afro-national '70 price czech

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
Afro-National '70 45 on Makossa titles Afro-National '70 b/w Wunde Wuye Looked all over found Nadia.

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    bump

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Is this funky in any way?
    They have tons of records out that are more highlife or even calypso and rumba...

The Band is from Freetown and they released a lot of stuff on Makossa.

I guess their most sought after piece is "tropical funk music" (also on Makosa) which goes for around 300 bucks... there's two Afrobeat tracks on this LP (as far as I remember) with very nice, female vocals. I'll check the names of those two tracks when I get home. If your 45 includes one of those, I guess you're in luck!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I guess their most sought after piece is "tropical funk music" (also on Makosa) which goes for around 300 bucks... there's two Afrobeat tracks on this LP (as far as I remember) with very nice, female vocals. I'll check the names of those two tracks when I get home. If your 45 includes one of those, I guess you're in luck!

I have the album - the 2 tracks are "Jokenge" and "Gowa" - and yeah, the
    rest of the album is decent highlife/calypso, but these 2 female afrobeat
    tracks are really killer stuff. I posted an MP3 of "Jokenge" here on the
    last Record Day.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I guess their most sought after piece is "tropical funk music" (also on Makosa) which goes for around 300 bucks

divided by 6

to the one who seeks his answer: the 45 is worth as much as you enjoy listening to it. If you don't enjoy listening to it, then it is not worth much.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I guess their most sought after piece is "tropical funk music" (also on Makosa) which goes for around 300 bucks

divided by 6

to the one who seeks his answer: the 45 is worth as much as you enjoy listening to it. If you don't enjoy listening to it, then it is not worth much.

really? I think I've seen it go for around 300 on eBay once or maybe even twice?

I could be wrong, I was never good at remembering prices...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    maybe at one point it went for $80 - $100
    $300 ??? a fluke if it ever went that high.

but i can't think of any record on makossa (a couple 45's excluded) worth more than $75.

i've always valued it a $50 - $60 record tops- i don't follow ebay prices all that often.
    But then again, most african music lists/sites are astronomical to begin with. perhaps in the boutique world of nyc, this record would appear with a $100 price tag but then again... does this really mean anything?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    maybe at one point it went for $80 - $100
    $300 ??? a fluke if it ever went that high.

but i can't think of any record on makossa (a couple 45's excluded) worth more than $75.

i've always valued it a $50 - $60 record tops- i don't follow ebay prices all that often.
    But then again, most african music lists/sites are astronomical to begin with. perhaps in the boutique world of nyc, this record would appear with a $100 price tag but then again... does this really mean anything?

I guess you're right... I probably got it wrong and was encouraged in my wrong beliefs by the fact that while I've found multiples of all their other releases (especialy the early, local ones) in Freetown, I've only found "tropical funkmusic" once and not in the best condition either... so if you have a clean spare, let me know.

There's definately some rare stuff on Makossa, like for examle Muyei Power "bi loko".

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Okay... here we go.
    Another case of Marco_Funk market distortion...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Afro-National-TROPIC...6QQcmdZViewItem

• I have always been told that Makossa was bootlegging a lot of african releases like the Jerry Hansen "sisi mi" b/w "neya waye me" and probably loads more that I dont know about.
    Am i completely wrong about this?

Isnt there a local pressing of the tropical funkmusic lp?

Dress

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is this funky in any way?
    They have tons of records out that are more highlife or even calypso and rumba...

The Band is from Freetown and they released a lot of stuff on Makossa.

Piece is nice. More rhumba-y but with strong rock guitars. I am guessing that it's in the $20 range.

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    talking about the strange Makossa label!

what really confuses me: many people spending $120+ on the 2nd Matata (Independence) LP on Makossa,
    mainly on ebay! to my knowledge this is a 90s reissue, i bought one when it came out...
    as far as i know it never was released in the US in the 70s, UK only!
    (the 1st Matata was released in Turkey & Italy in the 70s with a different cover)!
    most (ebay) sellers don't state that it's (or could be) a reissue...
    damn, i was thinking about to sell the spare RE for that price on ebay,
    of course without to mention it's a RE but somehow my consience didn't let me do it...

maybe a US Makossa press from 1974 exists, but i guess not! anyone know?

also not sure about the Kapingbdi (Hey Brother), a good friend of mine bought a reissue on Makossa ($15) sealed,
    saw that aswell selling for $50 on ebay, not mentioned it is or could be a reissue!
    the OG is on Unsere Stimme/Trikont (Germany) & an awesome record btw.

if anyone really knows the deal on these... ?

cheers

btw. as mentioned already, many got local releases (african & french) like the Rwenzori's which originally hail from Uganda
    (as the group name states, the rwenzori mountains)

• Nobody knows anything about the Makossa / Editions Makossa label?

Bump!

Dress

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    makossa.

mainly they were us issues of records that had proper african releases.
    but not exclusively.. i believe that there were some things on makossa that were not released otherwise- especially the local stuff- mainly caribbean, calypso, soca, reggae.

as far as Matata LP- i know what you mean rainer, i've seen that 90's issue go for some loot, although there were multiple presses of it. Mine is the red label early 90's issue (same as Kapingbi i think) but it defniitely had an 80's press (slightly different label) and i wouldn't be surprised if there was an original 70's as well.

The thing about makossa is that with many titles, they never stopped pressing them. Most likely the case with matata and definitely the case with something like the Lafayette Afro Rock EP - Voodounon.... the things just stayed in print. in fact, if anyone so desires a copy, i can make that happen for you.

in addition to the african makossa releases, the label was also running a short reggae series and a somewhat longer calypso series- LPs on makossa, 12"s on Jumbo Caribbean disco. The also ran Disco Stock which had a short run of some african titles and great ones at that- Maravillas du Mali (classic boncana maiga, afrocuban 60's session), excellent Dexter Johnson LP (killer african charangas w/ great strings), etc.

Label was run by the Francis family who were actually haitian and owned the famed African Record Centre in New York. At one point THE primary distributor of african music. don't worry, there is nothing left of their stock. long since gone with a few unnotable exceptions. the owner is among the nicest storeowners i've ever met, and their collection of Franco / Pepe Kalle / etc. VHS tapes for sale makes me wish i owned a television.

and that is all i can offer.

peace.

• Thanks mate,

Dress

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    makossa.

mainly they were us issues of records that had proper african releases.
    but not exclusively.. i believe that there were some things on makossa that were not released otherwise- especially the local stuff- mainly caribbean, calypso, soca, reggae.

as far as Matata LP- i know what you mean rainer, i've seen that 90's issue go for some loot, although there were multiple presses of it. Mine is the red label early 90's issue (same as Kapingbi i think) but it defniitely had an 80's press (slightly different label) and i wouldn't be surprised if there was an original 70's as well.

The thing about makossa is that with many titles, they never stopped pressing them. Most likely the case with matata and definitely the case with something like the Lafayette Afro Rock EP - Voodounon.... the things just stayed in print. in fact, if anyone so desires a copy, i can make that happen for you.

in addition to the african makossa releases, the label was also running a short reggae series and a somewhat longer calypso series- LPs on makossa, 12"s on Jumbo Caribbean disco. The also ran Disco Stock which had a short run of some african titles and great ones at that- Maravillas du Mali (classic boncana maiga, afrocuban 60's session), excellent Dexter Johnson LP (killer african charangas w/ great strings), etc.

Label was run by the Francis family who were actually haitian and owned the famed African Record Centre in New York. At one point THE primary distributor of african music. don't worry, there is nothing left of their stock. long since gone with a few unnotable exceptions. the owner is among the nicest storeowners i've ever met, and their collection of Franco / Pepe Kalle / etc. VHS tapes for sale makes me wish i owned a television.

and that is all i can offer.

peace.

interesting, thanks ari! heard so many stories about that label,
    also about bootlegs and stuff... great that you shed some light on it!

would like to see these different Matata labels,
    if someone could support a scan of the 80s issue,
    i'll post one up of the red/yellow 90s REissue & the OG!

i want to sell my REissue and would like to know what exactly i'm selling ;-)

cheers