Ryno revisited - Texas rap related

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
I might have already mentioned Ryno and his new album in the Big Tuck thread from a couple of weeks ago, but after listening to the entirety of the They Call Me No cd a dozen times or so...it is well worth repeating. Ryno is from Austin. He's a member of Rapid Ric's Whut It Dew Family along with Magno, Chalie Boy and Bavu Blakes. Believe me, this is not promoting a local artist just for the sake of promoting a local artist. As soon as it is officially released in a few weeks, all of you rap journalist/blogger types and real Texas rap afficianados need to jump all over this right chea...Timbaland didn't do any trash disco tracks on it and I doubt that Ryno will appear on MTV anytime soon, but if you like gritty street rap I can't figure out why you'd even bother to listen to recent offerings by Lupe Fiasco and Puff Daddy whenyou could instead be listening to this.http://www.myspace.com/rynoatx

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Timbaland didn't do any trash disco tracks on it

"Add to Cart"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Sorry for doing your legwork for you.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Insulting me and artists I like is probably not the most effective way to persuade me to cover the ones you like.

Insulting me and artists I like is probably not the most effective way to persuade me to cover the ones you like.

1. Where did I insult you?

2. Is it really an insult to Timbaland, Lupe Fiasco and Puff Daddy to say that none of them make gritty street rap?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

you're right, "insult" might not be most accurate word, but there was a definite condesending tone to your post.

2. Is it really an insult to Timbaland, Lupe Fiasco and Puff Daddy to say that none of them make gritty street rap?

so you meant "trash disco" in the positive sense?

you're right, "insult" might not be most accurate word, but there was a definite condesending tone to your post.

Well, I don't really care what sense he meant it in--I, personally, am just thrilled to learn that there are rap albums coming out today that don't feature Timbaland trash disco beats on them.

Thankyou, Shied, for blessing us with this knowledge.

Hey noz, it's me...Robert/Archaic/Harvey_Canal. You know, the dude who never pulls punches when he feels the need to insult someone? Seriously, the most condescending thing I encrypted in there was that I wish media folks who have previously shown an affinity for Texas rap would currently be paying more attention to a Ryno or a Chalie Boy than a Nelly Furtado or a Justin Timberlake. Again, sorry.

How would you describe Sexy Back? I know you're kinda youngish, but "trash disco" used to be a term that would encourage[/b] folks to hit the club. In other words, it's just an accurate and basically neutral description of the song. Then again, while I used to willingly attend trash disco nights at times during the late-80's at Decadance (in the old Tower Theater) in Houston. I think that JT's song is complete and utter gargabe in the least sort of neutral way possible. So kudos for your ability to read between the lines.

Still don't see why you'd be upset about it though...

• Harvey, maybe you could get Oliver Wan9 to write about it?

(in your initial pitch, perhaps leave out the part about You're Welcome.)

I just listened to the songs on myspace, and while not blown away
    by the sounds, I'm hearing enough talent to make me interested in
    hearing the actual CD/tape.

The song "Life" though...I can't believe I was hoodwinked into listening
    to Conscious rapp.

Harvey, maybe you could get Oliver Wan9 to write about it?

Am I to understand that it contains funkalicious samples?

Harvey, maybe you could get Oliver Wan9 to write about it?

(in your initial pitch, perhaps leave out the part about You're Welcome.)

I just listened to the songs on myspace, and while not blown away
    by the sounds, I'm hearing enough talent to make me interested in
    hearing the actual CD/tape.

The song "Life" though...I can't believe I was hoodwinked into listening
    to Conscious rapp.

Thanks for giving it a try. Strangely enough, the songs that I consider to be the best on the cd aren't on Ryno's myspace profile. Song #13 on the cd, They Think They Gangsta, is particularly

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I was referring more to the "i'm doing your legwork for you" comment.

aren't you a "journalist type" yourself? if you think guys like ryno deserve more attention why not step out of your austin chronicle mind garden and pitch them to larger national publications?

I was referring more to the "i'm doing your legwork for you" comment.

aren't you a "journalist type" yourself? if you think guys like ryno deserve more attention why not step out of your austin chronicle mind garden and pitch them to larger national publications?

This statement betrays the naivete of one who knows nothing of what it is like to have the dark forces of conspiracy arrayed against one. How dare you?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Grabbing a natinal fanbase would mean a ton of people that aren't as real as Harvey would be enjoying the music he reported on first.

Lets face it Harvey doesn't want to be responsible for helping push along a non-genuine rap experience.

Grabbing a natinal fanbase would mean a ton of people that aren't as real as Harvey would be enjoying the music he reported on first.

I believe Shied has already outlined a solution to this problem in the context of me listening to Trae: if, upon reading an article about Ryno, you suspect that he might be an artist that you would like to support, but you properly recognize that his music should not be polluted by passing through your infidel earholes, you should simply paypal 12.99 to him directly, and not buy his CD.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "trash disco" used to be a term that would encourage[/b] folks to hit the club. In other words, it's just an accurate and basically neutral description of the song.

trash beats = neutral description. With shit like that you should run for office.

Contrary to what some may think, I love this...

• austin chronicle mind garden

austin chronicle mind garden

I'll have you know that as of this past week that garden has overgrown the music section...

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Sports/?oid=oid%3A406913

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Sports/?oid=oid%3A407029

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Sports/?oid=oid%3A407605

Yes, I'm a bloggeur now too.