while we're at it... another Xp question.

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Recently found out im going to have to re-install XP. Not really a problem, but i'm lazy w/ these things. SoDo i have to clean out my whole HD, format and do a clean installorCan i just pop in the disc and reinstall w/ all my docs still on the HD? (and re-install all programs afterwards)?Thanks in advance tech-strutters!

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It depends, why do you need to backup your computer? Did you have a Virus that ruined all your files?

If not. Backup your important files from your hard drive on to cd's.

Do a clean install using an XP sp2 disk.

Then reinstall your old stuff. easy.

- spidey

• Seems my windows installation is corrupt / in need of an update: an external HD i bought is getting write failed errors or isn't recognized at all, while it works like a charm on other pc's.

No problems w/ files and/or virus, so i would prefer to leave everything in its place and reinstall XP "on top" of the current install...

• When you reformat you get the option to do a 'repair' install, or whatever it's called, which you could try first alternatively, try this

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

I.ve never done it though, just saved the link for when I need to reinstall, so I take no responsibility for loss of anything important. I'd back up all you need first.

• This looks like it could work - thanks!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,906 Posts
    I'd bomb the whole thing to be honest. Back to the stone age. Format everything when you get the chance. Never been a fan of band-aid type fixes to XP, it's often actually quicker to start from scratch than unravel a rat's nest of patches and rewinds.

Just my 2p.