What kind of headphones do you guys use??

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Kinda wish I would have asked this question BEFORE I bought these:See, I had the standard $100 dollar range SONY's which lasted me about three years due to being a new (bedroom) dj and not taking them out much until I mastered my skills. Once I started playing out more they eventually got used by many and more often and the BF broke them earlier this summer. I was ok with that since most guys tell me they only last them a year or so with heavy use, I figured I got my moneys worth. so oh well......Well I went for the newish Technic Dj headphones and those fuckers CRACKED after two weeks and the second time taking them out of the house!!! Fuck! Now im trying to figure out how to get them repaired or fixed.Anyone have this problem with Technics Headphones?? Or have you ever had to send something off to panasonic to get fixed?What headhones SHOULD I have bought??

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    JustAlice, I was thinking of starting a similar post, so I'm latching on to yours, with just a slight forking of the topic:

1. Recommended HPs for DJing?
    2. Recommended HPs for studio purposes/home listening?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yeah those technics really suck. they hurt your ears and they sound horrible.

ive been rocking the same sony mdr-z600's for 6 or 7 years now. thisis my second pair and they sound great. the only problem is they break easily

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

i love my sennheiser hd 280 pros
    like 110 plus tax
    haven't beat on them live much
    2 trips abroad so far no cracks
    heavy and accurate bass monitoring as well

at the studio[s] we use 1000 dolla jawns
    the difference is not worth 900 dolla as i hear it

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yeah like everybody else i have been thru 3 pairs of those silver sonys
    they are flat accurate,boring like ns 10s and always break

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i have the older technichs headphones rpdj 1200 i think and theyre rock solid till now.. had it for one and a half years

• yeah those technics really suck. they hurt your ears and they sound horrible.

Well, actually I bought them because I thought they were more comfortable, I tried them on at a local spot and then ordered them online for 30 bucks less than the store charged. They have really nice padding, I guess they are kinda tight though which is probably why they snapped...but I thought the sound was a little better because they seemed to drown outside noise out well (also because of the snug fit) Im just displeased with quality of having used them less than a handfull of times before they broke.

Im just hoping the warrenty will cover it and they send me a new pair. I guess thats all I can hope for at this point.

• i'm loving these here...

AKG K240

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this post comes up every 2 months, and I wonder why people continue buying those janky "DJ" headphones when all of them are known to break easily. Skip the "dj" marketing hype and go for what everybody in radio and film uses.

it's either the sennheisers hd-25, which ain't cheap, or the sony mdr-v6's. Metal parts on that bitch, not flimsy ass plastic. Plus you can get a pair for $70.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Great for the studio as well.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

AKG K240

great for home use but not as handy for club usage since it's open ear.

• i have those same technics, and i swear by them... i dj 3-5 nights a week, so they get plenty of run, and they are as good as the day i got them (2 years ago)... they are plenty loud and have a good cup, so you don't have to go deaf fighting to hear... those silver sony v700s only lasted like 6 months for me, so i have been pleased to get 2 years out of the technics

• I use the Technics as well and they did their job for years now. They are very comfortable for deejaying and especially valuable if you do your prelistening with one ear only. IMO the sound is excellent for DJ purposes, but it also depends on the headphone output of the mixer.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I consider my Grado SR 80 the finest piece of stereo equipment I own. In head to head listening I found they were noticeably better than the SR 60 (which are also fine), but not that much worse than the SR 125. They would be terrible DJ headphones, though as they have a completely open design which does not block out any ambient noise. The AKGs are fine as well, and pretty tough--I've seen them admirably sustain abuse as the main cans used at a college radio station, although they're not indestructible.

I own the Sony 700s for DJing, which have lasted for me because they don't get the heavy abuse of a working DJ. They're fine for cueing: loud, a bit heavy but otherwise comfortable, but as everyone says, they're plastic fantastic so I could easily see them get busted and the sound is merely

• it's either the sennheisers hd-25, which ain't cheap, or the sony mdr-v6's. Metal parts on that bitch, not flimsy ass plastic. Plus you can get a pair for $70.

One good thing about the HD's is that spare parts are widely available in case of breakages.

I thought I read on Labcabin ages ago that the V6's were being discontinued, is that true?

• While in college I needed some headphones and didn't have alot of cash so I settled on the Sony "Remix" (MDR V500's, $100 Canadian!), and promised myself that I'd buy better headphones when they broke - which I presumed would be within the year. After six years of bedroom dj'ing, the occassional gig, and a weekly for the past year or so they're still workin' fine...? True the sound sucks but they're relatively comfortable and they've lasted six years.

• just the generic

• i'll one up (or down) your genericness:

mdr-v150's, no foolin'.

i use these 2-3 times a week and they break after a year or so, but always cheap to replace & loud.

(plus, they're snug on the noggin')

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

DUO Audio custom stick is the truth.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah but aren't they back for your neck?

• Grado RS-2's. They're for studio use, I can't imagine they'd be much good for DJ'ing as the sound can get in easily, and if you messed them up you'd be majorly pissed, not just minorly annoyed. I love Grados for studio use though.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, anyone tried using those in-ear design "Bud" type headphones for DJing? I am currently listening to some Al Green @ work using some Sony MDR-EX70-LP's that I've had for 6 years - total blockout of the surrounding phones (and my mobile phone)... Just wondered if these worked as well in a club?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I was about to buy those too. My $100 Sonys last about two years at the most and I'm not crazy about the sound.

I'm curious about where the Technics are broken?

this post comes up every 2 months, and I wonder why people continue buying those janky "DJ" headphones when all of them are known to break easily. Skip the "dj" marketing hype and go for what everybody in radio and film uses.

it's either the sennheisers hd-25, which ain't cheap, or the sony mdr-v6's. Metal parts on that bitch, not flimsy ass plastic. Plus you can get a pair for $70.

I'm going with your suggestion, Aser. Thanks. But...

Do you think the HD 25s are worth doubel the price of the Sonys? $199 v $70

• Sony MDR v600

I got these in 2000. I don't DJ out a lot, about once a month, but I never thought these would last as long as they have. The plastic has a little give to it so you can bend it quite a bit and it wont break. They have held up well the plether on the ear pads is pretty much all gone, but other then that they are still good. I also like them because they are not too heavy.

ah yes, those are the ones you have. i had a hard time doing the one ear shoulder cup thing with those the other night. but the fact that you wore out the pleather before breaking anything is a good sign

• ah yes, those are the ones you have. i had a hard time doing the one ear shoulder cup thing with those the other night. but the fact that you wore out the pleather before breaking anything is a good sign

If you put one side on your ear and the other infront of your other ear they stay on pretty well.

• I don't DJ or anything like that, so this recommendation is for the casual music listener.

These headphones have great bass and great sound for an affordable price.

-Handy and compact folding design for when you're not using them.
    -Not too flashy or pretty which makes them less desirable to thieves
    -Fucking good sound for the price (70$ CAN)
    -Mad comfortable
    -Lifetime warranty (must pay the 8$ shipping if something happens and you want replacements, but it remains a good look).

My mother had theses headphones when I was a kid, they've been around for hella long and the price has been almost unchanged since day one. Testament to their durability and popularity on the market.