Further thoughts on Lupe Fiasco

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
No less an authority than that Marc Ecko-designed limited edition WIRE-themed hoodie wearin' caucasian Noz has weighed in:

Comments

• you two have quiet a thing for Young Lupin the III.

LOL

I typed "Quiet" instead of quite. Someone keep my away from the magical typing space box.

• This topic is getting mad boring.

• "A case of too much cheese and not enough liquor."

Extra credit for the Bukue One reference.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This topic is getting mad boring.

Lupe Fiasco is the funniest thing currently going on in rap.

However, if you feel that way, I suggest not clicking on threads with his name in the title.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Haven't the Yin-Yang Twins held this title for years?

I'm not seeing anything all that gut busting funny about Lupe Fiasco, and all I've really seen from you on the topic is your perverse joy at his album cover.

and I'm pretty sure you've beat that dead horse into post-funny oblivion

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    As usual, noz is right on point.

Haven't the Yin-Yang Twins held this title for years?

I'm not seeing anything all that gut busting funny about Lupe Fiasco, and all I've really seen from you on the topic is your perverse joy at his album cover.

and I'm pretty sure you've beat that dead horse into post-funny oblivion

Look dude, you and Nate both sound pretty ass-hurt here.

If you don't find the dude and his fans inherently funny and/or lame then perhaps you should avoid threads that you know are going to be devoted to some mix of clowning and critique.

I'm just providing a link to a piece of writing that a lot of people who don't share your take might otherwise miss.

As always, your efforts to police the boord are appreciated, though.

• Not ass-hurt at all.

It's just weird how obsessed you are with this dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Not ass-hurt at all.

cosign.

I'd say one "I really don't like Lupe Fiasco" thread a week is more than enough to get your point across.

but in all seriousness ain't nothing more funny/sad in the world of hip-hop than the Yin-Yang Twins.

Rick Ross is definitely a blue chipper

• Is holding conscious rappers "to a higher standard" how music critics are justifying the way they give free-passes to mindless crack raps, but put conscious lyrics under a microscope? i could be in the minority, but i almost feel as if white music critics are unable to give fair reviews of rap albums. fearful of being called disconnected from the streets, you almost never hear a white music critic call dumb raps...dumb. meanwhile, the moment a rapper steps outside of commentary related to drugs, guns and hoes, the same critics will stop critiquing "flow" and wit; instead focusing on the substance of the raps.

btw, i'm not talking about this particular review, just that line about holding conscious rappers to a higher standard. maybe i'm missing the author's point. if so, someone please clarify...

• Not ass-hurt at all.

cosign.

I'd say one "I really don't like Lupe Fiasco" thread a week is more than enough to get your point across.

but in all seriousness. Ain't nothing more funny/sad than the Yin-Yang Twins in hip-hop

Actually I think Young jeezy is funnier... the way he bought his way into his record deals and just the hilarity of people giving his "skills" any kind of credibility is amazing or amusing... either or.

• skinny jeans wearing rap guys vs. baggy jeans wearing rap guys.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    skinny jeans wearing rap guys vs. baggy jeans wearing rap guys.
    baggy obv, and after hearing the lupe at a listening station i'm a little disappoitned, but i don't hate the dude.

• Is holding conscious rappers "to a higher standard" how music critics are justifying the way they give free-passes to mindless crack raps, but put conscious lyrics under a microscope? i could be in the minority, but i almost feel as if white music critics are unable to give fair reviews of rap albums. fearful of being called disconnected from the streets, you almost never hear a white music critic call dumb raps...dumb. meanwhile, the moment a rapper steps outside of commentary related to drugs, guns and hoes, the same critics will stop critiquing "flow" and wit; instead focusing on the substance of the raps.

btw, i'm not talking about this particular review, just that line about holding conscious rappers to a higher standard. maybe i'm missing the author's point. if so, someone please clarify...

My impression is that Noz means "conscious rappers" should be held to a higher standard than they currently are (by the okayplayer crowd et al), not that they should be held to a higher standard than other rappers.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

I think Faux wishes he was the chick in the Kick Push track

• I think he's just miffed that his own paramour is - in her words - "addicted to these arials and varials".

Greetings, little dudes.

I see you have spent several productive hours dissecting my likes, dislikes and "obsessions".

You may also be interested in knowing that I am an Aquarius.

And if you're thinking about getting me a bottle of wine, please don't bother unless you're willing to cross that $100 threshold.

Now I'm off to promote crack sales and generally suppress consciousness in the real world.

Toodles.

• Now I'm off to promote crack sales and generally suppress consciousness in the real world.

Do you write for a newspaper or just have a blog?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Lupe Fiasco is lame and his whole movement is hella limp wristed.

Like noz said, this is the same douche that claims he used to hate rap. But hes all about limited edition stussy action figures and shit. In a word? Gay.

• And if you're thinking about getting me a bottle of wine, please don't bother unless you're willing to cross that $100 threshold.

Public Defender ==

Who knew?

You haven't adressed the root of you obsession though.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "A case of too much cheese and not enough liquor."

Extra credit for the Bukue One reference.

I was both relieved and disappointed that no one else caught that.

• And if you're thinking about getting me a bottle of wine, please don't bother unless you're willing to cross that $100 threshold.

Public Defender ==

Who knew?

Snowboarders >>>>>> Public Defenders

BTW: I don't think that Faux is a PD, but would that somehow place him beneath you as one who shreds?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "Chris Luva" is the funniest thing currently going on in rap.

Public Defender ==

Who knew?

Snowboarders >>>>>> Public Defenders

BTW: I don't think that Faux is a PD, but would that somehow place him beneath you as one who shreds?

Dude, everybody is beneath thine who like to be

• You don't appear to know what "thine" means, but by all means, shred on.

• Greetings, little dudes.

I see you have spent several productive hours dissecting my likes, dislikes and "obsessions".

You may also be interested in knowing that I am an Aquarius.

And if you're thinking about getting me a bottle of wine, please don't bother unless you're willing to cross that $100 threshold.

Now I'm off to promote crack sales and generally suppress consciousness in the real world.

Toodles.