The Euro Jazz record thread

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
In this thread, please post an Euro Jazz song/album that you likeHere's my contribution. Vanessa-Black and White (1976) Norwegean Jazz-fusion schitt with breaks and whatnot.My favorite song is Sun Walk.Enjoy and please add on.I know some of you got some heat!

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I really like that Vanessa record, but I always thought it was a bit of a shame that Svend Undseth's soprano sax is all over the place because the drums, bass and keys on this record are smokin'. Thanks for upping it, now I can listen to on the 'puter too

I just bought another release on Compendium recently featuring Keith Tippett, Hugh Hopper and Elton Dean. Quite good too. What other Compendium records are worth checking for?

I've got a Danish hippiefreejazz raer I'll upload later if I have the time to digitize it (Aschrock, I promised you this one a long time ago).

• I really like that Vanessa record, but I always thought it was a bit of a shame that Svend Undseth's soprano sax is all over the place because the drums, bass and keys on this record are smokin'.
    Yeah, he does wild out with the sax.
    Looking forward to what you got to post (Denmark raer).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i'd love to record the benny bailey - soul eyes lp on saba for you guys, but i still can't record properly.

the best euro jazz record i know. i'd also love to hear the webster lewis lp. the holy grail one.

• shit yeah, loving england. loving the euro psych/fusion in leicester. scored 3 og embryo albums last night on the cheap that have ripped my head off. getting sorted out here.

without a doubt one of the flyest i have heard: Embryo "karnataka college of percussion"---can i get co-signage on this one? "tikkitikkitakkatakkikitakkata."

amg review:Christian Burchard's world music fusion band Embryo has long been a running project of nearly inconceivable depth and breadth. This 1979 live album brings together recordings from an Asian and Indian tour featuring the Embryo sextet with saxophonist Edgar Hofmann, guitarist Jay Zier, bassist Uwe Mullrich, Friedemann Josch on flutes, Michael Wehemeyer on harmonium, and Burchard on marimbas, along with special guest and Embryo alumnus Charlie Mariano on soprano saxophone. What made this tour special was the addition of the Karnataka College of Percussion, a 12-piece Indian percussion ensemble, to the proceedings led by T.A.S. Mani. The result is nothing less than the total synthesis of Embryo's otherworldly sound, crashing, loping, and improvising around set rhythmic and harmonic patters, augmented by the sophistication of this brilliant percussion ensemble who never, ever, overplays. There are four pieces here, the most satisfying of which is the opener, "Cello, Cello" -- and that could be because it is just such a surprise, as everything here rocks! The level of improvisation here is so intimate, so symbiotic as to be literally almost scary that this kind of communication can take place between musicians -- many of whom have never played together before. Literally, these four selections will astonish you at the very least, and perhaps even take your breath away

embryo " w/yoruba dun dun orchestra"

embryo "live" with tracks like: roadsong, after the rain---etc---great fender rhodes on this one.

• Teddy it's only 9:45 and you're killing it on record day!
    Are those the right URLs for the two menneskedogn LP? I wanna check em but there's nothing there, firefox tells me. I remember you selling that one for $$.

• I can do this one too!
    http://www.jazzaggression.com/birthcry.mp3

Can I provide audio or what? This is a fucking great record, one of my top 5 swe jazz ost eva!

• i'd love to record the benny bailey - soul eyes lp on saba

i'd love to hear it ... i've got his "folklore in swing" lp, but i think it's pretty

my favourite would probably be this one

Are those the right URLs for the two menneskedogn LP? I wanna check em but there's nothing there, firefox tells me. I remember you selling that one for $$.

Ohh sorry, just a case sensetive typ, corrected.
    It's 3:52 and I'm about to leave work. Carlsberg awaits! Yeah it went out for around 300, but just got 700 for live at club7

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    As promised:

Cyklamium "Cyklapyk" (Sweet Dragon Records)

Danish progressive jazz from 1973 that is "out", but not chaotic. One of my favorite local jazz albums. "Vejen Er R??d (Beat Til Bolle)" and the 7/8ish "Epeleptika" are even kind of "groovy". Don't look here for braekz, though . Features the weird hippie recitation/singing of Kjeld Kemp on several tracks. Dig it.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Teddy it's only 9:45 and you're killing it on record day!

Ohh sorry, just a case sensetive typ, corrected.
    It's 3:52 and I'm about to leave work. Carlsberg awaits! Yeah it went out for around 300, but just got 700 for live at club7

Thanks!!! got em!!
    Damn, you're about to get off work and I have to leave for work... this round world is so unfair.

• Sick.
    Thanks teddy!