dj's, what mixers have you repped?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I found a box of old mixers while moving and realized I have a major problem when it comes to dj mixers...anyways.here's my first(after scratching with my pops stereo)no fader so we had to get thisWhen I finally got some cash, I REALLY wanted to get a GLI mixer. The one that Jam Master Jay, Grandmaster D, and every big east coast dj used? Well I couldn't find one so I ordered this fromJ&R music worldafter that I had to do it philly stylethe infamous scratchmastertaking it back to phillywhat? a mixer with a sampler??!!this MTX didn't last longback to the numarkstep into tommorow...with loose faders!!you know I had to get thisLately i've been on a guitar center clearance kick. so far I've gotten fourmixers from them..and the mixer i'm using now....REP YOUR MIXERS!!!!

Comments

• Then a Numark with the tap button transformers, forget which but the fader went to shit pretty quickly.

That's me.

• started with this in 98:

got this in 99:

and i'm still on that one.

• Thats what I use now...

• I found a box of old mixers while moving and realized I have a major problem when it comes to dj mixers...anyways.

REP YOUR MIXERS!!!!

Before I got involved in DJ'ing, all the DJ's that I knew owned this mixer.
    Too bad they broke down after a couple of heavy skratch sessions.

My brother had the actual Gemini sampler (the jawn with 12 seconds worth of memory).
    We used loop and trigger samples all day. An old friend of mine had this mixer.

file under: piece of schitt

This mixer was donated to me from my brother about 5 1/2 years ago. At the time, these had the best eq's. It was good for production. The damn crossfader would bleed like a mug though.

I'm rocking with the 06 pro (Mixtick). I've owned one since early 2001 but my brother and I went half on one back in '98. Mines still function, BTW.

• used this one for a couple of years

and continued with the hak 320

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Thats what I use now...

Haha...those mixers where terrible, the fader lasts for about a week before it's pure static. I had one right after my first mixer (some generic Radio Shack piece). Then it was the Vestax 06, then the 05 then the Rane TTM-56.

Love those old mixers with the wood side panels though, they need to bring that shit back.

• My first. A Vestax PMC03A.

and then I jumped right into the rane TTM54 (the OG before the TTM54i and the TTM56) which I still work.

• My first. A Vestax PMC03A.

and then I jumped right into the rane TTM54 which I still work.

Haha, the 03A was garbage!
    I have never owned a Rane mixer

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I don't know if this is the same one but my first mixer was a Radio Shack jawn with no fader as well.

Everyone in Philly had this mixer.

Went through this one too.

Then I had a Numark that had a rotary crossfader, like it was a fader knob. I forget the model number, but I loved that one.

I loved this one too.

Then I had this one. Bought it the week it came out. My mind was blown.

Then I got this one for a different setup. I got teh faceplate customized but all in all I'm not a huge fan.

My current mixer is this one which I bought brand new for $200. It has been great to me.

The next time I get a mixer it will be a Pioneer 909, a Rane TTM-57 or a Rane TTM-56.

• no pics, but, in chronological order:

-4 channel heavy ass gemini w/ sound effects

- piece of shit 2 channel gemini with bpm counters that didnt work...ever

- green 2 channel gemini with skulls on it that had those "kill switches"

- stanton sk2f with the "focus fader" (good fader, shitty mixer)

- vestax 05 pro II (had this the longest)

- pioneer djm 909

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Guitar Center Clearance? No Joke. Just when I'm in need of a mixer. I'mma hunt for that one.

- spidey

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I, like everbody else, rocked the Gemini Scratchmaster--in fact, I still have it. Before I had that, though, I had an awful, awful Lineartech mixer. The fader on that thing turned to complete static even faster than the Scratchmaster's did. So getting the Gemini was a step up. I rocked that Gemini for a while, then got a Vestax 06, then my current jammie, a Rane 56.

• Lineartech
    You think their mixers suck, try cutting on a Lineartech turntable.

• I had a crappy gemini, I can't even remember which one, but it broke in a couple of weeks. Then I got the Vestax 06 and eventually the 05 which is what I have now. I really like the layout, but if I had the money I would buy a Rane mixer no question.

• 1997-

1999-

2000-

Today-

• 1999-

I totally forgot about this one. Shit I had one of these and it was complete crap.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    My first mixer was an awful Radio Shack joint. The fader was like trying to push a rock through mud so I ended up using the little phono/line switches until my fingers couldn't take it anymore.
    It was similar to this:

After that I had the requisite Scratchmaster. I remember taking my fader out and washing it in the sink. Anyone remember the Flashformer? That thing was ridiculous and kind of considered cheating, but this dude around the way had one and I used to bug off that thing. He could freak it, but come on man!

After years of that thing and making beats with this
    I finally upgraded to an original 05 Pro. For making shit so damn expensive you'd think they wouldn't break so easily, eh? Those fader prongs were

After cutting with one of these at my mans house I was hooked:

Now I use this and there's no turning back. Pound for pound still the best mixer out there:

• 1999-

Another crappy mixer that burnt out, after one month of heavy use.

• After years of that thing and making beats with this
    Yo, remember back in the days when you had to record your beats to cassette before you turned off the sampler? Once that sampler goes off, that crazy beat that you hooked up will be gone forever (if you didn't record it to tape).

Ahhhh...the memories.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    first mixer i messed with was a gemini of some sort. dont remember the model as it wasnt mine, but it was white, and it had a sampler. this was in 97.

my first mixer that i owned was a numark. i dont rememeber the model for that one either, but it was all blue, had 3 channels, and had a slant on it. that was 99.

a year later i got that 2 channel stanton joint that was basically an 06 bite. i upgraded it with the focus fader, but i wasnt to in to it, so i sold it and

got an 05pro in 2001. i liked this for a while, but once i messed with the ttm56, i had to cop. i got that a little over a year ago.

no looking back.

i might get the 57 for the studio one day, but i am in no hurry whatsoever to do that.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

After years of that thing and making beats with this
    Yo, remember back in the days when you had to record your beats to cassette before you turned off the sampler? Once that sampler goes off, that crazy beat that you hooked up will be gone forever (if you didn't record it to tape).

Ahhhh...the memories.

Hahaha totally. Or you could use the 9volt inside and pray it stayed in there.
    I would record to this thing:

Every track you added on made it sound shittier and shittier by degrading the tape. I eventually moved on to one of these
    For years I would use that Gemini and play samples by hand for the whole song and then go over the next track and do it again. In retrospect it was probably good for me.

• I recorded my first mix tape on one of these I borrowed from a friend. Man was that a bad mix tape, and not bad meaning good.

• this is what i went thru in my six years of spinning.

this thing sucked. it had some nice features on it, like those crazy effects, but the one i got the mic in was all fucked up and there was problems with bleeding in the channels. Turntable lab hooked up a trade and i got the vestax. i love that mixer. i accidently put the wall wart from the stanton into the vestax and that shit exploded so i had to send it away for a few months.

• Ahhhh...the memories.

still have mine! Dusted it off & played around with it recently and have to say it's funn tweaking tones with the pitch slider while hitting the stop start button (which often sticks unfortunately). Mines only an 8 second joint though, that one above is some flossy schitt.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

93 - aw the 20" wide mixer steez. This has that legendary tin can sounding gemini sampler built in. Lots of hrs wasted playing w/ the jazzy roops.

97 - the made in japan ones, w/ the ultra shitty two tip fader prongs that broke for every single person. What a design flaw that shit was. Plus it costs way too much money. Alas, they had no competition at the time.

02 - bought it from a fly by night dude who got bored w/ dj'ing after copping top of the line gear a few months earlier. Scoop in on them newjacks. Hands down the best mixer evaaaar. Ok the 57 triumphs it now, but 56 is it in terms of bang for buck. I've only had to clean my fader twice in over 4 yrs.

• My first mixer, the shitty PMC 03. The faders bled in two days...I ran through like 3 of these at Guitar Center before I came to my senses.

Pissed off, I managed to work through that month and saved enough for a Vestax 05 II.

A few years later I found a great deal on an Allen & Heath Xone:02.

After a small incident that crushed my mixer, literally, I decided to move on and settle with a Rane 56.

• Ahhhh...the memories.

Mines only an 8 second joint though, that one above is some flossy schitt.
    Real talk!

• "Then I had a Numark that had a rotary crossfader, like it was a fader knob. I forget the model number, but I loved that one. "

was it the numark 1650? My boy gave that mixer to me and my partner for free and we used it for like a year and a half. It's was cool to us because both of us learned how to scratch using our dads stereos. So using a rotary knob to cut was alright with us.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Used the Vestex 05PRO for years. Great mixer, and I recomended vestex to countless new DJs too.

Had a Rane for about 3 months and I have to say - once you use a rane cross fader you will never want to go back to anything else. Smooth as a babies bum and

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    you guys remember the flashformer?

it had buttons that let you transform by pressing a button down. it was like a little add on box to your mixer. i've been searching ebay for the alst year or so, but none ever turn up.