What comes to mind when you hear "90's Music" ?

JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
So the boss has asked us to book a night of 90's music.....yeah exactly what the fuck does that mean??Techno? Electronica? Trip Hop D&B?? GRUNGE??? I dont know, needing some ideas here..so the question is....WHAT IS 90's Music and how would you fill 4hrs a week with it??We were thinking just to trash the whole night and have a Reggae and Dub Night and incorporate Domino tournys into the mix??Help me come up with some ideas folks....need some new flavor.

Comments

• It's gonna be some time before I look back at the 90's fondly, music-wise at least.

Some *things* that come to mind when I think of 90's music:

New Jack Swing-ish (BBD, Montell Jordan, Wreckz n Effect)
    Grunge (Pearl Jam, STP, Bush, etc...)
    the Spin Doctors
    the Gin Blossoms
    G-Funk-ish (Dr. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube)
    Digable Planets
    Nine Inch Nails
    Lucas with the lid on
    and
    Rave shit...

...I'm more of an 80's and early 00's dude.

SG

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    two things

or

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    personally, I think there was just tons of great groups from the 90's. must of which were not mainstream although there was some decent bigger groups outta that 10 year span of course...

• I would argue that electronic music was the defining and most innovative element in the 90s and it was huge in the clubs (at least over here). Thus, for a 90s night: various types of electronic music, but esp. breakbeats - D&B (trip-hop for the chill-out area ). If it has to be a little more common: the prodigy, fatboyslim, chemical brothers.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    when i think 90's music, i think hootie & the blowfish, blues traveler, and all the other god-awful bullshit i have to hear at work every day.

also i think of horribly depressing periods of my life before i discovered music i actually liked and listened to the "alternative" station on a regular basis.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    the 90's was post-modern yet so naive as well. by the year 2000, things just stopped being new anymore. what a great decade, the global climate was better, the music was better, the films were better. i guess i'm sentimental about it because i became socially and culturally aware during that decade and therefore means a lot to me.

the years 92-96 were just incredible for cultural output. there's no point even trying to list the things that came out. plus i just watched that jon stewart clip on september 11 so i'm feel emotionally raught right about now. GREAT DAYS!

• Rave shit...

Totally!

two things

or

LOL I dunno...maybe if you EXCLUDE HIP HOP.

personally, I think there was just tons of great groups from the 90's. must of which were not mainstream although there was some decent bigger groups outta that 10 year span of course...

Isnt it always like that though?

I would argue that electronic music was the defining and most innovative element in the 90s and it was huge in the clubs (at least over here). Thus, for a 90s night: various types of electronic music, but esp. breakbeats - D&B (trip-hop for the chill-out area ). If it has to be a little more common: the prodigy, fatboyslim, chemical brothers.

yes, somehow my boss thinks this is the next new/old trend... the next shining moment if you will, in club happenings....who knows? I dont think he knows what to think....somebody told him it was the shit and he believed it. It would be easy if it was only 90's Hip Hop...but of course this is aimed in the opposite direction. There was def. a lot of good R&B in the 90's and pre emo post new wave junk...but I dont know if I can get down with 4 hours of techno or grunge..maybe Im missing something?

You are all right on though. What are we forgetting?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    New Jack Swing-ish (BBD, Montell Jordan, Wreckz n Effect)
    Grunge (Pearl Jam, STP, Bush, etc...)
    the Spin Doctors
    the Gin Blossoms
    G-Funk-ish (Dr. Dre, Snoop, Ice Cube)
    Digable Planets
    Nine Inch Nails
    Lucas with the lid on
    and
    Rave shit...

...Neo Soul
    Horrorcore
    New Jill Swing
    Math Rock
    Folktronica
    Electro(clash)
    Nu-Jazz
    Blip-Hop
    Jungle
    Drum-N-Bass..

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    free jazz
    hip hop

most places go for this as the "new 80s"--"oh, i remember this song"

so popular and maybe a few "obscure"
    but. they prolly wanna hear shit like...
    James--Laid
    MBV--Soon
    Nirvana--Come as you are
    Happy Mondays--Kinky Afro
    Pavement--Summer Babe
    Beck--Loser
    Weezer--Buddy Holly
    Oasis--Wonderwall

• Don't forget all the corny early to mid 90's booty bass out of Atl and Florida.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    most places go for this as the "new 80s"--"oh, i remember this song"
    so popular and maybe a few "obscure"
    but. they prolly wanna hear shit like...
    James--Laid
    MBV--Soon
    Nirvana--Come as you are
    Happy Mondays--Kinky Afro
    Pavement--Summer Babe
    Beck--Loser
    Weezer--Buddy Holly
    Oasis--Wonderwall

Music @ any bar in America.

• Happy Mondays--Kinky Afro

Can't Hatt on the Mondays, though. "Pills N Thrills" was my shit!

SG

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Madchester, unfortunately. And too many keyboards.

• So the boss has asked us to book a night of 90's music.....yeah exactly what the fuck does that mean??

It means Mr. Jeigh gets to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit" again!

We were thinking just to trash the whole night and have a Reggae and Dub Night and incorporate Domino tournys into the mix??

If you don't fly me up to play this, I will hate you forever.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Plaese to avoid crappy retro big band bullshit ala Brian Setzer Orchestra.

• Smells like teenspirit!

Your welcome back anytime! And next time hopefully me knees wont be swollen to the size of softballs and I can actually chill out for awhile. That day was murder..the height of my pain and realizing my condtion was taking its toll. I am very sorry I missed most of that night.

Anyways, Ive been itching to do another domino tournament..but we are thinking of having a chill dub and reggae night and putting domino sets out on the tables for fun. It would probably be more likely to have a domino contest once a month or something.

The whole "90's music" thing is weird. I forgot to mention that this would unfortunatly exclude hip hop otherwise it would be easy as pie. Oh well, we will figure it out.

• People go pretty nutso over The Breeders - Cannonball.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The thing that bums me out the most about rock in the 90's is that for a couple of years it looked like decent music could actaully get media attention. By about 1995 or 6 though it was becoming obvious that it would be bullshit like Pearl Jam that would be remembered. It was depressing to watch while it was happening.

• the problem with this subject is that it brings A LOT of things to mind, esp. because i think that was the last time i watched mtv. there are remnants of alt-rock swimming in my head, it's got to goooo
    bear with me on this list, i think it's going to be some sort of catharsis.

velocity girl
    pavement
    dambuilders
    sugar
    pavement
    frank black
    pavement
    suede
    blur
    trash can sinatras
    soul asylum
    16 deluxe
    luscious jackson
    ride
    that dog.
    mc 900ft. jesus
    betty serveert
    jesus & mary chain
    stereo mcs
    detachable penis ...
    they might be giants
    neds atomic dustbin
    carter the unstoppable sex machine
    nelson
    the posies
    the las

i will stop here, and hope that some band doesn't pop in my mind as i'm trying to fall asleep. by no means are these suggestions for what to dig up and play for 90s related music, i just needed to clear my mind!!

ugly kid joe
    soundgarden

see what's happening?

urban dance squad
    disposable heroes of hiphoprisy

HELLLLP....STOPPPP

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    1997 was the worst year[/b] for pop music ever.