OLD TIMEY JAZZ RECORDS YOU ACTUALLY LIKE (RR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Norgran records, lol.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Okeh!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Commodore!

• Gennett, batches.....

• Virtually everything by Bix Beiderbecke. All early Louis Armstrong, with a special fondness for the 1927 record he did with Earl Hines. Duke Ellington's late 20s, early 30s sides contain a great deal of beautiful music. Johnny Dodds!

• I've got lots of Time Life box sets. Does that count?

PS Yes, you can have them.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I actually purchased 3 jazz 78s at a thrift yesterday despite the fact that I have no means to play them

• got piles of this stuff. Django for days! biograph comps! bix, bessie and allll that mess. the crustier the better.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    "Old Timey" Jazz was one of the big losers in my Xmas collection reduction, I now have nothing left from the 20s-40s except for some Armstrong, Ellington, Goodman, Christian, Reinhardt & some early classic female blues stuff, maybe. I had heaps, now I have a little & I can't say I miss it.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    King Oliver!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    King Oliver!!!
    Reduced

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Gennett, batches.....

• I've got this old record of Monk doing Caravan w/ Kenny Clarke in 1947. Nice drum loop, and then Monk murders the lead
    I think that's the oldest thing I've got :newjack:

• I actually like some of the older ragtime era stuff with the fast banjo strumming-the interplay between instruments is what will get me to listen. Call and response between players and all that good stuff. Don't have a whole lot of it, but do enjoy.

• Paul Whiteman and his Orchestra with Bix Beiderbecke

• jelly roll morton, earl hines with the armstrong hot five/seven, fats waller, fletcher anderson, duke ellington, cab calloway, etc ....

• I recently re-read both Louis Armstrong and Mezz Mezzrow's autobiographies. Both give you a good impression of the early jazz scene from the 1900s-1940s and an appreciation of the great musicianship of the first jazz cats.

i read the mezzrow book few years ago and that's what made me discover the early jazz scene too ... after i finished the book i thanked greatfully my friend who give me the book and went to a record shop to buy all the previously named musicians records