JAY DILLA - THE SHINING

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Anybody heard this yet? I just got the promo and I can't stop listening to it.

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Several good tracks, but overall it did not make a lasting impression on me.

Seems loosely pasted together in an all too posthumous way.

Would have much preferred Donuts be Dilla's final signature release.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Get urself the Instrumental version!

I enjoy it much better over the released.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Seems loosely pasted together in an all to posthumous way.

I have to admit.. I have not heard Donuts... simply because noone sent it to me.

There are a lot of solid tracks on this here record. Would you have liked them to just sit there? For a pothumous release, I think it's cohesive.

Plus he covered a Placebo song.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Dam... y'all sound:

Seems loosely pasted together in an all to posthumous way.

I have to admit.. I have not heard Donuts... simply because noone sent it to me.

There are a lot of solid tracks on this here record. Would you have liked them to just sit there? For a pothumous release, I think it's cohesive.

Plus he covered a Placebo song.

Well, here's the thing...many of the tracks on The Shining were instrumentals from Donuts or other releases. E=MCsquared, for example, is a super old beat that has been floating around on tapes for awhile. Hearing Common over it doesn't excite me. And who let Busta loose over "Geek Down"?

Somebody get this man Donuts!

• I like the D'Aneglo/Common song, the hard drum break track toward the end of the album, the Dwele song and (gasp!) the Black Thought song; the production on that track is so nice. My favorite part of the album is after the Black Thought track, this sort of '70s beat starts and an interviewer asks Dilla about how he makes beats and he says something along the lines of: "Just old records man, however I feel for the day."

• Several good tracks, but overall it did not make a lasting impression on me.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

• The rappers ruin it! Instrumental is the way to go.

• RAJ, if you haven't heard Donuts, BUY IT. It's the best thing I've heard this year, and one of my favorite albums of all time. So crucial.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Get urself the Instrumental version!

I enjoy it much better over the released.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I like it a lot more than Donuts. And although I should prob give Donuts another chance I think its way overrated around these parts. But then I'm not that big on "instrumental hip hop" these days anyway.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    much better than Jay Love Japan from what I heard.
    I like E=mc2, Love, So Far So Good, and One Won't Do

I like it a lot more than Donuts. And although I should prob give Donuts another chance I think its way overrated around these parts. But then I'm not that big on "instrumental hip hop" these days anyway.

Donuts = "instrumental hip hop"?

Edit: If Endtroducing is considered "instrumental hip hop", then OK.

And can I get context for it being overrated?

• Several good tracks, but overall it did not make a lasting impression on me.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

donuts was cool, although it was not THE shit. the donuts joints with Ghostface on fishscale were dope, if rapping is preferred. the shining is ok, but not an important album at all.

• The rappers ruin it! Instrumental is the way to go.

Raj, you REALLY need Donuts. And the other '05 beat tapes floating around. GENIUS BLACK MUSIC

• I never got the love for donuts either. Its not bad by any means but I think his beat cd's are a better listen.

• And the other '05 beat tapes floating around.

Phill please to report to soulseek at once.

-mgmt

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    And the other '05 beat tapes floating around.

-mgmt

Dilla Beats Vol 1,2,3???

When I get home, feel free to take whatever you need.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't like Endtroducing that much either. I mean, its good. Shadow has a good sense of building tension and drama. Donuts is good too. But it all is a little too wallpaper.

And can I get context for it being overrated?

RAJ, if you haven't heard Donuts, BUY IT. It's the best thing I've heard this year, and one of my favorite albums of all time. So crucial.
    Raj, you REALLY need Donuts. And the other '05 beat tapes floating around. GENIUS BLACK MUSIC

and from "The Best Album Of the Year IS:" thread[/b]
    crossings: not DILLA - Donuts? ...you sure?? tonyphrone: so far...1. J DILLA (JAY DEE) - DonutsdCastillo: DonutsPistolPete: Dilla - Donutsmylatency: I can cosign on these: 1. J DILLA (JAY DEE) - DonutsChizzle: Dilla - Donuts (it made my all time list so i guess that counts for this year as well)Kala: doughnutzSunfortune: Donuts --Proobably the best piece of art in any medium of the new millenium, perhaps even the one before, in my opinion.

Replace "book" with "album." From Kafka:
    "We need books that affect us like a disaster, that grieve us deeply, like the death of someone we loved more than ourselves, like being banished into forests far from everyone, like a suicide. A book must be the axe for the frozen see inside us."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    some great stuff on it, but someone should have told busta rhymes to either rap or shut the fuck up, because he's made sure I'll never listen to that beat again. Do your fucking job man, don't just shout at me.

Hahahahahahah...

ROID RAGE!!!

• much better than Jay Love Japan from what I heard.
    I like E=mc2, Love, So Far So Good, and One Won't Do

Jay Loves Japan is terrible. The Shining at least has its moments. Donuts still tops on my list too; perfect with coffee.

• donuts > the shining. But the Shining still has a lot of dope songs on it. Suprised no one has mentioned "Won't Do". But I'm really kind of nervous about "Jay Loves Japan". The beat in the EPK was probally the hottest thing on there.

• And the other '05 beat tapes floating around.

-mgmt

A-ight... I been staying off the 'seek tryin' to duck sciaphite, but I'll get back on in a minute before I leave the cribbo. SoulmanWOB- Get your Dilla download on while you can

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i would say some more so than several, but yes

yes

yes

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    And although I should prob give Donuts another chance I think its way overrated around these parts. But then I'm not that big on "instrumental hip hop" these days anyway.

Donuts is good ...but its a Beat Tape .......listen to it once ...put it away for a couple weeks ....listen once or twice more ....put it away for a month .....not something i can listen to consistently enough to consider a classic

to be quite honest "Since i left you" >[/b] "Entroducing" & "Donuts"

deej, plaese to not confuse what may be an oversaturation of the truth[/b] with "overrating."

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    And the other '05 beat tapes floating around.

-mgmt

The version I have of this is all bugged out (eg...huge gaps between tracks and random drop outs). The beats are amazing (I dare you to get you're drums to sound like that!). I was considering mixing (and extending) all the beats together as one cohesive package.

???

• jay loves japan -- that beat during the lil' video of j dee jumping the pyramid is bonkers. great sample.
    the shining could've done without: madlib, common & black thought.
    i thought the busta intro was quite funny.
    and how many times is dwele gonna sing that...a, n, g e, l?
    c'mon!

the placebo cover is super dope and so is the last tune.

by-by