Al Green Bitchezz!!! Appreciate!

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Here's to one of my all time favorite singers. The "New" Al Green:

Comments

• I had a moment while listening to "back up train" a few weeks ago. he is incredible.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Untouchable.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    He's played in the Bay Area a lot it seems lately and I should shoot myself for not going. The times I've seen him perform on TV have always been live. I remember several years ago a performance he did on David Letterman where he got the entire crowd on their feet clapping, dancing and singing the chorus of his song at the end. Amazing stuff. I would love to experience that live.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i like checkin his albums...

can't front on this one...

"I'm Still In Love With You"

and like you may have guessed from the similar recent thread i also have...

at one point or another i've had...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    He's played in the Bay Area a lot it seems lately and I should shoot myself for not going. The times I've seen him perform on TV have always been live. I remember several years ago a performance he did on David Letterman where he got the entire crowd on their feet clapping, dancing and singing the chorus of his song at the end. Amazing stuff. I would love to experience that live.

Yeah he came to London last year and me and my girl were all set to go see him, hesitated and then found he was sold out. I'm praying that he comes this way again.

His voice is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard. I once wrote "while Marvin's voice is the ultimate in seduction and foreplay I've always thought Al's voice was more like the act of sex itself, all shrieks and growls" and while I hang my head at the pretention in that statement I stand by my belief that his voice creates emotional responses on a whole nother level..

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I recall reading years ago that Al got religion when some scorned bird threw a pan of boiling water over him... Is this true or ??

• I recall reading years ago that Al got religion when some scorned bird threw a pan of boiling water over him... Is this true or ??

that is true...he wouldn't marry her, she freaked...apparently, has some bad scars on his back.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Yeah he came to London last year and me and my girl were all set to go see him, hesitated and then found he was sold out. I'm praying that he comes this way again.

Definitely grab tickets for Al the next time he swings your way. I caught him in NJ last year, and he was absolutely singing his ass off and still on the top of his game. Not many of the revered artists on the 'Strut are still here with us, or can still bring their 'A' game to the stage, but Al is one of the exceptions.

• it was hot grits, check the Elijah and the Ebonites tune on Capsoul dedicated to the incident.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

DONT SLEEP!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    it was hot grits, check the Elijah and the Ebonites tune on Capsoul dedicated to the incident.

There is no backmelt graemlin. Yet.

• Occasionally, on the in-house Sunday morn or after work mix I'll play "God blessed our love" off 'Al Green explores your mind'. for my girl and she melts....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it......what other LP's from the 70's did that band play on???

• I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it......what other LP's from the 70's did that band play on???

Ann Peebles, Willie Mitchell...

• APPRECIATED!!!

I only went to one ACL Fest but it was 2003 and I got to see the motherfuckin' man Al Green and it was amazing. Dood didn't wanna stop singing and performing.

"I'm Still in Love With You" is constantly in the running for my fave album ever.

But goddamn y'all...."Jesus is Waiting" is some filth and you need to peep it out.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it......what other LP's from the 70's did that band play on???

Yep......did they ever appear on anything outside the Hi label tracks??

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• Yeah he came to London last year and me and my girl were all set to go see him, hesitated and then found he was sold out. I'm praying that he comes this way again.

Definitely grab tickets for Al the next time he swings your way. I caught him in NJ last year, and he was absolutely singing his ass off and still on the top of his game. Not many of the revered artists on the 'Strut are still here with us, or can still bring their 'A' game to the stage, but Al is one of the exceptions.

I saw him like a year and a half ago in DC and seeing him do "Simply Beautiful" live was fucking awesome.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    love al.
    a family staple.

that hi band is ridiculous.

ov wright was another hi-guy, right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What the story behind the white kid backup singers. Do they appear on other records besides Al Green's.

• don't forget about SYL JOHNSON, mangs!

other HI 45-only w/ hodges bros to look out for would include JEAN PLUM, WILLIE WALKER, and IRMA COFFEE.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it.

Yes, I am with you here. Believe it not but I just heard Otis Clay for the first time right before the summer, and then had to hunt down some of his 45s.

As for Syl Johnson and Al Green, does anyone know which one started recording with Hi first? Because damn if there aren't some singles that have almost the EXACT same sound even in the vocals.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Denise LaSalle Trapped By a Thing Called Love on Westbound

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it.

Yes, I am with you here. Believe it not but I just heard Otis Clay for the first time right before the summer, and then had to hunt down some of his 45s.

Don't sleep on the two LPs on Hi.

As for Syl Johnson and Al Green, does anyone know which one started recording with Hi first? Because damn if there aren't some singles that have almost the EXACT same sound even in the vocals.

Al by a few years... I love those Syl Johnson recordings on Hi, but in some ways I think Mitchell may have done him an injustice by pressing him too much into the Al Green mould.

• it was hot grits, check the Elijah and the Ebonites tune on Capsoul dedicated to the incident.

Actually it was hot water being boiled to make hot grits. I think for a long time everybody thought it was grits, then Al clarified how it really went down in an interview years after the fact.

• I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it.

Don't sleep on the two LPs on Hi.

Or for that matter, any Otis Clay on any label (he's never terrible, but he TORE IT UP on those One-Derful singles.

Al by a few years... I love those Syl Johnson recordings on Hi, but in some ways I think Mitchell may have done him an injustice by pressing him too much into the Al Green mould.
    I don't really agree...compare the two men's different versions of "Take Me To The River." Syl, IMO, is at a different raunch level than Al's. (Although Syl was indeed jealous of Al's success...according to Syl, everytime it looked like he would cross over into the pop market, Al would come out with a new record and totally chill Syl's shit...all the pop promo went to the new Al Green while Syl never broke out of the R&B market. That's what Syl says, anyway.)

• I'm a big fan of the Hi Session band....Hodges Bros et al......been listening to the Otis Clay Hi stuff and lovin' it......what other LP's from the 70's did that band play on???

Just about every black artist on the Hi/M.O.C/Pawn labels (singles as well as albums).

Denise LaSalle Trapped By a Thing Called Love on Westbound

I think they're on Denise's other two Westbound albums as well. There's also three Detroit Emeralds albums on Westbound that had Hi Rhythm playing behind them: Do Me Right; You Want It, You Got It; and I'm In Love With You.

• What the story behind the white kid backup singers. Do they appear on other records besides Al Green's.

They are Donna Rhodes, Charles Chalmers (can you believe, a GUY singing that high!), and Sandra Rhodes...they're heard on Denise LaSalle's Westbound records, plus just about every soul record on Hi that has female vocals.

They also had scattered solo records, both alone and together.

• love al.
    a family staple.

that hi band is ridiculous.

ov wright was another hi-guy, right?

Not only did he record three albums for Hi, but a few of his Back Beat recordings had the Hi house band behind him as well (like "A Nickel & A Nail").

• one of my all time favorites!