american hardcore

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
any y'all folks seen it yet. looks interesting, i may try to check this out this weekend.here's the trailer/websitehere[/b]

Comments

• The movie does look interesting. Kaleefa wrote a great piece on it in the times yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/21/arts/music/21sann.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

He was so right about the Bad Brains being the best in that scene for miles!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm gonna check this out.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Speaking of Bad Brains, check out this PM Magazine piece from their early days:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    The movie does look interesting. Kaleefa wrote a great piece on it in the times yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/21/arts/music/21sann.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

a debatable statement...

while i LOVE the bad brains, i wouldn't say they're better than black flag...

the article was ok... not really sure dude "gets" hardcore, but nice to see the film get some shine... i'm gonna see it tonight...

incidentally:

What can you say about a video of Choke, from the Boston band Negative FX, wearing a Bruins jersey and bellowing a knuckleheaded song called ???Might Makes Right???? This scene wasn???t pretty. To anyone who doesn???t love it, hardcore must seem downright indefensible.

choke is now a hairdresser who summers in provindencetown and the drummer from Negative FX is now a soul/funk record dealer from philly...

• no dude... bad brains were quite simply the best hardcore band that ever was, no question. they were on so many levels. unfade-able baby, understand this.

no dude... bad brains were quite simply the best hardcore band that ever was, no question. they were on so many levels. unfade-able baby, understand this.

black flag never made shitty metal records...

• ahem... rollins band thank you very much. but dont get me wrong i love black flag (as i am a native l.A'er) but they ain't fucking with bad brains.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Ahem...

BTW, the movie is amazing.

• Blag Flag +'s: SST Records, their never ending tour schedule when they were around and many of their other bands after Black Flag.

Bad Brains +'s: H.R. being crazy and members being in a prog rock band before.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ahem... rollins band thank you very much. but dont get me wrong i love black flag (as i am a native l.A'er) but they ain't fucking with bad brains.
    Both Bad Brains & Black Flag tried their best to screw up their reps with dubious later releases so they are both as guilty as each other. Luckily the early stuff from both bands is so great. I prefer to think of each as 2 different bands ie. Black Flag pre Rollins is better than Black Flag with Rollins. Bad Brains up to the mid-late 80s is better than Bad Brains late 80s-today.

Blag Flag +'s: SST Records, their never ending tour schedule when they were around and many of their other bands after Black Flag.

Bad Brains +'s: H.R. being crazy and members being in a prog rock band before.
    Also not to discount HR's whole homophobic incident with the Big Boys,

Ahem...

that record has 2 great songs (bastard in love and the title track), which is one more than Quickness had (soulcraft)

Ahem...

that record has 2 great songs (bastard in love and the title track), which is one more than Quickness had (soulcraft)
    Don't forget the tepid funk metal snooze turd that is 'Rise', on Madonna's label too no less, nice. Still though, I'll stick to the opinion that you do not need any of the Black Flag albums after Damaged or any Bad Brains post I Against I.

• true but bad brains are still the best hands down. DK & Minor Threat tie for close second.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Minor Threat

Minor Threat

Minor Threat

missed the movie over the weekend....gonna check it tomorrow night after work.

Still though, I'll stick to the opinion that you do not need any of the Black Flag albums after Damaged or any Bad Brains post I Against I.

say it aint so, joe

• Still though, I'll stick to the opinion that you do not need any of the Black Flag albums after Damaged or any Bad Brains post I Against I.

say it aint so, joe

Best Rollins-era Black Flag LP. Yes, Damaged is great, but My War was some next level shit when it came out...

OK guys, I totally forgot about My War, sorry, definitely a worthy record. I must not realise how I have become

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What can you say about a video of Choke, from the Boston band Negative FX, wearing a Bruins jersey and bellowing a knuckleheaded song called ???Might Makes Right???? This scene wasn???t pretty. To anyone who doesn???t love it, hardcore must seem downright indefensible.

You had to be there to appreciate it

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Anyone seen this?
    Afro-Punk: The Documentary
    Here is a small preview on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=9g8SB1NIYDo&search=afro%20punk

I saw a bootleg copy of it the other day and I was thinking about buying it?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Anyone seen this?
    Here is a small preview on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=9g8SB1NIYDo&search=afro%20punk

i went to the opening, and i currently work with the girl who was dating the dude from ten grand when he died.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Still though, I'll stick to the opinion that you do not need any of the Black Flag albums after Damaged or any Bad Brains post I Against I.

say it aint so, joe

Best Rollins-era Black Flag LP. Yes, Damaged is great, but My War was some next level shit when it came out...

The songs on "My War" are great, but the production is soooooo shitty. Hunt this down to hear the superior versions of "My War" and "Slip it In" tracks:

Chuck Biscuits on drums =

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Anyone seen this?

I saw an early cut of it, my band played some fund raisers for the film while it was being made and I'm pretty sure we're in there somewhere. It's OK, but to me there wsa an awful lot of people either feeling sorry for themselves because they didn't fit in, or feeling self-righteous because they didn't fit in. But it's still pretty interesting.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    any y'all folks seen it yet. looks interesting, i may try to check this out this weekend.

here's the trailer/website

here[/b]

skipped it at the film festival but heard it was pretty weak/disappointing from a few folks who did go.

• no dude... bad brains were quite simply the best hardcore band that ever was, no question. they were on so many levels. unfade-able baby, understand this.

Uh,what about

Also:the book is a little bit suspect. No love for the D? What gives?

say it aint so, joe

The songs on "My War" are great, but the production is soooooo shitty. Hunt this down to hear the superior versions of "My War" and "Slip it In" tracks:

Chuck Biscuits on drums =

yeah, the versions of My War on there are just ferocious... however, my fav songs on "my war" are the dirges, specifically "3 nights", and as far as i know there's no other studio version of that....

no dude... bad brains were quite simply the best hardcore band that ever was, no question. they were on so many levels. unfade-able baby, understand this.

Uh,what about

Also:the book is a little bit suspect. No love for the D? What gives?

this is NOT a metal record... as someone pointed out earlier, "loose nut" was def. their metalish move... "in my head" is actually my fav Flag record these days, b/c it feel like it was Ginn's most succesful fusion of jazz and punk... i listen to it more than any other flag record... songs like "in my head" and "white hot" are just amazing...

re: the film, checked it last night at the Angelika in NYC, where the speakers were blown and the F train was louder than the movie...

that said, i enjoyed it... yeah, some things could have been better, but it was a solid, insightful documentry on hardcore, something i'd never thought i'd see in a million years...

what's "the d"?

d boon? detroit?