War - Spill the Wine

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any info on this lp, this is the copy I have on UA (united artists). It doesn't look like the MGM release of Eric Burdon declares War....the MGM was released in 1970, is this some kinda promo-release copy or sumthin'?

Comments

• Does anyone have any info on this lp, this is the copy I have on UA (united artists). It doesn't look like the MGM release of Eric Burdon declares War....the MGM was released in 1970, is this some kinda promo-release copy or sumthin'?

there may have been a dispute over ownership of the album. MGM had Eric Burdon's group The Animals.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Looks to me like a later pressing just renamed
    to highlight the well-known song included, and
    to indicate it as more of a WAR album - probably
    at a point where WAR were still very popular while
    Eric Burdon was not. Nice Price sticker suggests late 70's.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    the "nice price" sticker would denote a later era pressing, if I'm not mistaken. I really would not lose too much sleep over this though...

• Does anyone have any info on this lp, this is the copy I have on UA (united artists). It doesn't look like the MGM release of Eric Burdon declares War....the MGM was released in 1970, is this some kinda promo-release copy or sumthin'?

MGM as a label was no more by the time the reissue came out, and by that time War (on their own) had a number of hits. United Artists were able to gain the rights to it and reissued the album. Although I'm looking at that "Nice Price" sticker, so that would be late 70's ('78 or '79).

Today, War (or at least the organization that calls themselves War, since Lonnie Jordan is the only original member) own the rights to all of their albums, including the two with Eric Burdon. The last time they reissued them on CD, it came out through Avenue/Rhino. The gold CD versions came out without Rhino's help (which is odd, considering that Rhino would have jumped at the opportunity to do some quality remasters).