The Fall Appreciation Post (Mark E Smith Rel)

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
When I first started working at a record store I was rock music deficient. I hadn't even bought a non-R&B/ Rap album until I turned 18. But once I got into the record store I went buck wild with all the knowledge the other folks that worked there gave me.I had got into Pavement and was really into playing Crooked Rain a whole lot in the store. One day this older musicologist dude I worked with said, "You ever heard of The Fall? Pavement basically did their best to try to be like them". Instantly I started looking for Fall CD's. First one I found started with a track entitled "repetition" in which, to my amusement the word reputation is repeated again and again.And that was it, I was hooked. From that moment on I knew The Fall were a band I needed to be familiar with. These dudes had a 5 year run ('79-'84) in which they could do no wrong and for that they need to be appreciated. So let me hear some love for Mark E. Smith and The Fall

Comments

• cosign. i will never get sick of This Nation's Saving Grace

One day this older musicologist dude I worked with said, "You ever heard of The Fall? Pavement basically did their best to try to be like them". Instantly I started looking for Fall CD's.

it's crazy obvious with Slanted & Enchanted. there are so many songs on that one that sound almost exactly like The Fall's Grotesque.

• Back in the (very) early 80's, the local "good" college station, WPRB/Princeton (not so good anymore) played cuts from 'The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall' all the time. 'Lay of the Land' was the shit.

• I think you meant...

The Fall Appreciation Post-AHHHHHH!

Favourite Fall track - Frightened off Live at The Witch Trials

• cosign. i will never get sick of This Nation's Saving Grace

One day this older musicologist dude I worked with said, "You ever heard of The Fall? Pavement basically did their best to try to be like them". Instantly I started looking for Fall CD's.

it's crazy obvious with Slanted & Enchanted. there are so many songs on that one that sound almost exactly like The Fall's Grotesque.

I love the Fall and I love Pavement. Some of Pavement's shit sounds like lesser shit sounds like a bad Fall imitation (e.g., "Hit the Plane Down"), but for the most part I think they digested the influence really well and did a lot with it. (Unlike, say, LCD Soundsystem-- I want to punch James Murphy in the face everytime I hear him add an "-uh" onto the end of a word. Project Pat-uh not so much.)

Plus, I love Pavement's cover of "The Classical."