iTunes 7 and the new apple launch...?

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
ill admit, this new apple launch was kinda a let down ( 80 gig video pod, 8 gig nano with a throwback to the mini ipod colors, and incredibly tiny but still useless shuffle). but the new itunes 7 is .just dived into it and it really does solidify how apple is on design.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just got the software update prompt. I'm scared to do it. Is it def*[/b]?

*[/b]"Def" is dedicated to BATMON. Where's he at anyway?

• just updating now in order to download the new Timberlake shit...

• Yeah it was lackluster, but "iTV" has me salivating.

This would be a tivo-killer! Basically a version of the mac mini with component outputs and a version of frontrow, all set to hook up to a big screen plasma or LCD screen, for $299.

Imagine if there was a version of A HREF="http://www.mythtv.org/">MythTV (basically freeware tivo) that you can use to watch movies and record cable on. Which I'm sure somebody would do once this comes out.

It will really be if they do it right....

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I just got the software update prompt. I'm scared to do it. Is it def*[/b]?

worth it.

plus an automatic album cover downloading feature (prob doesnt work well) and gapless mp3 playback which sounds promising for cuting up them mixes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    If I download this will I lose my playlists?

• you should be allright. i think i put 6 on my pc from 5 and it kept all the same info.

• I was waiting till today to order my Nano. I'm glad I did, I'll get the black 8 gig, thank you.

• If I download this will I lose my playlists?

I didnt lose mine. Plus an optio popped up to back up my entire library on dvd. Apparently itcan be set to auto back up you rlibrary. Nice.

And as far as the timberlake goes: Damn Girl is the joint.

• I just downloaded it. It kept all playlists.

Man, that CD cover gallery viewing option is fun.

• but an 80gig pod for $50 less than the 60gig pod?

yes plaese.

• The 30 g ipod is the same price as the 8 gig nano.

• unfortunately I don't think apple will touch tivo, more like Direct TV and the cable companies will kill both systems. Isn't Netflix in a deal to offer their content digitally to a cable company? That's game over when attached to a recorder.

I think the Windows media center is gaining popularity as well, and they are pushing it pretty hard. My homie built a system for his living room that runs windows media player and it's really dope as hell... gigs of movies, mp3s, and streaming internet radio all from one remote.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

unfortunatly that the video quality of those ipod vids are mad

• unfortunatly that the video quality of those ipod vids are mad

Well these aren't the 320x240 vids for the iPods, these are high res DVD quality.

Plus I'm more interested in the hackability!!!

• when you think about the people who will be buying the itv (mostly wealthier consumers with disposable income who already have an ed/hdtv) the itv will likely pale in comparison to high definition tv and the quality the consumers are accustomed to. iit's hard to verify, but i don't see how a highly compressed 4:3 video can compete with a high quality 16:9 dvd (or hd-dvd/blu-ray disc) when they're similar in price, aside from the convenience factor which will still require at least 30 min and a hell of a lot of bandwidth. personally, i would be much happier purchasing a high definition series 3 tivo ($700) as opposed to this fancy looking, underperformer. in conjuction with an osx-based pvr, this product would have a lot better chance. i still think the idea is great, but the technology is too advanced for today - the movie quality is not high enough and the wireless option couldn't support a high definition feed.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    dayum. itunes 7 is

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    unfortunatly that the video quality of those ipod vids are mad

Well these aren't the 320x240 vids for the iPods, these are high res DVD quality.

Plus I'm more interested in the hackability!!!

woow... im

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Whoah! This is really not working with my PC. After installation I click "Agree" and get: unknown error 0x666D743F (which I think is a soundcard issue but it doesn't even attempt to load iTunes).
    Tried it every way from Sunday and went back to 6.
    Anybody else getting this?

• how will this affect my Microwave expirence

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    24 hr battery life on the nano, that should quell some complaints.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/ads/

cut chemist usage on the new nano ad.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    wow, first post.

I know the dude that came up with a lot of the ideas for apple as of recently such as frontrow, itv and more. Dude had all these things on a busted mac cube at his spot about 4 years ago when I last was at his crib in SF.

I recall waking up before him and his roomate and having nothing to do so I went to watch some tv. Man, he had everything written up in software so ill - waking up the computer from its sleep turned on the tv for one, every once in a while this warning sound and visual aid would notify mhen it was a good time to leave the house to catch certain bart trains (this was done trough gps), the tv/cube had a tivo like thing that was next level. you could type in something to search for and it would grab anything related off the internet, from radio, from tv shows, anything. If I remember correctly he typed in touor de france and we watched some crazy broadcast of a swedish news program that had coverage. we laughed our asses off.

most of these functions could be commanded by the normal tv remote too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude your name is Bozak.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm just playing.

• I just bought a 30 gig iPod (3 days before the premiere of iTunes 7). Good thing I didn't open up the box!

• And as far as the timberlake goes: Damn Girl is the joint.

Love the chours:

DAMN, GIRL
    DAMN, GIRL
    DAMN, GIRL
    DAMN, GIRL
    DAMN, GIRL
    DAMN, GIRL

I like the software upgrade. Flipping through the albums like that is real nice, though it will almost force me to upgrade all the super low-res covers. I don't want people flipping through my pixelized-ass collection. No sir.

Nice deal with the cheaper and better iPods too. Might have to throw my old girl one. I bought her a Nano a few months back and it was stolen. She can't afford another one right now, so...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    how will this affect my Microwave expirence

microwave is rocking pretty smooth. no probs as of now.

• does anyone know if seamless playback also means seamless cd burning?

• dude i can play pacman on my ipod now

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    @ Ma Baker

yeah my names bozak so what. It used to be my family name until they had to change it to evade the FBI. They were 'on the lam, runnin from the law because my kin folk were players in the chicago area moonshine manufacturing and distro game during prohibition. I thought it would nice to bring that back and my fam gives me props for usin it. Its hungarian for "based on your number of posts you should step outside and sniff the flowers a bit"