Orlando Digging (I know, I know)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I know this has been done a bajillion times, but can anyone hip me to Orlando digging spots (record stores, junk stores) that aren't in the yellow pages? I know about Retro, The Drop Shop, Rock N Roll Heaven, etc. Which ones are if you only got a few hours? Once again, I apologize yall, I tried the search function and it's bruck up for me. Holleur at a playeur. Peace and thanks. T.N.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Former resident.

If you're really trying to get down on the necessary shit then you have to go see Wally at the Mount Dora Flea Market on a Sunday. It's about an hour to an hour North of Orlando. The name of the lfea market is Reningers. That is the only place that I recommend, because all of the thrifts are super hit or miss. Check if there's a record show in town. there is a flea market on West 50 at the fiargerounds on satrudays, and you might come up there. There is a Goodwill on OBT about five minutes south of I-4 on the East side of teh road. And, there is some kind of funk/soul shop on the West side of I-4 in downtown on Church street, or one of those 4 main streets that run East and West there; it's near the Palmer's bait shop. good luck.

• i'll hit up some spots with you man. are you here for a minute or are you out soon?

either way, give me a holler.

easy.

kg.

ps. backing up One Self (DJ Vadim, Blu Rum 13 and Yara Bravo) on the percussion tomorrow night at the Social's Phat n Jazzy Party in Downtown Orlando. it be good to meet you man.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    if we had an All States forum... food, places to visit, diggin, etc... the way there are other secret forums, then youd never have to ask this question again... ahhh... happiness.

enjoy FL. holler at sulmers (yo i got beats) he also lived there for a long while...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Thanks peoples. Holleuring will be done, we need a SS approved spots section damnit! I tried to start one, and dudes got curmudgeony with the spot info.

• Thanks peoples. Holleuring will be done, we need a SS approved spots section damnit! I tried to start one, and dudes got curmudgeony with the spot info.

No, no curmudgeons in Orlando!!!

• my girlfriend called me a curmudgeon the other day. wtf?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    how was the record show this past weekend?
    and who got what?
    do tell

• how was the record show this past weekend?
    and who got what?
    do tell

Nobody got anything really far as I know. I walked away with some nice staples and records that will have a good home.

pharoah sanders - love in us all (for some reason I've always passed on this)
    eddie palmieri - live at sing sing
    harold land - peace maker on cadet
    three the hard way OST
    bobby hutcherson - NOW!
    eddie kendricks - "people... hold on" (ultra minty in shrink upgrade copy)
    a beat copy of tangerine zoo - outside looking in
    allen ginsberg on folkways (already traded)
    some misc. stuff for ebay

I did run into your boy aaron... at least he knows Ralph... cool dude with good taste in latin and dub. Not to mention master flipper of zee records... serious browsing skills!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how was the record show this past weekend?
    and who got what?
    do tell

Nobody got anything really far as I know. I walked away with some nice staples and records that will have a good home.

pharoah sanders - love in us all (for some reason I've always passed on this)
    eddie palmieri - live at sing sing
    harold land - peace maker on cadet
    three the hard way OST
    bobby hutcherson - NOW!
    eddie kendricks - "people... hold on" (ultra minty in shrink upgrade copy)
    a beat copy of tangerine zoo - outside looking in
    allen ginsberg on folkways (already traded)
    some misc. stuff for ebay

I did run into your boy aaron... at least he knows Ralph... cool dude with good taste in latin and dub. Not to mention master flipper of zee records... serious browsing skills!!!

Man...I really wanted to go to the show, but I was swamped w/ work this weekend. Aaron is a cool dude w/ a serious knack for pulling heavy records.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    word up. i didnt go because im on a record buying break right now
    wouldve been good to kick it again
    arun didnt tell me what he copped as usual. said he got a couple nice things though
    i should be headin up there soon though
    ill holla

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I'm headed into Orlando Wen night Nov 22nd till Sun night Nov 26.

Anyone have any suggestions on worth while things to do with free time?

Bars worth checking out?
    Interesting places or ongoing art exhibits?

I already plan on a good bit of digging of course. There is only so much time I can handle with my family and I'm going to need good excuses to get out and about.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rock N Roll Heaven was ok, not
    Retro is garbage, don't bother. Owner dude watching Becker and guffawing inside the store needs to focus on getting better records inside his establishment rather than laughing at reruns of Ted Danson shows.

Have fun!
    Peace
    T.N.
    PS Disney bites.

Rock N Roll Heaven was ok, not
    Retro is garbage, don't bother. Owner dude watching Becker and guffawing inside the store needs to focus on getting better records inside his establishment rather than laughing at reruns of Ted Danson shows.

Have fun!
    Peace
    T.N.
    PS Disney bites.

Damn, that's not too incouraging.

• RnR Heaven is no longer the place to be. Check Park Ave. CD's - hit up Calvin (used to be at Heaven). He's got ish at his crib the finds its way from the that tends to be above the curve. Give him a smooch for me! PM me for the flea spots outside the Mt. Dora one.

Aschy Andy - give me a ring in the next few. I'm heading your way!

To the south Fl cats - what's good down there??? I'm in Tamarac from wednesday thru sunday!!!!!

• Rock N Roll Heaven was ok, not

I don't know what is worse, the music selection or the videos that are constantly played. He is also known as the guy who put harlem river drive in the trash before he charged me a dollar for it. Uber douchebag.

• RnR Heaven is no longer the place to be. Check Park Ave. CD's - hit up Calvin (used to be at Heaven). He's got ish at his crib the finds its way from the that tends to be above the curve. Give him a smooch for me! PM me for the flea spots outside the Mt. Dora one.

Aschy Andy - give me a ring in the next few. I'm heading your way!

To the south Fl cats - what's good down there??? I'm in Tamarac from wednesday thru sunday!!!!!

Yeah RnR heaven is getting depressing as well. Unless you enjoy the caliber of records such as $25 "reed seed."

Will ring you G... I'm not going anywhere for thanksgiving or anything, too much to wrap up before the end of the month.

Anybody that's going to be around while I'm there and is down for a dig, a drink or a trade holler.

I have some ish to trade but lemme if know if you might be interested, because I'm not bringing anymore records with me on a plane than I have to.

• Will ring you G... I'm not going anywhere for thanksgiving or anything, too much to wrap up before the end of the month.

I thought you were leaving in Jan???? If you're leaving earlier than that - don't trip.

• Will ring you G... I'm not going anywhere for thanksgiving or anything, too much to wrap up before the end of the month.

I thought you were leaving in Jan???? If you're leaving earlier than that - don't trip.

Naw I'm here. But I'll be kinda MIA in december with the holidays and finding a place in long beach. WHy am I telling you this over soulstrut? I dunno. Slow day. It's taken me 4 hours to drink a medium coffee.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    you movin to cali?
    damn man

• yea i just moved from orlando after six years...during my stay, i bought from the regular bins about 4 times when i was looking for a something in particular. but otherwise just stay in the dollar bins, ive found plenty of good deals there, especially when they just got alot of stuff in.

retrorecords is great if you wanna have that dude with the mullet watching you look through the same albums that have been there for years..i really dont know how he stays in business.

the sanford flea market used to have some spots but i dont know if they are still around anymore.

i just moved back to the tampa area, and all the places i used to go to have completely vanished. if anybody can hook me up with the names of a few spots that would be nice. thanks.