mpc 500. good lawd

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    when will they just give up?

• when will they just give up?

Would you? People will buy this, its an MPC (which is what the asspiring "producers" have read they need) its portable and its got USB.

Perfect for little timmys 1st hip hop album. Don't knock the hustle.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i got 2 words for you: battery powered.

sweet.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    battery powered is nice but i really don't see the point beyond that
    it really makes no sense to get this over a 1000 as your first mpc and it's probably going to be priced in between the 1000 and 2500 so it won't be a cheaper alternative.

i mean, i love mpcs and all but akai hasn't really come up with any new ideas in a while now

• chasechase 767 Posts

sweet.

yeah seems nifty... but I wonder how long they last.. why not just get a trigger finger and a laptop? Ahh well I guess thats not as compact..

• i got 2 words for you: battery powered.

sweet.
    yeah thats the selling point for me. 12 pads is a little wierd, but chromatically it works out better. I think its retailing at $799. The thing i dont like is the screen.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah seems nifty... but I wonder how long they last.. why not just get a trigger finger and a laptop?
    well, mpcs are reknown for ease of workflow. trigger finger and the like combined with a laptop essentially accomplishes the same thing but for me (and others) it's a lot harder to just dive in and make shit (although i never finish anything.) i haven't used computer sequencers much, but i have heard a lot of complaints about timing compared to mpcs.

nowadays though, if i had to recommend shit to someone just starting out, i would just tell them to get trigger finger and some sort of midi keyboard along with some bootleg software.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

sweet.
    yeah thats the selling point for me. 12 pads is a little wierd, but chromatically it works out better. I think its retailing at $799. The thing i dont like is the screen.
    wtf is the point of having it priced nearly the same as the 1000? akai has seriously had their heads up their asses for the past few years

• i got 2 words for you: battery powered.

sweet.
    wtf is the point of having it priced nearly the same as the 1000? akai has seriously had their heads up their asses for the past few years
    well its gonna be the holidays soon. There gonna drop it and clean up real fast then drop the price down to like $599 most likly. I love the mpc series though. I also use computer sequncers but the mpc's seq is so much more intutive. Just loops 4 bars so you can lay down shit on top of that. That is a nice fast way to work and flow thru a track. I dont use my though for sampling anymore, just as a sequncer, cause i can do alot more editing on the pc and use virutal samplers that have alot more options then the mpcs limited percussion sampling engine. But yeah to the newjack anymore, warez and a cheap midiman key board/sound card setup is more then enough. This thing would just function as an on the go sketch pad.

• snosno 332 Posts
    yeah seems nifty... but I wonder how long they last.. why not just get a trigger finger and a laptop?
    well, mpcs are reknown for ease of workflow. trigger finger and the like combined with a laptop essentially accomplishes the same thing but for me (and others) it's a lot harder to just dive in and make shit (although i never finish anything.) i haven't used computer sequencers much, but i have heard a lot of complaints about timing compared to mpcs.

nowadays though, if i had to recommend shit to someone just starting out, i would just tell them to get trigger finger and some sort of midi keyboard along with some bootleg software.

The Trigger finger is a bitch to set up for starter. It doesn't come with a manual (you have to download it from M-Audio's website), and the Enigma application is not friendly to an average Timmy who wants to bang out a beat rightaway. Some people I talked to works like a wizard on MPC, but they cannot wrap the head around the basic setting up of a Trigger Finger (although using Trigger Finger with Native Instruments' Battery is possibly the closest to MPC as far as computer is concerned).

That said, the battery-operated MPC is a nifty idea. I just wonder if there's a warning mechanism about battery dying out in the middle of a session...

• yeah i own the trigger finger for my laptop rig and that thing is a pain in the ass. Its a hassle to setup new note numbers, and enigma gave me a headache for a hot minute. It isnt as user friendly as it seems. I like it but it dont shake a stick at the mpc controller wise.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That said, the battery-operated MPC is a nifty idea. I just wonder if there's a warning mechanism about battery dying out in the middle of a session...
    hahaha, i can totally see some malfunction with the warning and maaaaad people losing shit

it is a pain to midi map shit but i mean once you get it setup, it's all good. i once owned trigger finger and the manual DEFINITELY needs some working. both m-audio and software companies could save users a lot of time and energy but just collaborating on implementing mapped midi controllers.

i actually lied earlier when talking about computer sequencers. i've been trying out fxpansion's guru and it's pretty nice. as far as i'm concerned, trigger finger + guru is the closest you will get to a computer mpc =P
    http://fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

big cosine...i'm just hopin this drives down the price on the mpc 1000 so i can pick one up for like $500 on ebay.

• snosno 332 Posts
    i actually lied earlier when talking about computer sequencers. i've been trying out fxpansion's guru and it's pretty nice. as far as i'm concerned, trigger finger + guru is the closest you will get to a computer mpc =P
    http://fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php

GURU (the software) is great both concept and execution (it encompasses both 16-pad style and Midiman-style keyboard in mapping the samples, plus it allows more room for sample manipulation than Battery). Too bad I was completely into Battery when it came out and did not bother checking it out, and NI is talking about releasing Battery 3 (including flams and rolls which the Trigger Finger lacks!)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

sweet.

Psssh. Dre pre-rocked this shit in that bygone beer commercial featuring that Nite Producer Bus to Val's Halla.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Can't stop the flow.

• akai Numark has seriously had their heads up their asses for the past few years

akai went belly up a few years back and Numark bought them up. Explains all the new models and color schemes.

• snosno 332 Posts

Dr. Dre sitting at the back of coach class is as much as a suspension of belief to say, a self-powered MPC1000.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    akai Numark has seriously had their heads up their asses for the past few years

akai went belly up a few years back and Numark bought them up. Explains all the new models and color schemes.

wow really? that's news to me... and is definitley considering their history.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

what else do you want them to do? The mpc works fine as it is.

They are just trying to compete with all the cheaper software shit that people are getting into. I might change my mind, but for me, the mpc is still the most fun way to make beats, by far.

• According to harmony central it's going to cost you $1,299

that's US not Canadian, and that screen's a piece of shit.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I thought numark just did there distrobution...

I guess that would explaine all the new mircowavable products though...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

what else do you want them to do? The mpc works fine as it is.

They are just trying to compete with all the cheaper software shit that people are getting into. I might change my mind, but for me, the mpc is still the most fun way to make beats, by far.

I think you misunderstood. I love my MPC and it's all I use. I Just think Numark makes shitty equiptment. It raises some concerns about the quality of the current and future MPCs. Speaking of, I heard the pads on the 1000 are cheap and break easily. Doesn't give me much confidence in the 500 or the 1000... but I want one anyway

• I thought numark just did there distrobution...

I guess that would explaine all the new mircowavable products though...

yeah, I think it's one of those complicated corporate acquistion deals. Back when I worked at the gear shop, we had a training session with the akai guys on the 1000, and they gave us the whole spiel about Numark taking over their distribution and I think production as well. Not sure about development and that. They also do Alesis.

• that screen looks the exact same as the S950/S900

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    joint is retailing for 799 at Labcabin so maybe 700ish at other places
    1000s are like what, 750, 800 now?
    i don't see what is going through their minds.

new producers will get the 1000 because they have absolutely no reason to buy a stripped down 1000 in exchange for portability. established producers are the only people who would even think about buying one of these and really, how many people are going to be buying yet another mpc for the sake of portability when everyone rocking laptops already?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

i don't see what is going through their minds.

Are you kidding me? This is a backpacker's wet dream...

Believe me, you will see these being rocked (and jacked) in public.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The Trigger finger is a bitch

Isn't this way better than the Trigger Finger, though?

I haven't used a hardware sampler in 5 years, but before that I never really dug the MPC school of hard-samplers. Just not my bag, but I always liked the pads. Just gives you a whole different feel to making beats that is undoubtely a big part of why people like them. I tried the TF a while ago, but it seemed a bit rinky-dinky to me. Then I tried my friend's MPD 16 recently and it felt really good.

Anyone care to share their experiences with it? I'm thinking of buying one as a supplement to my ordinary midi keys.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    everyone i know that went from mpc -> mpd said they hated the pads on the mpd but when they tried trigger finger they liked it
    i havent tried the mpd myself but the pads on trigger finger were nice
    use whatever works for you man
    trigger finger does got more knobs and sliders though