BOSTON Baked Beaner

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
What up, hoLmeses?One of my best friends (and my DJ partner) is visiting Boston this week. He hit me up looking for record spots, sneaker spots, cool clubs, etc.Where should I send this foolio?Herm

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Beaner

tell him to go to cambridge. Soul on Ice wouild prob be more help than me. i rarely make it up to the Bean.

• Go to CheapO on mass ave in Central Sq. Check the New Arrivals, and ask after some of the many 45s...And, check the Hip Hop crates. Lots to be had.

There is MassIve records on Mass Ave. closer to harvard sq. Walking distance from Cheap0, and catering to hip hop/breaks. Way overpriced on some stuff though (Tough Guys OST= $25)

In Your Ear on Comm Ave in Brighton is a great spot; they have another location in Harvard Sq, but this is the one worth going to.

Also, SoI is hosting a record swap; tell your man I've got late 90s shithop for free if he'll take 10 off my hands. In Jamaica Plain, hit up the SoI for details, but a fun time to drink and dig.

Jaymack, are you really in Bridgewater? Get yer ass up this weekend! C'mon, we got folks trekin' all over Europe for a meeting, and you can't drive 45??? I swear...no wedding talk for a month if you make it up.

If he has any other questions, shoot a pm, and i'll get you/him my info. i'm working saturday evening, but i'll try to get him squared away with some food/drink/records.

Jaymack, are you really in Bridgewater? Get yer ass up this weekend! C'mon, we got folks trekin' all over Europe for a meeting, and you can't drive 45??? I swear...no wedding talk for a month if you make it up.

i PMed SoI this morning for the directions and details. Imma try like hell to get myself there.

• Jaymack, are you really in Bridgewater? Get yer ass up this weekend! C'mon, we got folks trekin' all over Europe for a meeting, and you can't drive 45??? I swear...no wedding talk for a month if you make it up.

i PMed SoI this morning for the directions and details. Imma try like hell to get myself there.

word. hope to hand you a cold one.

• What up, hoLmeses?

One of my best friends (and my DJ partner) is visiting Boston this week. He hit me up looking for record spots, sneaker spots, cool clubs, etc.

Where should I send this foolio?

Herm

cheapos is moving, actually this city is quite dry if you are expecting to come up...me and dj spinna went out yesterday to some spots..
    i was lucky, he was....scooping up rick wakefield and smokey robinson lps.
    as far as clubs go...stay away from downtown and landsdowner st.
    massive is not even worth going to.
    in your ear is the only spot left , and that location will be closing.
    looney tunes on boylston may look promising, but its been years since i came up there...although edan has some luck.

have fun

• In Your Ear on Comm Ave in Brighton is a great spot; they have another location in Harvard Sq, but this is the one worth going to.

I lived down the street from here in college and it seemd like not many heads were checking this spot or at least going to it often. i pulled many records outta there and kept it on the low for a bit, aside from a few buddies.

• does biscuithead records still exist? and do shoplifters still get beatdown?

thats the only record store i went to in my brief stay in beantown.

does biscuithead records still exist? and do shoplifters still get beatdown?

i dont know if you meant it, but thats a great little rhyme you concocted there.

• does biscuithead records still exist? and do shoplifters still get beatdown?

gone. upscale restaurant now.

looney tunes on boylston has treated me well this year; i would check regularly, when i worked up the street. but, its worth a shot.

i've never bought anything at massive; i just threw it on the list in case someone was looking for hip hop (which i ain't.)

• Thanks everybody!

He hit up Cheapo's and came up on some decent Hip Hop 12"'s (the only one I remember is DJ DMD's "25 Lighters"). He was only there for the day then he bounced to New York but he appreciates your input.

Herm

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    btw Massive is closed - at least the Mass Ave location (aka old Second Coming loc)

Did you know that when In Your Ear closes there will no longer be ANY stores
    in Boston selling used 45's?? Cheapo's has 45's but I don't ever see them
    buy used 45's and re-sell them...only IYE and they are gone in 3 months

• btw Massive is closed - at least the Mass Ave location (aka old Second Coming loc)

Did you know that when In Your Ear closes there will no longer be ANY stores
    in Boston selling used 45's?? Cheapo's has 45's but I don't ever see them
    buy used 45's and re-sell them...only IYE and they are gone in 3 months

i didn't know they're closing; also didn't know cheapo is moving. is that true? man, someone put me on the rumor mailing list.

that sucks, though. bad. what about looney tunes, though? don't they still deal in the used 45 trade?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what about looney tunes, though? don't they still deal in the used 45 trade?

They got rid of their open 45 section last year, which
    was no great loss since they never added anything to it
    and it was crap - and they never add anything to those boxes
    behind the counter either. Once in the past year they actually
    bought and put out a big buy of soul/R&B 45's, but I only even
    knew about it because I was there when it happened and kinda
    forced my way into the box - got some good stuff (James K Nine for $8)
    but that seriously was the only time in like the last 2 years they
    even bought 45's from anyone...

• i didn't know they're closing; also didn't know cheapo is moving. is that true?

yeah, but they're just moving down the street to the old Skippy White's location.

• truth be told, we need some records out here....there aint shit poppin for me cept the occasional come up once a year. when exactly is the austin show again ?

please, all should start feeling bad for us,send donations starting today.
    my address is....