shocker - Jay-Z coming out of retirement

meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_en_mu/music_jay_z NEW YORK - Call him the Michael Jordan of rap. Jay-Z, who declared that 2003's "The Black Album" would be his last, is coming out retirement and releasing a new CD. ADVERTISEMENT "Kingdom Come" will hit stores this fall, Entertainment Weekly magazine reports in its new issue, due on newsstands Monday."It was the worst retirement in history," Jay told the magazine.Actually, his post-retirement career looked pretty good. In 2004, the rap icon (real name: Shawn Carter) became president and CEO of Def Jam Recordings. He became part owner of the New Jersey Nets that same year. Also on his resume: Not-So-Secret Boyfriend of Beyonce.Despite naysayers' doubts, the 36-year-old Jay-Z thought he was retired from music-making: "I believed it, yeah. I believed it for two years."But since his "retirement," he's gone on a world tour, performed on hit records with Beyonce and other entertainers, and had a profile higher than most working rappers. There were rumblings that he was working on a new album. And in an interview with The Associated Press this summer, he said he was thinking about coming out of retirement.He told Entertainment Weekly that he began tinkering in the studio over the summer."Something, when you love it, is always tugging at you and itching, and I was putting it off and putting it off. I started fumbling around to see if it felt good," he said.The result: "Kingdom Come."The disc is "more in the vein of `The Black Album' than `The Blueprint,'" he tells the magazine. "I've been experimenting with things, different types of music."He's already recruited some A-list producer-collaborators: Timbaland, Kanye West and Dr. Dre. Even Coldplay frontman Chris Martin produced a track called "Beach Chair," he said.So ??? for real now ??? when does he plan to retire?"If I wake up one day and the best material has passed me by ??? and that's going to happen," he said, "then it's time to move on. I've said what I wanted to say."

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    New Jay-Z album?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Even Coldplay frontman Chris Martin produced a track called "Beach Chair," he said.

WTF? Hova came of retirement to do a track with the singer of one of the most boring bands of all time? Can we get a DJ Premier track on this bitch!!!!!!

This album is starting to look very

• Even Coldplay frontman Chris Martin produced a track called "Beach Chair," he said.

WTF? Hova came of retirement to do a track with the singer of one of the most boring bands of all time? Can we get a DJ Premier track on this bitch!!!!!!

If Jay puts out antything less then good.. I will be surprised... Jay in the game......................

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Even Coldplay frontman Chris Martin produced a track called "Beach Chair," he said.

I think he is merely emulating MJ's stint with the Wizards.

• I think he is merely emulating MJ's stint with the Wizards.

this being his first coming out party, MJ's second three-peat might be a more accurate comparision.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

this being his first coming out party, MJ's second three-peat might be a more accurate comparision.

the question is, will he?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rumour has it Jay is gonna drop in the same month as Nas - HipHop is Dead.
    Such smart marketing.

• Rumour has it Jay is gonna drop in the same month as Nas - HipHop is Dead.
    Such smart marketing.

Hmm...That's the way you win a battle right? Make Nas your employee then drop a record the same month that outsells his. shrewd. can't knock the hustle.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I can't believe this is going to be any good.

• yeah instead of Chris Martin of coldplay he should have got the other Chris Martin....

Rumour has it Jay is gonna drop in the same month as Nas - HipHop is Dead.
    Such smart marketing.

Hmm...That's the way you win a battle right? Make Nas your employee then drop a record the same month that outsells his. shrewd. can't knock the hustle.

Well he lost the battle, but hell win the war. Shit is foul, if its true.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I would love to be proven wrong, but i feel that the best jay-z records are most definitely behind us. Taking all that time off was not good for dude and he definitely lost something. Really i think this is just a contractual obligation for his 3 million dollar salary.

They were like, okay jay, 4th quarter, what we got? Hmmm...true life and aztek huh? Ummm mabye were gonna need that album we talked about after all. MMMKAY? get in the studio!

Rumour has it he took the Def Jam gig just to secure his masters.

I agree his best shit is probably behind him, but there are a gang of cats who would declare an album of Jay-Z farting, a classic. No different from cats who sport ugly Jordans just because. You wont be able to stop the hoopla.
    It would be nice if he made an album that was better than the Black joint.

And at the other end of the office, why didnt DefJam promote the Method Man lp.
    Shit is half way decent.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Shit is half way decent.

The real question is why they put a Method Man album out at all. I'm astounded that it did the numbers it did. They they accomplished that without promotion and thereby managed not to lose money on the project definitely counts as a victory.

Really, though, it's kind of foul that they didn't just drop dude and let him do his numbers on an indie, where he'd be able to get a little money.

Shit is half way decent.

The real question is why they put a Method Man album out at all. I'm astounded that it did the numbers it did. They they accomplished that without promotion and thereby managed not to lose money on the project definitely counts as a victory.

Really, though, it's kind of foul that they didn't just drop dude and let him do his numbers on an indie, where he'd be able to get a little money.

True.

Another question..........Where is the single/video for Nas?

Shit is half way decent.

True.

Another question..........Where is the single/video for Nas?

I don't think the li'l homie is coming out this year.

Honestly I'm more skeptical about his record than Jay's, after he crapped out that double terd Street's Disciple two years ago... and that "Where my Gangstas At" or whatever it was called was pathetic.

If "Thief's Theme" was a fake "Made You Look," that latest attempt to recreate the single was like a smeared and blurry image that has now been photocopied twice.

Where is the single/video for Nas?

I don't think the li'l homie is coming out this year.

Honestly I'm more skeptical about his record than Jay's, after he crapped out that double terd Street's Disciple two years ago... and that "Where my Gangstas At" or whatever it was called was pathetic.

If "Thief's Theme" was a fake "Made You Look," that latest attempt to recreate the single was like a smeared and blurry image that has now been photocopied twice.
    I think I heard Nov. for HIP HOP IS DEAD.
    Never heard the Double Album.

We've all heard that--doesn't mean it's happening.

You think Jay-Z will come out before NAS? Or Nas gets pushed to Jan/Feb?
    Arent they supposed to be on each others album? Not that collabs dictate release dates.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

aren't we at a point where we can safely ignore the first three release dates given for any album?

and what made you throw up in your mouth a little bit the most: jurassic 5/dave matthews or jay-z/coldplay?

• 2pac