David Axelrod vs. Lex De Azevedo

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Maybe this has been covered somewhere before, but I don't know the answer, thus the reason I'm here.I just came back from Goodwill and scored a number of jazz albums. I'll post my finds in a bit. But I had found a quad album on Embryo, not Herbie Mann's label but the LDS label known for the Saturday's Warrior Mormon rock opera. Anyway, the quad LP was the soundtrack to a film called Against A Crooked Sky, which sounds like one of those "back to the garden"-type films of the mid-70's. I went to the quad discography and this wasn't listed, so I'm going to post my find at the Quadraphonic Quad board. The album was composed and conducted by one Lex De Azevedo, and upon doing a search for his name, David Axelrod's name kept on popping up.A few of the articles claim that Azevedo is a pseudonym for Axelrod. I then realized that Azevedo's name was on a few Axelrod albums, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are one and the same. Right? I'm looking at this soundtrack and the lyrics for the title song was done by one Mack David. No big deal, but then again if one is to look back at some of the behind the scenes people on Axelrod's albums, there are a few names that only seem to pop up there.Any of us who have thrifted or been to enough garage or yard sales will no doubt have seen the 2LP Saturday's Warrior soundtrack. I used one of the songs which had the lyric "Who are these children coming down, coming down/like gentle rain through darkened sky", not for any religios reasons but because it reminded me of my nephew and the song was for him.So, are Axelrod and Azevedo one and the same? If not, is the Azevedo on Axelrod's albums the same guy who has done Mormon-related music on Embryo?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the stones throw forum if it still exists shouldn't have an answer for you
    how is the lp you are trippin on?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm going to post my find at the Quadraphonic Quad board.

advanced D&D.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    the stones throw forum if it still exists should have an answer for you
    how is the lp you are trippin on?

I'll e-mail Egon directly and see if he knows anything.

The soundtrack is not bad at all. It is a symphonic soundtrack, not unlike the works of John Barry or Elmer Bernstein. It's not that heroic soundtrack music, lots of different moods involved throughout. Even without knowing what the film is about, it works very well.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's an Axelrod pseudonym. Also see the Four King Cousins LP.

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/el/artists/fourkingcousins.htm

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Weird, was going to post link to same examp - except with an ebay auction I was watching..

http://tinyurl.com/gzvmo

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I saw that website too but I want to be 100% sure. I don't have access to Capitol Records studio session logs, and I'm not going to make claims just because a few sites say so. especially if it's based on hearsy or rumor.

Here are some photos of Azevedo that I found:

EDIT: I also remembered doing a search earlier tonight and came across a book written by Azevedo called "Pop Music and Morality", which gets into how degrading popular music is. He also did an essay on this:

Recent months have witnessed the deaths of two young rock stars???Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin. Both died from an overdose of the drugs that they had condoned. How many young people have been influenced by these two and others like them? How many will end up the same way?

Several years ago John Lennon boasted that his Beatles were more popular than our Savior. It is tragic that for many young people, this blasphemous statement was true.

They knew every published fact on Lennon???s life; they studied, analyzed, and memorized every lyric he wrote as if it were a kind of scripture. The practice of idolatry is common today, as in biblical times. There is very little difference between the worship of the ???golden calf??? and the adulation of some long-haired rock-and-roll stars.

When considering the moral implications of pop music, both fans and critics should put aside personal musical tastes and consider the moral criteria. To young people, this means to be aware of the moral implications of pop music and avoid the tendency to overlook the sins of pop music because you like the music. To adults it means to not condemn the music because you don???t like it, unless the dislike is, in fact, based on moral implications. Personal taste is not reason enough to condemn any music.

After reading this, and at least seeing the photos of Azevedo, I honestly don't think that he and Axelrod are one and the same.

The full essay can be read here:
    http://tinyurl.com/55hwt

It is amazing that Azevedo even worked with Capitol Records, but then again Capitol was not Chess or Verve. We're talking the home of The Four Freshman and Wayne Newton. Now it's the home of Van Hunt and Chingy.