I never liked the term "RAP MUSIC/RAP"

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
The term always rubbed me the wrong way. Is GrandMaster Flash - Wheels of Steel a "RAP" song? WTF?Planet Rock? Shadow's Endtroducing?I know most cats associate/associated the music w/ the "rappin" but I though it was such a simple/narrow name for this shit. And yes we all know the MC has eclipsed the DJ for a minute now, but I still cringe a little if someone asks me if I like "RAP". That's like sayin "Breakdance Music".Old/Bitter/Ranting....

Comments

• rap music is dope

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rap music is dope

LOL

• Do you have too much time on your hands?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rap music is dope

It's called "the rap music," thanks. Leaving out the "the" is for commies.

• black music, you know, like the Europeans say.

• The term always rubbed me the wrong way. Is GrandMaster Flash - Wheels of Steel a "RAP" song? WTF?
    Planet Rock? Shadow's Endtroducing?
    I know most cats associate/associated the music w/ the "rappin" but I though it was such a simple/narrow name for this shit. And yes we all know the MC has eclipsed the DJ for a minute now, but I still cringe a little if someone asks me if I like "RAP".
    That's like sayin "Breakdance Music".

So what name SHOULD it be called? You haven't told us that yet.

(And don't just cop out and say "music." Makes it harder for us non-rap fans to avoid it! )

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

So what name SHOULD it be called?

Hip Hop batches!!!!

• I like the word "Rap" because it scares the squares.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The only thing thugs can do for me is rap.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Don't worry, Batmon - the NBA starts up real soon, and you'll
    have plenty to think about then...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    On the subject of Rap/Hip-hop, can yall suggest me something along the lines of Big L, Tupac, The Game. (No, i'm not down with hyphy or most of the south shit). Something that bangs in the whip.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    On the subject of Rap/Hip-hop, can yall suggest me something along the lines of Big L, Tupac, The Game. (No, i'm not down with hyphy or most of the south shit). Something that bangs in the whip.

then you don't belong here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also you hate rap.

I'm depressingly sober right now........................................

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

then you don't belong here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also you hate rap.

I'm depressingly sober right now........................................

sober? YOU ARE SO NOT RAP.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    I like to use the term rap music because I find it amusing. It reminds me of corny white girls asking me if I'm listening to "hardcore rap" And the word rap just sounds great, it gives me the same small amount of delight that I get when I use the term robot.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    black music, you know, like the Europeans say.

I've only ever heard older black folks use the term 'black music'

'Hip hop' is a media catchphrase

Whereas rap/rapp goes waaaaaay back

• i love saying shit like "are you writing your raps right now?" to my friends that "rap". "give him the mic so he can bust a rap!", shit like this. i know it annoys "rap" guys but it's just so gosh darn fun to say. "hey are you going to that rap concert tonight?". "they had a nice little rap circle going in the parking lot the other night". "hey are you that guy that raps in that rap group?". ""the dj was playing mostly rap songs".

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    When i was a kid growing up in the early 80s, there used to be these advertisments in the papers for 'Rap lines' some of the ads had pictures of pretty ladies. Some of the bigger kids at school knew about them and said if you called them a naked lady was on the other line.
    So one day me and my friend Shane called up, we put a towel over the reciever because this kid Brian told us itd make our voices sound deeper, and i said "hello, what are you doing?" the woman on the other end of the phone told me to "Fuck off you little shit" and hung up.

Cut to the first time i saw the header card in the local record store that said 'Rap music'.

Rap music is sweet.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"Hip-Hop" has so much embarassing baggage at this point that I hate to use it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Can you be a little more specific?

Rap/Rap music?

Were the pioneers callin' this RAP when the MC wasn't the focal point in the 70/early 80s?

Were the pioneers callin' this RAP when the MC wasn't the focal point in the 70/early 80s?

Yes. I'm speaking as a guy who was 12-years old when "Rapper's Delight" came out. Now, I don't know what they called it when Kool Herc used to rock parties in the park, but by the time the first rap RECORDS came out towards the end of 1979, they called it rap from the gitgo. No one knew how long the shit would last, though...

Next thing you know, y'all are gonna think that no one called R&B "soul" until white hipsters invented the term in the 2000's...

Yes. I'm speaking as a guy who was 12-years old when "Rapper's Delight" came out. Now, I don't know what they called it when Kool Herc used to rock parties in the park, but by the time the first rap RECORDS came out towards the end of 1979, they called it rap from the gitgo. No one knew how long the shit would last, though...

The culture/music predates Rapper's Delight. Your sayin the record determines the moniker? The industry drives the culture?

"Hip-Hop" has so much embarassing baggage at this point that I hate to use it.

The next time some snotnosed kid wants to try to school me on the difference between 'rap' and 'hip hop' music I may get violent

I wasn't there, but from what I understand deliving some lines over the mic at a party could have been called a rap or rapp the same way it could've been called that in the 60s

• The next time some snotnosed kid wants to try to school me on the difference between 'rap' and 'hip hop' music I may get violent

I wasn't there, but from what I understand deliving some lines over the mic at a party could have been called a rap or rapp the same way it could've been called that in the 60s

Spinning breaks for dancin kids isnt rapping.

I never referred to my CC4/Jazzy5/MastadonCommitee/ForceMCs/Fantastic5/T3/Busy Bee tapes as Rap tapes/music.

Spinning breaks for dancin kids isnt rapping.

I agree, as I stated the lines delivered by a guy holding a mic at said party event could be.

Personally I would rather call that 'a deejay cutting up breaks' then try to get wrapped up in all this 'elements' rigamarole.

Yes. I'm speaking as a guy who was 12-years old when "Rapper's Delight" came out. Now, I don't know what they called it when Kool Herc used to rock parties in the park, but by the time the first rap RECORDS came out towards the end of 1979, they called it rap from the gitgo.[/b] No one knew how long the shit would last, though...

The culture/music predates Rapper's Delight.

I knew that, and I made that point already and got it out of the way. Refer back to what I wrote up above in boldface[/b], please...

Your sayin the record determines the moniker?
    Well, the shit had to start SOMEWHERE...why not? THIS PARTICULAR RECORD may as well have. (And don't come at me with that "Thomas Edison recorded the first rap back in 1877 with 'Mary Had A Little Lamb'" nonsense; I'm talking about rap AS WE NOW KNOW IT.)

The industry drives the culture?
    Now, THAT, I don't believe for a minute.