Beach... And the fans for Bone Thugs were actually anticipating this album dropping... I didn't get it, but it is what it is.

Also the 80K I guess (from what I ahve been told) did not include the Best Buy reporting to soundscan? Don't know if that is the case or not, it would seem strange if so.

Yeah apparently that's the figure after adjustment. The original figure touted about was around 60K before they "had a word" with Soundscan.

I haven't ridden a skateboard since my Back To The Future board got stolen in '86 but all this hype almost makes me want to hear the album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

As first-week sales in a shrinking market for a new artist who's a little out of step with current rap trends go, Lupe's number's aren't actually too bad. After all, numbers are down all over. Byron Crawford doesn't seem to want to address that point.

I still haven't heard the album but, due to the over-familiarity of that Gunter Kallman loop, "Daydreaming" sounds played-out already.

yeh down across the board on the urban side. Rock seems pretty strong but then that is what most of the white audience is buying. I think its a good thing for rap and music in general though. Without a focus on album sold, maybe artists can refocus on quality.

I talked to people at Capitol and they couldn't believe Chingy only sold 70K. i didn't expect him to do that bad but didn't expect him to do crazy numbers. But with artists like Chingy, I think part of it is, is that alot of consumers are actually starting to figure out alot of the artists are one or two hit wonders and would rather download those singles than buy the full album...

also the pop side may be taking a hit too... justin timberlake went from 650K or there abouts the first week and dropped to 217 K the second? Over 2/3's drop? 50% has been the norm from first to second week for most major releases through this year, which may mean sales are still sliding.

Overall I think this is just a correction in the industry that was bound to happen, sales were over inflated... soundscan has been getting abandonded by more retailers and the fact it was corrupt and overstating numbers is starting to show and add the increasing take over of downloads which I do not think are factored into Soundscan, a truer showing of sale is coming through for most artists...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Good points all around but even if the market seems down across genre, rap has taken the brunt of that. I think T.I. is the only rapper to go platinum in 2006 so far. That seems rather remarkable, esp. when, on top of that, only about half a dozen rappers have gone gold.

Actually there are a few that have gone platinum but almost solely southern artists..

Chamillionaire and Lil Wayne both off the top of my head are platinum...

Ice Cube is at or almost gold which is pretty cool to me because that album was almost completely devoid of a major label. It sold on name alone and to me to do 500K as indie is really ballin and makes the numbers anyone is putting up just going platinum look pathetic.

But outside of a few artists its really (at least on urban side) beginning to shift to how it was through the mi 90s where gold was the platinum for rap.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Both these records came out in '05 though...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Both these records came out in '05 though...

Right - the new XXL states the only '06 rap release to go plat was T.I.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    also the pop side may be taking a hit too... justin timberlake went from 650K or there abouts the first week and dropped to 217 K the second? Over 2/3's drop? 50% has been the norm from first to second week for most major releases through this year, which may mean sales are still sliding.

Almost platinum in 2 weeks though?? Thats a whole lot better than most physical CD releases these days isn't it??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    First of all, soundscan doesnt count downloads, which is how most people get their music these days anyways.

.........but then, nobody really pays for any of them downloads either.

But if 80k first week after such a huge push from a major label is some sort of victory, then shit really is pretty bad.

lupe fiasco is still wack though anyways.