What sample is that??

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Yeah yeha I know, take it to th ebreaks and all that..,But really, what's that shit right in the beginning of Jim Jones "We FLy High.??" That soul shit.BALLLLLIN!

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    BALLLLLIN

• I WEAR A MEAN DARK PAIR OF SHADES
    CAN'T SEE MY EYES UNLESS MY HEAD IS BENT

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Rasputin's Stash ??? "Mr. Cool"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Rasputin's Stash ??? "Mr. Cool"

I FUCKING KNEW I KNEW IT!!!!! GODDAMN!!! Yeah man... fuck yeah.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just sold my copy of that record last week.

• The really odd thing about the breaks.com is they don't have current info there and it's simply a matter of looking at liner notes these days....

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I just sold my copy of that record last week.

Even though that's an okay album, it's still such a major letdown. With that cover you except the best album ever.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Wait, is that on the self titled jawn or on the "Devil Made Me Do It" jawn? I know I sold one and I have the other still here, around here somewhere.

Self titled.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    the self titled jawn. and despite the lack of updates w/in the breaks database, you can always find newer stuff if you search the FAQ additions forum.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okay word I think I still have that one around here. In fact I think I saved it for "Mr. Cool" intentionally. Gotta pull that up.

Funny how like records/breaks things like that, they make the rounds and then end up coming back. Like I got the Rasputin's Stash record probably in like 1993 or so (and yeah, wasn't super blown away by it back then) but like that was a record that kids were checking for, now they're using it again for Dipset.

Makes me think that my vast Monk Higgins collection is going to become en vogue again.

Old records pop up now and again when you least except it - I certainly wouldn't have predicted Christina Aguilera over Happy Soul, Diddy over Spanish Key or Lilly Allen over Big Chief.

• That's so weird - a great collectro asked me about the "Mr. Cool" track last week, and couldn't remember who had done it.

BALLLLLLING!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    People here seem to be tackyfunk-tagging that first RS album, and though it might not be spectacular, it does have it's moments, including "Mr. Cool". I love that breakdown part where the singer goes "no jive - gimme five", followed by a loud-ass CLAP. I think The Dust Brothers used that somewhere on "Odelay" too.

On my old turntable, said loud ass CLAP actually made the record skip. It sure sounded that way at least, might have been a scratch EXACTLY on that sound. Always weirded me out.

• People here seem to be tackyfunk-tagging that first RS album, and though it might not be spectacular, it does have it's moments, including "Mr. Cool". I love that breakdown part where the singer goes "no jive - gimme five", followed by a loud-ass CLAP. I think The Dust Brothers used that somewhere on "Odelay" too.

Yup, it was used on the song "High Five (Rock The Catskills)" on Odelay. I remember finding the Rasputin's Stash album at Goodwill, being blown away by the cover and thinking "Man, this is some obscure shit, I bet there's some killer stuff to sample on here!" I got it home, threw it on the turntable and within a couple minutes realized that it'd been sampled on that Beck track. Ah well, still one of my best Goodwill purchases ever.