Help me teach a class on Baile Funk

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I'm a TA for a world regional geography class at the University of Missouri (aka Mizzou). We dedicate a day to discussing Brazilian favelas. Last year I talked little bit about Samba and a great deal about Baile Funk, trying to discuss social problems found in favelas through the music. It went okay, but I want to make this year's class better. I've got a couple samba songs that talk about the problems found in favelas, and was also able to find some translations of their lyrics. I also found a good scholarly article talking about the relationship between samba and the struggles of favela dwellers. I looked hard for something along the same lines that focuses on Baile Funk, but was unable to find anything.Has anyone seen any interesting articles about Baile Funk? Anything you could pass on would be appreciated... lyrical translations (if they're available), mp3 files, whatever.

Comments

• If you have any examples of how Baile Funk has influenced western music, that would be appreciate too.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baile_funk

i remember reading an article published in a magazine probably about 7-8 years ago about funk balls. maybe you can trace something about baile funk through funk balls?

• baile funk refers to the dance or event---the actual term for the music is funk carioca---there should be plenty of info available on that place people refer to as the intranet...dont know much on teh social/political implications of kids in brazil rhyming over booty bass instrumentals, but good luck to ya

• :5pager:

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    There's a new DVD out called 100% favela - you can get it from Dusty Groove, if you want to show some clips, maybe so students can see what the dancing looks like or whatever. I haven't seen it though, anybody recommend it, or is it crap?

• there should be plenty of info available on that place people refer to as the intranet
    The problem I ran into a year ago was that I kept running into the same basic article and wasn't able to find much beyond that. Just wanted to start here to see if anyone knew of anything more scholarly or recent.

Does anyone know the difference, if any, between Funk(y) Do Morro & Funk Carioca?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    mmm baile funk

• A friend of mine did this film about the subject:

http://rosforth.com/mrcatra.htm

Check it!

Dress

• I understand this man is on the forefront of the "movement."