english people

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
i am coming to your fine country...i'm not asking where to shop, cause i'm covered there...i'm asking what to bring...i.e. what records are shops paying good money for these days? obviously i know 68-75 funk stuff is always hot there... but how bout disco 12"? or disco hip hop stuff? should i bring my copy of, say "spoonin' rap" to sell?or latin boogaloo? or 80's hip hop?talk to me, pleeeeeeeeez

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    oh, and what shops give the best trade values in your mind?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I guess trends are pretty much the same over here, as they are were you are. Depends which shop you go to I suppose, as well.
    First off, where are you going in England? There's not much point in telling you about shops that aren't anywhere near where you'll be staying.
    As far as trade prices most shops will give you around 3rd of their 'real world' value. Maybe more if you're lucky. It may be worth trying to hook up with some people over on the v.v. board, and see if you can work out some trades etc. Especially if you're in London, as the shops there will give you the worst trade prices.
    Good luck with everything. m.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    beatsworkin records, off Brick Lane in London gives fair trades- whatever you give them, they'll give you 60% of the price they'll sell it at in credit, which is good in comparison to most.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'll be in london... which last time i was there 6 years ago was good to me for trades.... getting 10 pounds credit for some shitty solomon burke record from 1973 that i bought for a quarter... sold!

• stevie wonder, issac hayes, temptations...all that shit that sells for about a buck back home goes for like 15-20 bucks american here. only bring your shitty records, trust me.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    As Francis says, if it's credit you're after then try hooking up with some Vinyl Vulture users and do some trades. Otherwise, Alan's Records in East Finchley always has good, interesting stock and Alan's a nice bod who gives very fair trade deals and is a mine of information. It's about 20 minutes on the Tube from the centre of town. Trade credits in London shops are usually fairly paltry.

• I kinda disagree, it's still like it used to be for some stuff, for example shitty CTI records, you'll often see these in the bins for ??5-??10 ($10-$20) and it wasn't until i went to America that i realised things like that were EVERYWHERE. If you scoop up a load of those from a flea market you can easily flip them for some credit, also try bringing some random private press gospel or anything that looks remotely interesting. UK prices for most things are way higher than US so you should be able to either get good trades and get a little extra spending money.