McMansion

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Fuck these big ass developments. I just found out the nice quaint Quaker meeting house where we my fianc?? and I were planning on having our wedding will soon be surrounded by a large-scale housing development. And that the state and local government is going to rip up the road in front of the meeting to put in new drainage. And that this may or may not be complete by our wedding date. (And if you are from PA you know PENNDOT will not have it done in the next century) Every time I visit my hometown there is another strip mall or McRichdickface subdivision.

Comments

• penn dot is on some other shit. they are still fixing a bit of the turnpike out by me and it must be taking them like 7 years to do this.

• I grew up in what later became one of the richest counties in NJ (probably the US), and area that was farmland when I grew up is now completely infested with McMansions. The funny thing is, why would someone spend 800K to live about 50 feet from their neighbor, or in some instances closer than than to a highway.

• penn dot is on some other shit. they are still fixing a bit of the turnpike out by me and it must be taking them like 7 years to do this.

All I can say is 202, what did that take them 30 years to update the section near king of prussia? The outlook for them having this work complete is not good.

• I grew up in what later became one of the richest counties in NJ (probably the US), and area that was farmland when I grew up is now completely infested with McMansions. The funny thing is, why would someone spend 800K to live about 50 feet from their neighbor, or in some instances closer than than to a highway.

Yeah I don't fucking get it at all, but hey I don't understand why people eat at olive garden and watch rachael ray either.

Monmouth?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Talk about welfare.

The only reason that lifestyle is sustainable is through huge publicly funded infrastructure projects, large scale rezoning and now, eminent domain.

• huge publicly funded infrastructure projects

IE new fucking drainage systems

Fuck I am pissed, how does one become an eco terrorist, would I end up on the no fly list?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    huge publicly funded infrastructure projects

Fuck I am pissed, how does one become an eco terrorist, would I end up on the no fly list?

you'd end up in Gitmo.

• huge publicly funded infrastructure projects

you'd end up in Gitmo.

Its like disney world right?

Monmouth?

bingo!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Urban planning sidenote, towns can make people pay 70% of the cost to place the drainage system and sewer system into a development, oftentimes inhibiting potential buyers from living there.

• Urban planning sidenote, towns can make people pay 70% of the cost to place the drainage system and sewer system into a development, oftentimes inhibiting potential buyers from living there.

nice!

this thread is so on point. mcmansions are eating up farmland quick as shit...this shit is going to bite us in the ass down the line. anybody seen "end of suburbia"?

its all construction/developers big time hustle.

and id rather suicide bomb myself than live in one of those soulless things

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I just went to a housewarming party at one of these in Dublin, CA at my uncle's 2nd home. $2.2 mil, 6000 sq ft. Beautiful home. You could park a car in the master bathroom shower, and the walk-in closet in the master bedroom is bigger than most 1-bedroom apartments. Of course everyone on the block has pretty much the same house, so that takes away a little from the "mystique" of the place.

• I just went to a housewarming party at one of these in Dublin, CA at my uncle's 2nd home. $2.2 mil, 6000 sq ft. Beautiful home. You could park a car in the master bathroom shower, and the walk-in closet in the master bedroom is bigger than most 1-bedroom apartments. Of course everyone on the block has pretty much the same house, so that takes away a little from the "mystique" of the place.

Some how this doesn't suprise me b/w
    money can't buy taste