confessions of a reissue buyer

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Hi, my name is Eric, and I just bought a shit-ton of reissues.Now, I usually pass on reissues, but the other day as I looked at the Scorpio excel file at work and saw that I could get them at $5.90 a pop, I went a little crazy. It was weird, seeing them in one long list, and cheap. All of these records are of the "fuck it, I am tired of getting out bid on the OGs and/or these aint NEVER gonna pop up around here" persuasion. Our shipment arrived a few minutes ago...Marlena Shaw-Live at MontreauxCarlos Malcom-Bustin' Out of the GhettoJohn Holt-1000 Volts of HoltOs Pilantrocratas-PilantrocraciaGeorge Braith-Two Souls in OneThe Lat-Teens-Buena GenteD'angelo-S/T (the brazilian one, not the neo-soul dood)Willie Bobo and the Bo-Gents-do what you want to doDee Felice Trio-In heatThe Latinaires-Camel WalkHorace Silver-Total ResponseNow I am trying to rationalize this. Would anyone elese staring at that list, and seeing for a few hours' pay you could scoop all of them at once? I feel a little dirty.Oh well, the way I am looking at it, I just saved about a grand or so...post your reissue confessions

Comments

• I've been doing the same thing lately..were else could I find sKull snaps for under 10$??sometimes u just gotta swallow ya pride!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i like that they are affordable, and i have some of the scorpio reissues--and yeah it feels awesome to spend 50 bucks on 10 reissues that would cost in the upper hundreds or thousands. i know some people have qualms about the sound quality, which isn't a big deal to me as i'm not the anal audiophile-- but i sort of have a problem with bootleggers that make money off the original artists name. granted, i'm sure they do some legit stuff, but i'd rather just cop the stuff off the net via mp3s than get some illegit reissue.

and i just don't get a good vibe from the scorpio folks. sorry. the guys i met in person from there, despite their knowledge are

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Reishues are cool with me. It nice and all, that warm fuzz feeling that you get when you have an all og, superduper collection. But at the end of the day the og/reish thing is more about wang measuring, than music appreciation.

• i like that they are affordable, and i have some of the scorpio reissues--and yeah it feels awesome to spend 50 bucks on 10 reissues that would cost in the upper hundreds or thousands. i know some people have qualms about the sound quality, which isn't a big deal to me as i'm not the anal audiophile-- but i sort of have a problem with bootleggers that make money off the original artists name. granted, i'm sure they do some legit stuff, but i'd rather just cop the stuff off the net via mp3s than get some illegit reissue.

and i just don't get a good vibe from the scorpio folks. sorry. the guys i met in person from there, despite their knowledge are

[JLR]Dakar likes his fake finds real[/JLR]

• I never been to that site, i was just talkin' about picking stuff up here and there..I agree that the bootlegging thang is..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

delicious!!

• The reason I rarely buy a reissue is that I know once I start, the flood gates will open right up and I'll just buy a ton of em. Let's say I get 10 reissues for $10 a pop, that's a $100 OG I could have got. I'd rather have that 1 OG. Obviously this is an expensive way to treat record collecting and DJing, but I fell good about it. When I put out a mix, I want it to be as authentic as possible.

What I have done is set price celings: if an OG will cost me more than $300, I won't have a problem buying the reissue for my listening pleasure. Some reissues I have off the top of my head: Turner Bros, Arthur Verocai, Stark Reality, Sons and Daughter of Lite, Luiz Eca & Familia Sagrada, etc. I won't put those in mixes, but I'll play them at home. Although, I have recorded some of these for Microwave use. That whole thing may change up my shit a little bit here. Hmmm...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    seriously
    something like songs of experience,"the meters", etc should be avilable to everybody
    life is too short
    pun intended

• Oh yeah, I would never put these in a mix, nor would I spin them at a big DJ night with a cover charge...but for listening at home, or the mid-week, no-cover bar gig, I'll probably play a couple of the brazilian re-ishes(I dont think anyone in Memphis is going to call me out, "Hey that Piliantrocata aint on the Equipe label!")

• Oh yeah, I would never put these in a mix, nor would I spin them at a big DJ night with a cover charge...

why wouldn't you play reissues at a club? would you really want to drag your prizes out into the cold cruel world?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Oh yeah, I would never put these in a mix, nor would I spin them at a big DJ night with a cover charge...but for listening at home, or the mid-week, no-cover bar gig, I'll probably play a couple of the brazilian re-ishes(I dont think anyone in Memphis is going to call me out, "Hey that Piliantrocata aint on the Equipe label!")

Why would anyone have an issue with you playing out a reissue?
    I mean outside of it possibly being of bad sound quality?

I buy used cheap reissues whenever I can, in some cases specifically to use in place of my OGs, or to play out raer stuff I will never find and people will otherwise never hear.

If someone has the spare time to step to me and bitch about me playing out a reissue, I hope they time for me to laugh in their face. Course, the place I DJ is no cover!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

why wouldn't you play reissues at a club? would you really want to drag your prizes out into the cold cruel world?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    granted, i'm sure they do some legit stuff, but i'd rather just cop the stuff off the net via mp3s than get some illegit reissue.

unless you are paying for the mp3s, I can't see your point.

but i'd rather post a fake find than no find at all

I can live with that

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Why is "keeping it real" so important to you?

- spidey

• Why is "keeping it real" so important to you?

- spidey

It's a personal decision I made as an extension of my DJing. I don't see it as "keeping it real" because I don't have a problem with reissues at all, I'd just like to be known as an excellent DJ with rare, original records. If I start playing a bunch of reissues, then I get lumped in with the majority of average DJs. It's just one of the ways I'm trying to distinguish myself among the rest. DJ skills and creative mixing are the other ways.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

- spidey

Who me?

I just try to keep it 'right', I don't have time to worry about keeping it 'real'.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

- spidey

It's a personal decision I made as an extension of my DJing. I don't see it as "keeping it real" because I don't have a problem with reissues at all, I'd just like to be known as an excellent DJ with rare, original records. If I start playing a bunch of reissues, then I get lumped in with the majority of average DJs. It's just one of the ways I'm trying to distinguish myself among the rest. DJ skills and creative mixing are the other ways.

that's why I only use Microwave with mp3s encoded at 320 kbps or higher.

fuck an average dj.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    granted, i'm sure they do some legit stuff, but i'd rather just cop the stuff off the net via mp3s than get some illegit reissue.

unless you are paying for the mp3s, I can't see your point.

The idea is, is that mp3s folks post via yousendit is a nice curtousy thing of spreading raers and good music for free. many musicians like that and support that.

the bootleggers are making money off and profiting off others music and life work. that is not so cool.

as for myself, i was once asked by someone i know who i consider a friend--that i could probably do good off bootlegging some of my own collection. i try to share my finds by my radio program or occasionally spinning at clubs. i am starting to put my vinyl on files and when i get the time, i'd like to share it via ysi or other file sharing programs.

• Why would anyone have an issue with you playing out a reissue?

If someone has the spare time to step to me and bitch about me playing out a reissue, I hope they time for me to laugh in their face. Course, the place I DJ is no cover!

you know, on one level, i totally agree. If the music sounds good, and the audience is feeling it, then it doesn't matter if you're playing a reissue, a CD, or one of those other things that everyone's talking about these days. No one will care.

At the same time, i think there's something intagibly wack about playing a RE out. hard to explain. I think it has to do w/ having the respect of your peers. if you're playing a lot of reissues, it could mean you haven't put your time in, haven't paid your dues.

case in point, a few weeks ago at the spot, my man was spinning. My other friend and I (where you at Buscrates?) were standing around the tables, i think he was playing Food for Thought LP, and Bussy and I were jokingly inspecting the sleeve to make sure it was OG (it was!) I mean it's not like we would have stopped being friends with him it it were a reissue, or even lost respect for him, but there WAS this sort of unspoken subtext where if it were a reish, we would've been like 'aw dude wtf' in a clowning, friendly manner.

• Oh yeah, I would never put these in a mix, nor would I spin them at a big DJ night with a cover charge...

if i have both the reish and the og and its a record i wanna play out, you best believe its the reish thats getting played. some of these house systems these clubs got are a fuckin joke. this one spot has some crappy numark table, one time i went there and in absence of a counter weight it had a plastic 45 adapter(the kind that used to come with cheap tables) taped to it!! recently they have put another counterweight from some other off brand table to try and make up for it, FUCK THAT SHIT!
    if its on my own tables i dont mind playing my og's out cause i know my shit is set up right.

really though, its just common sense.

• Why is "keeping it real" so important to you?

- spidey

fuck an average dj.

You are a high-bandwidth microwaver

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

- spidey

fuck an average dj.

You are a high-bandwidth microwaver

as Dakar would say, I'm just trying to keep it fake, you know?

• Oh well, since I am moving this weekend, most of my records are packed up, it looks like I am gonna be DJ Re-ish this week!(oh well, "Gonerfest"(local garage rock fest) is going on this week, so there aint gonna be ANYBODY up the bar anyway)

The main problem I have with DJs who play re-ishes is 9 times outta 10, ALL they have are re-ish's...someone else has chosen what music would be good to own and play and made it available to them for very little effort. These type of DJs never dig stuff up for themselves, or discover hidden gems for themselves, it is done for them and filed aplphabetically at the shop down the street for easy availablilty. I routinely play $200+ records out(on my or my partners equipment)...like Ferrari said, it does set you apart from the dudes playing Jazzman or Stones Throw records...ANYONE can get those records...ya know?

• i'm all for represses.

as a digger, nothing feels better than replacing that Reissue with an OG you found in the dollar bin or at a fraction of what what it's worth.

having a copy on the shelf keeps me from getting caught up in dropping big kwan on ebay. if i have the music already, i'm less likely to get irrational about missing out on it. and over the years i've been pretty lucky in finding OG replacements for even less than reissue itself. a few that come to mind... Osmium, What Color is Love, ESG, Axelrod Isht, Hysear Don Walker, and many more.

• Nothing wrong with reissues and I bought quite some stuff.
    Nowadays however, I want the OG or I will be happy with a high quality mp3/CD version. IMO, reissues don??t have "value" and a "strictly vinyl" approach doesn??t really make sense anymore.

• I dont mind CDs, but crap, these things wholesale are a 1/3 what a CD costs...

• The musidisc and equipe reissues on whatmusic are shit quality, I haven't received one that didn't skate. A store called Flashback in the UK sells some really quality Odeon and Forma reissues, that pass as OG for the unscrupulous

• Thanks for posting this. It might have been better if it was "confessions of a Reissue SELLER". I used to buy the heck out of them because they were so cheap, but Ive stepped up my game and now use p2p stuff to audition things before I buy them on vinyl (reissue or og). Anyway, I'm getting ready to do a big lot of auctions and getting ready to sell off a bunch of reissues in a lot. Thats the only way I can think to resell them. Anyone had any luck SELLING reissues? Whats this "scorpio xcel file"?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    havent done any ebay fishing this year until acouple days ago http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    yeah i confess a re-ish fish hope the vinyl sounds good, heard this re a while ago, recall it was ok...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i'm all for represses.

as a digger, nothing feels better than replacing that Reissue with an OG you found in the dollar bin or at a fraction of what what it's worth.

having a copy on the shelf keeps me from getting caught up in dropping big kwan on ebay. if i have the music already, i'm less likely to get irrational about missing out on it.

this is all truth.

It shoudl also be said that those most likely to buy a reissue are music appreciators and those looking for OG's only are more apt to be labeled collectors.

I'm both, but I'll be damned if I skip out on some good music just cause it don't got a brown cardboard sleeve or a paste-on back

Sweet Charles popped my reish cherry

the Putney Swope OST I got last week ensured that I won't forget my roots