Renter's Insurance for Collector's

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I know a lot of you guys must have renter's insurance to cover your wax. How does this work? Do you need to itemize everything before you get insurance, or do you do it after something happens? Seems like they would need some sort of authorized way of determining the value of collectibles whether it be records, coins, comics, baseball cards....but it seems like it would be a long and arduous process.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    always wanted to ask that too...any euro heads (pref. Germany) know of insuring raers in a good way?

• This is really strange.

I just got a new car insurance policy in June and my agent was telling me about how cheap renter's insurance is.

She called me today at work after two months gone on maternity leave to follow up.

It's $52/year for $15,000 worth of property, but it gets me a $48 break on my car insurance SO........$4/year to cover $15,000 in goods.

• I have my collection insured for $75,000.........It's under my home owners

I shot high and they accepted it.

• I have the household goods insured for around 60,000...but since Void moved in we need to up it a little. It is very inexpenisve...20 bucks a month I think.

They say to video tape what you have in your house, save reciepts and keep them in a safety deposit or at someone elses house or a fire proof box or something. I havent done any of that yet...so I should probably get on it. It is good piece of mind and covers theft, fire, flood etc... I highly suggest doing it especially with tons of records, computers and music making gear.

Mine also covers my car if its parked in front of my house and if my nephew hit a baseball into my neighbors window it will cover that too. We have State Farm

• always wanted to ask that too...any euro heads (pref. Germany) know of insuring raers in a good way?

regular 'Hausratsversicherung' (household contents insurance)! You should explicitly ask for the insurance of the raers if you want to place a contract and the insurance guys will calculate the premium based on that.

• I have the household goods insured for around 60,000...but since Void moved in we need to up it a little. It is very inexpenisve...20 bucks a month I think.

the money i paid void for records that he never sent should help!