valley of the jeeps...non 'baller' hip-hop cars???

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
backstory:me and the girl were watching tv and saw a new jeep wrangler commercial with heavy hip-hop image usage (grandmaster flash, rocksteady crew, graf, etc.)the girl was like "why is jeep trying to market to hip-hop" and i mentioned how for a long time, especially in the 80's, the jeep was a hip-hop mainstay.so that got me thinking of rap artists who have utilized non-bmw/mercedes/lexus/cadillac type cars for videos and album covers.as for jeeps, off the top of my head i can come up with-kool moe dee-terminator x-ll cool j (i vaguely recall videos of him riding in jeeps)-nyneas for other cars, i know the vw jetta played a role too (which i dug cuz i had one in hs)mc lyte -paper thinand the oldsmobile (i.e. PE)any other types/models of cars you recall being heavily used.????any other artists who used non-bmw/mercedes/cadillac type cars for thier videos????

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    "Suzuki zuki Samurai, Suzuki Samurai, Suzuki zuki Samuraaaiiii"

"Knowledge in his head, beats pump the red Geo
    Tracker, and in it, we get much blacker"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    E's got a Camaro or some schitt on the cover of Unfinished Business.

• the vw jetta

what about the trusty 5.0 mustang?

yay area s be knowin, mac dre, tooshort, et al

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    dana dane and trick daddy are both big advocates of "fo' do' volvos."

although i guess they're closer to traditional luxury cars these days.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    might anyone have "valley of the jeep beats" album on mp3? i've been thinking about it a lot lately...

ostrich farmer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nice and Smooth sport Jeeps in one of the videos......Maybe Hip Hop Junkies.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    no mention of the impala yet?

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Mazda MPV.

haha...hell yeah, forgot about that one. i know Naughty by Nature used it in video, not sure who else did though...

oh...and recall Hot Boys having a VW beetle in "bling bling" which kinda surprised me becuause i associate that car with 17 yr old girls.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Mazda MPV.

haha...hell yeah, forgot about that one. i know Naughty by Nature used it in video, not sure who else did though...
    wu-tang had the mpv in the 'can it be all so simple' video.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Jeep:
    Da King & I - Contemporary Jeep Music

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    brainiac dumb dumbs, bust the scientifical

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    West coast ballers still gotta have their obligatory bouncing lowriders.
    Ja Rule had a video with a black mint 60's caddy with the rear suicide doors, no?

Personally I think aspring rap artists could be a little more original with their choice of ride.

I would feel personally vindicated to see, for example, a pimped-out Saab estate or 1989 Golf GTI. Holler!

Nissan Maxima

Sean Puffy Combs(not Puff Daddy/Diddy) drives a White ragtop VW Rabbit in the Finesse & Synquis video.

• dana dane and trick daddy are both big advocates of "fo' do' volvos."

although i guess they're closer to traditional luxury cars these days.

I think Tash had a line about "'cause that's the type of shit KaTash be bumpin' in the Volvo."

BTW: Our '97 Volvo is not-at-all baller status.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    BTW: My '93 Volvo is baller baller status.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hyundai gets referenced in Fila Fresh Crew's I Hate to Go to Work.

Y'all So Stupid talks about a Hyundai in one of their songs as well, in reference to Rodney King no less.

• Honda scooters.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

• Screachy Dan "Boomin' in ya jeep"

boomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeepboomin and boomin' and boomin' in ya jeep

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Mazda MPV.
    forgot about that one. i know Naughty by Nature used it in video, not sure who else did though...
    wu-tang had the mpv in the 'can it be all so simple' video.
    Fat Joe in Sh-t is Real as well i think.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Nothing says hip-hop quite like a Geo Tracker.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Word. I think those fools had matching CJ7 jeeps. The next level shit was the big neon signs on the back of the jeeps across spare tire covers. Greg Nice's jeep had "Nice" on the back in neon and Smooth B. had, you guessed it... "Smooth" on the back! LOL.

Word. I think those fools had matching CJ7 jeeps. The next level shit was the big neon signs on the back of the jeeps across spare tire covers. Greg Nice's jeep had "Nice" on the back in neon and Smooth B. had, you guessed it... "Smooth" on the back! LOL.

I saw both cars back in the day on Burnside ave one night - off the hook!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    West coast ballers still gotta have their obligatory bouncing lowriders.
    Ja Rule had a video with a black mint 60's caddy with the rear suicide doors, no?

I think that was a 1964 Lincoln Continental and not a Cadillac.