Sun Ra exhibit in Chicago

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Someone found a huge cache of Sun Ra artifacts, all prior to his move to New York, and put them up in an exhibit in Hyde Park in Chicago. I'm going to check it out next weekend... http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/ourtown/060929/sunra/

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    cool, come see me workin at Hyde Park Records when yall are done.

• I'm sorry, but this stuff looks like garbage. His music and personality was his draw, not some shit he--probably--purposely left behind.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Looks dope! Always interested in shit like this.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm sorry, but this stuff looks like garbage. His music and personality was his draw, not some shit he--probably--purposely left behind.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Lighten up, MikeSeavers.

If I wasn't on the other side of the atlantic, I'd definetely check it out.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I'm sorry, but this stuff looks like garbage. His music and personality was his draw, not some shit he--probably--purposely left behind.

I think the exact opposite. It always interesting to look at an artist's formative years, seeing the sketches of what later became huge ideas.

I guess the dude who discovered all this stuff in some estate sale has already released three albums of music from the contents.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i can't get the chi-reader link to work

but...if this is the same stuff, i was a at party with Kerry James Marshall about 5 years ago and he told me about a recently discovered archive of Ra artifacts. this stuff was piled up in the basement of one of Alton Abraham's relatives. and when he passed, they were 2 steps from sending it to the landfill until someone from the chi-museum got wind. talk about a close call!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i got it to work. that's the stuff.

is john corbett still a cunt btw?