Who's DJ Harvey?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Some sort of nomadic disco legend?I came across an old playlist: Crown Heights Affair - Far Out D Train - You're The One For MeSoulsonic Force - Wild StylePat Lundy - Work SongDubset - OnyegeeForrrce - Keep On Dancin'Herbie Hancock - You Bet Your LoveWomack & Womack - TeardropsWar - GalaxyPatti Labelle - Teach Me TonightEvelyn King - ShameDr Buzzard's Savannah Band - SunshowerSamba Soul - Mas Que NadaCellophane - Super QueenGloria Gaynor - Walk On ByTulio De Piscopo - Stop BajonSergio Mendes - I'll Tell YouChaka Khan - Too Much LoveMongo Santamaria - MazecoteJoe Gibbs - Bionic EncounterJackmaster Dick - Sensuous Man Goes DiscoAswad - Aswad Warrior ChargeFirst Choice - The Player Lenny Williams - I Still Reach OutSabu Martinez - Hotel AlyssaApril Dawn - Love CrimeLafayette Afro Rock Band - OglenonBarrabas - Mellow BlowDetroit Emeralds - Feel The NeedA Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie OogieEarth, Wind & Fire - PowerSerious Intention - You Don't KnowTito Puente - Salsa SalsaDerrick - Boogie TimesKing Tubby - Roman DubLed Zeppelin - Whote Lotta LoveHeaven & Earth - I Really Love YouDeodato - Are You For Real?Steve Miller Band - Macho CityTyree - Hard Core Hip HouseWillie Hutch - Foxy LadyDonna McGee - Make It Last ForeverMayday - Nude Photo 88Edwin Maduro - It Ain't LoveSpiders Webb - I Don't Know What's On Your MindMelodious Myles - Melodious MylesJackson 5 - Forever Came TodaySpirit Of Atlanta - Messin' AroundGladys Knight - Love Is On Your MindEdnah Holt - Serious Sirius Space Party and a mixtape http://www.harveysarcasticdisco.com/cd/index.htmand i've become intrigued?Who can school me on this dude?

Comments

• Apparently the batteries ran out on your hipster raydar.
    The cult of harvey runs pretty deep these days.He is respected disco dj that has become very influential to many and is responsible for breaking a lot of tunes over the years.He also is known for his edits released on his own black cock imprint.hope this helps...

• DJ Harvey started his DJ'ing days in London, moved to LA and now plys his trade in Hawaii.

Legend started with his 'Quiet Storm' parties, his Black Cock edit label, and his remix work.

He was kinda instrumental in the whole balaeric thing and is regarded by most as being the best in the business....certainly when it comes to eclectic sets.

Best place to read up about Harvey and why people hold him in such high esteem is to ask the same question you have here over at Bill Brewsters djhistory.com site.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Harvey seems to have been around for years. First I heard of him was via his involvement with the Tonka Sound System in the late 80's and, after that, through Moist, his club night at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden in the early 90's, where he famously brought Larry Levan to the UK for the first time in about seven or eight years. Back then, the kind of things he played tended to lean more towards the house/disco end of things, but it wasn't by any means unusual to hear him play records like Steve Miller's "Macho City", when those kind of selections perhaps represented more of a risk than they might do now. He was involved in a few residencies in London in the mid-to-late 90's where he tried to promote that whole "anything goes" ethos of DJ'ing, most notably at Ministry Of Sound and the Blue Note, but I think the combination of increasingly conservative crowds and inadequate club systems may have had some influence on his decision to abandon the UK. This was a real shame, as he's probably one of the four or five best DJs I've ever heard, and it'd be great to hear him play in London again sometime.

You might also want to check this out, courtesy of the Lovefingers blog. Incomplete tracklist courtesy of the djhistory.com forums.

Chicago - Freeform Guitar
    Rare Earth - Magic Key
    Earth Wind & Fire - Power
    (unidentified fx)
    Funkadelic - Superstupid
    Black Cock interlude
    Loggins & Messina - Pathway To Glory
    Black Cock - Liftoman
    (unidentified guitar fx)
    Mandre - ?
    Deep Purple - Space Truckin'
    ?
    Honk - Blue Of Your Backdrop
    Chicago - Freeform Guitar
    Rare Earth - Get Ready
    Steve Miller Band - Space Intro (?)
    Peter Green - Slabo Day
    The Residents - 3rd Reich & Roll
    King Crimson - In The Wake of Poseidon
    unidentified fx

• He's stayed in the States because he's got green card issues and can't be sure of getting back in if he leaves the country. I know him and Choci from Cambridge and from about 87 to 94 I was a Tonka regular (Moist too). As well as bringing over to the UK Tony Humphries, Larry Levan, Francois K and all the rest he used to do amazing all night 10 hour sets covering every kind of music you could think of. He's also a very accomplished musician and a nice feller. I've got loads of old mix Tonka-era tapes from Marky, Rev, Marv, Choci, Robert and, apart from Marky's, only Harvey's mixes have really stood the test of time and still sound like you could play them out today.

Can't quite remember but I think he was a drummer for Katrina and the Waves for a short while in the mid 80s.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Can't quite remember but I think he was a drummer for Katrina and the Waves for a short while in the mid 80s.

Thought it was Tim Love Lee who was their keyboardplayer before the Eurovision song contest

Any given sunday I'd take a Harvey set over a raer facemelting emo-psych break that was sampled on a random rap record. And the ladies feel the same about this.

Thought it was Tim Love Lee who was their keyboardplayer before the Eurovision song contest

I've now managed to establish that Harvey played on one or two of the early Jamiroquai records, although I've no idea which ones.

• Can't quite remember but I think he was a drummer for Katrina and the Waves for a short while in the mid 80s.

I've now managed to establish that Harvey played on one or two of the early Jamiroquai records, although I've no idea which ones.

He also had a hand in a couple of the Moton, Inc edit releases, playing the drums on the 'Northbeach' 12".

• That would make sense as Jay Kay used to go to the Tonka sound system parties.

He also had a hand in a couple of the Moton, Inc edit releases, playing the drums on the 'Northbeach' 12".

I knew he had some involvement with Moton - his & Diesel's re-edit of Billy Paul's "East" was pretty good. I don't know that "Northbeach" one, though.

• Apparently the batteries ran out on your hipster raydar.

Apparently???

Well thanks people- this looks like somebody I should check out next time he's in town. What's the word on the Maps of Africa project?

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    promo copies of the LP have been floating around for some time
    word on the street is that even to nouvelle balearique standards
    it sorta blows

• I knew he had some involvement with Moton - his & Diesel's re-edit of Billy Paul's "East" was pretty good. I don't know that "Northbeach" one, though.

Here ya go -

http://www.4shared.com/file/4012688/8a418487/northbeach_edit.html

Just a snippet from the whole track, which is around 7 minutes long, including some great soloing work from Harvey. Essentially, it's an edit of George Dukes 'North Beach'.

Harvey also did a nice job of remixing one of my tunes. Very nice bloke, is Harvey.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Map of Africa definatly doesnt float everyones boat.. and the hype is UNREAL

that said i've been feelin most of the tracks.. dirty lovin was dope.

there's a huge interview / video of harvey o nthe redbull music academy site if you wanna here him break it down straight for mthe horses mouth.