let me introduce myself + a Melbourne related ?

bozakbozak 334 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
hello struters,Thought I would properly introduce myself after a year plus of reading the board from afar without posting. Now that my day gig as a sound design intern for an xbox 360 title (cool gig if you guys wanna go the 9-5 route - mad hours though)is finally done with I can post without worrying that I would get wrapped up with it at work. trust me that WOULD have happened. Anyways, yall always put me up on something new on a weekly basis and I wanted to say I appreciate that a lot. and the humor. I live and dj in a city south of chicago called champaign and if any of you ever findyourself down here feel free to PM me or whatever I will show you to some spots, show you the good places to eat. whatevs.enough brown-noseing (sic?), now to my question, I am heading out to Melbourne in a week to take part in this years RedBull Music Academy. I have talked to the Sheepster about some spots thus far and would like to know if any of you know of anything I must experience, eat, by records from, etc. while I am there. I dont really dig 16 hour flights so i dont know when I will be back if I ever go back so I really want to make sure I get a lot out of these two weeks.the bears are winning the superbowl.

Comments

• well, spose I can pony up a few things for you brah

records: Sheep prob told you the three main spots, Northside records, Licorice pie & John Idems place - the latter two are real close, go to whitepages.com.au and you can get addy details & even maps (choose Victoria as the state), Dave at Licorice pie will be able to direct you to Idem's (same street), you can get public transport to these places pretty easily

food: lots of good places, depends how much $$ you want to drop, you should try a pub feed somewhere out the city (make a session out of it) & also get down to Victoria St in Abbotsford for a cheep and cheeful vietnamese meal / yum cha - 109 tram from the city, chinatown in the city has some good spots

bars & that: there are ton's, esp in the inner city, check the local street rags to see whats on while you're here, honkytonks, panama, alia, cookie, st jeromes and first floor are all worth peeping .. lots of galleries and shit too

public transport - buy tickets, on board, you need coins, two hour ones are a good option

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hi

• Welcome,
    when you hit Melbourne stop into
    Northside Records
    236 Gertrude Street
    Fitzroy 94177557

Close to the city...

Anyway, I'm here Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri, I'll word you up on my side of town!!!

The Red Bull looks good, you got any ideas who's coming to town??

I've heard some good rumours.
    Chris

• Good stuff man, I'm thoroughly jealous of your acceptance to the Red Bull Academy. I've been failing to get in for a few years! You've had some good suggestion already, but I'd also offer China Town for some cheap dumplings, perhaps the Queen Vic market for cheesy souvineers for your friends/family, and if you're feeling cultural the museam and or art gallery.

Have fun in Melburn, maybe you can get some aussie sheila action!

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    i am curious what rumors you have heard BUT I want to find out once I am there. I like the element of surprise attached to everything involved with RBMA.

My gut is telling me juan atkins. i dont know....

am I better off buying gear over there or in the states? I hear you have a 10% sales tax. I looked into biying a headliner heavyweight bag from this place called store dj and the price seemed to be about right after the conversion but thats just one product. I need new headphones and a spare needle and dont think I have adequate time for it to be delivered to my home as I am leaving in a week. - whatevs, il figure it out.

in terms of dropping money on food I have no problem doing that at all. give me some spots.

I am playing at this spot called honkytonks. I plan on doing funk, breaks, and disco. is this the right vibe for that venue? dont want to freak out a minimal techno crowd.
    also, is dubstep catching on over there? I am feeling some of that stuff and thought I might work a lil in if possible.

• Shit man, a gig at Honkytonks and $$$ to drop on food? I think you'll be coming back fairly regularly cos you're gonna have a great time!

I dunno about our prices being all that competitive... everything seems to be cheaper in the states, but Store Dj is the cheapest in the land.

Your set should go over well at Honkytonks, although they are also renowned for loving deep, druggy minimal stuff. Some dubstep should keep the hipsters moving though...

• ^^ depends what night you're playing too - if its a thursday leave any techno type dub step stuff at home cause thats not really the vibe on thursdays

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I love me some cybotron, a number of names, model 500, laurant garnier etc. but dont get the wrong idea - I may throw a track in here or there but I dont really do full on techno sets in front of people other then at basement parties. Like I said earlier it will be on the funkydiscoy tip. it sounds like that will work. Sheep tells me that the tables are in a piano??? sounds cool.

My 30 min. mix I sent redbull went like this:

herbie hancock - vein melter
    moodyman - amerika
    detroit experiment - think twice
    lonnie liston smith - expansions
    underdog edits #4 (the four in purple) - hey hey
    nina simone - MAW be your wife
    nancy martin - can't believe
    cybotron - clear
    q - legend of q
    hard drive - deep down inside
    nuyorican soul - its alright
    moodyman - amerika
    herbie hancock - vein melter

what I play will probobly be of this vibe. however I will bring a stash of b-more, hiphop, and some other ish just incase. The dubstep will actually stay at home. tisk. I like some of that shit.

My advice for peeps that apply to RBMA is to just be yourself on that application. Dont big yourself up at all, just describe yourself, your interests, and your experiences so far. There are some questions which are used to weed people out so I would consider who will be reading it and what they will be looking for. but the bottome line is to be yourself.

• Hi,

nice selection! Is your mix available online or could you please post it?

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    when I have a chance I will. I moved it off my computer and its now on an hd that is not at my place right now. when I get it back I will put it up. fo sho.