PRE-RECORD DAY FINDS

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingJames Herndon -- and the herndon singers of chicago (great gospel record)Lightning Hopkins -- on stageVarious -- ain't that good news (gospel comp)Various -- the gospel sound vol. 2 (super amazing gospel comp)Smokey Hogg -- original folk bluesBessie Griffin and the Gospel Pearls -- live (one of the best live gospel records ever) Her voice was said to have been so powerful that people have suffered fatal heart attacks in the churches she sang at. Bo Diddley -- hey good lookinAdventures of Grand Master Flash on the Wheels of Steel Albert Ayler -- live at the village vanguardThe Soul of the Gospel HarmonettesCharles Wright -- love and poetryDennis Brown -- sitting and waiting Mike James Kirkland -- hang on in there (og in great shape)Phil Ranelin -- Vibes from the Tribe (og..thanks Greg)Photobucket - Video and Image HostingSun Ra -- Strange Celestial Road Blind Boy Buller -- great comp on Blues Classicsgreat Boogaloo compMarcia Griffiths -- steppinSam and Dave -- s/t Fantastic Johnny C -- Boogaloo down BroadwayBattle of the Groups -- doo wop compTribesman Assault -- reissue wackies dub killerCarla Thomas -- the queen alonePhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPan African Peoples Arkestra -- flight 17Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry -- blues and folkThe Thompson Community Singers -- the soul ofLove -- s/t (gold label)Sam and Dave -- double dynamiteMuddy Waters -- after the rainImpressions -- young mods forgotten storyDynamics -- first landingVarious -- creation rockers

Comments

• almost 100 views and 0 replies?!?!?!?
    Are we in another record fast???

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I've been holding off on record buying as of late but I will say you always have some crazy ass finds every time you post em up. Nice ones!

• On the serious finds tip, i got this last night at my Goodwill for $20. They were just putting it out, the guy hadn't even tested it yet.

Grabbed this pic off eBay of the same one. It's a Wurlitzer 200 A. Two of the keys stick a little and it could use a tune, but other than that and the fact that there's no sustain pedal, it's not bad at all for 20 bucks.

Also picked these up from a guy down the street - buck a piece:

Eddy Senay - Hot Thang (Sussex)
    Denise La Salle - Trapped By A Thing Called Love (Westbound)
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (Half Speed Master on CBS' Master Sound)
    Byrne / Eno - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts
    JB's - I'll House You 12" (Idlers)
    Chubb Rock - Treat 'Em Right 12" (Ssssselect)

• Nice Whirly!!! I used to always see cool keyboards and organs at the goodwill and thrift stores. For some reason now, there is nada.

• I've been holding off on record buying as of late but I will say you always have some crazy ass finds every time you post em up. Nice ones!

thanks. I went about a month not buying a single record because I was out of town (job related), and busy running around (job related). Almost damn near went crazy with the itch of record shopping. When I came back, I went a little overboard...but it felt GOOD...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I went about a month not buying a single record

I don't think I've ever done this... and I even tried to force myself for a month

I was out of town (job related), and busy running around (job related). Almost damn near went crazy with the itch of record shopping.

I especially couldn't imagine being in another city and not trying to dig something up... even if I was hella busy I'd try to work it in

• Just picked these up at the Goodwill.

• I especially couldn't imagine being in another city and not trying to dig something up... even if I was hella busy I'd try to work it in
    When your working from 6:00 in the morning to sometimes 9:00 to 10:00 at night...everynight, my holy grail was sleep. I even missed some cool industry penthouse pool parties in Las Vegas with everything comped, but I would much rather get a good 5 hours of sleep. I think I'm getting old...

• Little batch from the bum farmer's market

One in center bottom is Gordon Alexander which has some sharp Curt Boettcher produced tracks from right around the time of his Millennium work. That Lalo is so nice. Last cut, Kelly's Heoes, with the whistlin?

• I'm going to miss detroit.

some equally worthy 45s too (Gino Washington, Steve Mancha, Soul Superiors, Tyree Jones, Voices of Conquest, Johnnie Walker etc.)

• I especially couldn't imagine being in another city and not trying to dig something up... even if I was hella busy I'd try to work it in
    When your working from 6:00 in the morning to sometimes 9:00 to 10:00 at night...everynight, my holy grail was sleep. I even missed some cool industry penthouse pool parties in Las Vegas with everything comped, but I would much rather get a good 5 hours of sleep. I think I'm getting old...
    the more i work (i've been there until 8 at the earliest everynight for the last 9) the more i dig online...

speaking of which, here is the dustygroove haul i mentioned in that other thread, troubleman.

Curtis-roots w/ calendar is the blurry one...

edit: they're all blurry!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm going to miss detroit.

some equally worthy 45s too (Gino Washington, Steve Mancha, Soul Superiors, Tyree Jones, Voices of Conquest, Johnnie Walker etc.)

Insanity.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I'm moving to Detroit tomorrow, its official.

• Damn! Four Mints and
    Mike J Kirkland?

That Sam & Dave "Double Dynamite" up there is such a great record (damn snagged a Ranelin and a MJK too fucker!).

Shitt all I scored was an Amp Fiddler LP, the Family Of eve Re, and a Yam Who?Jazzy Jeff 12".

• goddamn, what a score, man. i feel small posting my one little find but it is my first record in the uk:

john gregory orchestra: The Detectives

i don't have a record player yet: is it any good?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    goddamn, what a score, man. i feel small posting my one little find but it is my first record in the uk:

This is its review at Vinyl Vulture:

"Gregory is one of the recipients of our Lords Of Lounge accolade and rightly so. This album is top-drawer stuff, with his version of "The Streets Of San Francisco" being the best version of this funky cop-theme ever recorded. This packs a punch! Also thrown in for good measure are "Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Sweeney" - both very well arranged by the man who also brought you Chaquito's "TV Themes"."

Peace

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    goddamn, what a score, man. i feel small posting my one little find but it is my first record in the uk:

This is its review at Vinyl Vulture:

"Gregory is one of the recipients of our Lords Of Lounge accolade and rightly so. This album is top-drawer stuff, with his version of "The Streets Of San Francisco" being the best version of this funky cop-theme ever recorded. This packs a punch! Also thrown in for good measure are "Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Sweeney" - both very well arranged by the man who also brought you Chaquito's "TV Themes"."

Peace

Here's my review of the same record on Soulstrut:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1794

• I'm going to miss detroit.

Insanity.

Whats the deal with that Otis G Johnson LP in the middle? A copy of that has been sitting at my local thrift for months and I always think about picking it up, but never do. Raer? Good?