fake records found in your dreams

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Last night I had a dream about digging. I never have these kinds of dreams. I found this copy of a record that I copped years ago but it was different from the one pictured below. Instead it was a UK press of a Jamaican pic sleeve ep that turned out to be psyche when played at 33rpm. Seeing how this is a mishmash of several recent threads I can only conclude that I have been hanging out on SS too much.the record in question is:

Comments

• i found a full length charmels lp on stax from 67 w/ production done completely by hayes/porter. it had "as long as i've got you" on it.

it's weird how the mind works. in the dream i turn the record over and their was the song titles, how long the songs were, a photo, the stax symbol.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i find records that noone has ever seen in my dreams
    all sorts of weird psych and afro beat things
    some have glowing covers and all that
    its not all the time... just when i dont go diggin in a long time and im not tryin to even think about the dumb things

weird right?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Helvetica Blue - S/T

• Last night I had a dream about digging. I never have these kinds of dreams. I found this copy of a record that I copped years ago but it was different from the one pictured below. Instead it was a UK press of a Jamaican pic sleeve ep that turned out to be psyche when played at 33rpm. Seeing how this is a mishmash of several recent threads I can only conclude that I have been hanging out on SS too much.

the record in question is:

You know, I think I had a dream about a cover of that Lunacycle 45 once before. Slightly different break. Slower, and that Dylan wannabe was axed.

I have many dreams about fake records / illest songs in the world that do not exist yet. It's a great feeling to wake up with a melody in your head that you know you haven't heard before, hum that shit into your computer before getting ready for your day and make something of it later.

My best dream find was uncovering an old 78 from my old boss. I was from the early 1920s (did they even have 78s in the 20s?), and it was straight proto-funk. Very lo-fi, but I paid $350 for it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Last night I had a dream about digging. I never have these kinds of dreams. I found this copy of a record that I copped years ago but it was different from the one pictured below. Instead it was a UK press of a Jamaican pic sleeve ep that turned out to be psyche when played at 33rpm. Seeing how this is a mishmash of several recent threads I can only conclude that I have been hanging out on SS too much.

the record in question is:

My best dream find was uncovering an old 78 from my old boss. I was from the early 1920s (did they even have 78s in the 20s?), and it was straight proto-funk. Very lo-fi, but I paid $350 for it.

Dood I need a copy of that. Ill.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i had a dream a few nights ago that i found Weldon Irvine's "Liberated Brother LP" except the cover was on a classic Kudu template, why i have no idea. needless to say when i woke up i was stoked cause i thought i actually had it.

fucking dreams.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I copped dupes of Janey Parp the other night.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Not a dream, per se, but in my mind's eye I see an epic tracking shot of the glistening surface of a newborn planet, but as the camera pulls back, it is instead revealed to be that of a glazed ham. The soundtrack for this is The Cars' "You're All I've Got Tonight."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    in my dreams I buy korean free jazz records at a store that's run by a 22 years old Sofia Loren.

• I don't dream of digging, but when i was a kid I used to dream of finding an underground chamber full of Transformers; it was always in the same place and it always looked the same.

• I have these reocurring locations in my dreams. I have this one where it's a outdoor shopping center that looks like somewhere in Portland or something. There is this cool record store thats always in the same place where the vinyls completley uncatagorized with dust everywhere and crazy memorablia/junk lying about that always gets in the way. The owner always remembers me and lets me check out the even messy-er backstock. I can't remember specific records but I do remember finding some crazy lookin stuff.

• I have these reocurring locations in my dreams. I have this one where it's a outdoor shopping center that looks like somewhere in Portland or something. There is this cool record store thats always in the same place where the vinyls completley uncatagorized with dust everywhere and crazy memorablia/junk lying about that always gets in the way. The owner always remembers me and lets me check out the even messy-er backstock. I can't remember specific records but I do remember finding some crazy lookin stuff.

The crazy thing is that I've had the same recurring dream, and it sounds like the same recurring place (although I've never been to Portland). I always seem to have been there once, early in the dream and when I go back there, to really get to work, I can't find the place or it's no longer there.

Every once in a while at this store, I come across a tremendous, life-altering haul, but I can never focus in on the titles. I just know they're good. Then I wake up, and it puts me in a really pissy mood to start the day.

Upon hearing that some others have had similar dreams (and likely also irritated their significant others with their childish disappointment upon waking), my wife just announced that she is now quite convinced that there may really be a few extra dimensions out there.

I must add, there have been one or two times that I've dreamed that I've lost all of my music in some horrific manner, only to wake up with a tremendous sense of relief.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I had a dream exactly two nights ago that went like this:

A spectral dream friend told me about a lady with an incredible record collection that was in the process of parting with it. I was excited and went over to her house before I had a chance to lose out on the opportunity.

I walked right up her front path and through her front door, neglecting to notice that her house was an almost carbon copy of the brick house in "Home Alone." I walked through her front room without asking - because she WAS dumping her collection, right? - and entered directly into the Record Room. Housed in a 5x5 Expedit (suspiciously just like mine in real life), in all its aged-cardboard and plastic-sleeved glory, was the Best Collection Known To Man. Kind-of like the deleted scene in High Fidelity where John Cusak meets Beverly D'Angelo and her cheating husband's collection.

The first two LPs I pulled from the shelf were both perfect Phil Cohrans, one of which I'd never seen before. I was marvelling at this discovery - and others soon to come - when the owner of the records appeared behind me and told me in no uncertain terms that her collection was most definitely NOT for sale. Ignoring the fact that she looked like a Tarantino-era Pam Grier with smart editor's pants and vest, I told her in a reasoning and mild-tempered tone that, well, my friend told me that the records WERE for sale, so there was obviously some mistake.

And then came the capper that, in real life, I won't forget for some time: Dream Pam smiled a little smile and, with a pen in her hand, wrote several words on a small yellow piece of paper. Pam folded it and held it out to me. "I'll give you the records," she told me. "Just meet me on the street corner and date listed."
    I thanked her profusely and left the house and records. I was so grateful to have the 4" by 4" scrap in my posession that it wasn't until I was down her block that I opened it.

On the small paper fragment, in a slanted, loopy cursive, were these words:

"187 Bleecker St., Harlem. 12/30/77."
    "I was ready then."

Played. Told. In my own dream by a strong older woman who valued her culture and past more than money or room space. Damn. Even if the street address didn't make any earthly sense, I nonetheless learned a life lesson in a dream. Who among us can claim that?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I had a dream exactly two nights ago that went like this:

A spectral dream friend told me about a lady with an incredible record collection that was in the process of parting with it. I was excited and went over to her house before I had a chance to lose out on the opportunity.

I walked right up her front path and through her front door, neglecting to notice that her house was an almost carbon copy of the brick house in "Home Alone." I walked through her front room without asking - because she WAS dumping her collection, right? - and entered directly into the Record Room. Housed in a 5x5 Expedit (suspiciously just like mine in real life), in all its aged-cardboard and plastic-sleeved glory, was the Best Collection Known To Man. Kind-of like the deleted scene in High Fidelity where John Cusak meets Beverly D'Angelo and her cheating husband's collection.

The first two LPs I pulled from the shelf were both perfect Phil Cohrans, one of which I'd never seen before. I was marvelling at this discovery - and others soon to come - when the owner of the records appeared behind me and told me in no uncertain terms that her collection was most definitely NOT for sale. Ignoring the fact that she looked like a Tarantino-era Pam Grier with smart editor's pants and vest, I told her in a reasoning and mild-tempered tone that, well, my friend told me that the records WERE for sale, so there was obviously some mistake.

And then came the capper that, in real life, I won't forget for some time: Dream Pam smiled a little smile and, with a pen in her hand, wrote several words on a small yellow piece of paper. Pam folded it and held it out to me. "I'll give you the records," she told me. "Just meet me on the street corner and date listed."
    I thanked her profusely and left the house and records. I was so grateful to have the 4" by 4" scrap in my posession that it wasn't until I was down her block that I opened it.

On the small paper fragment, in a slanted, loopy cursive, were these words:

"187 Bleecker St., Harlem. 12/30/77."
    "I was ready then."

Played. Told. In my own dream by a strong older woman who valued her culture and past more than money or room space. Damn. Even if the street address didn't make any earthly sense, I nonetheless learned a life lesson in a dream. Who among us can claim that?

Reader's Digest material

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Not at all bullshit. For one: I'm not smart enough to invent another Cohran.

Also: I'm more intelligent sleeping than awake. Who would admit that?

• Helvetica Blue - S/T

ha! i want that one.

once i found a Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem full length LP in a dream. ILL.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Speaking of records and dream, my girl is deep into dream study and research. She has been recording ALL her dreams for at least 10 years now. Every morning when she wakes up the first thing she does is write down her dreams in shorthand and then later she uses those notes to reconstruct the whole dream in her current dream journal.

Amyway....

So she also has these various techniques that she uses, one of which is called 'dream incubation.' It's basically where you think about and maybe write down a question or something you want to find out and you help yourself to find the answer in your dreams. Well, when I was hunting this particular aussie funk 45 she suggested I incubate it in a dream. Now I was pretty dissmissive of this but I did it a while back and forgot about it. It was maybe a couple of weeks after this that I located a copy, and since then I have found another one!

Bear in mind, before I found the first one, I had NEVER seen a copy of this record EVER, let alone for sale.

Pretty cool, 'ey?

So... how many of yall are incubating Placebo right now?

• Not at all bullshit. For one: I'm not smart enough to invent another Cohran.

Me neither, but since I've seen this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PHILIP-COHRAN-LOUD-M...1QQcmdZViewItem
    and another lp that just ended on ebay a while ago which has him playing over someone talking about drugs.

I wish he recorded more cool stuff to find.

Cohran was definatly

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

once i found a Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem full length LP in a dream. ILL.

My RIVERBOTTOM NIGHTMARE BAND "LIVE at LOW TIDE" LP SONS[/b] those hippies.

• edit: is that a full dream expedit behind him at 1:55?