Tepid Funk vs. Tacky Funk

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Is there a difference?I was up all night worrying about this.And don't let me have to hit you with a "Your Favorite Tepid Funk Terds II" thread--I see some of you little dudes falling back into your old habits, talking up Lonnie Smith LPs on Groove Merchant and such.

Comments

• Where would we all be without record stores to buy back our Pazant Brothers LPs?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where would we all be without record stores to buy back our Pazant Brothers LPs?

Indeed.

Now that I have relieved myself of that terd I am free to badmouth it in public.

• Now that I have relieved myself of that terd I am free to badmouth it in public.
    One-tracker?

Now that I have relieved myself of that terd I am free to badmouth it in public.
    One-tracker?

None-tracker

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Anybody badmouths this one, well at least the title track, and some serious scientifical madness will be brought to your doorstep...

Anybody badmouths this one, well at least the title track, and some serious scientifical madness will be brought to your doorstep...

Yeah, I like that track, too, but you seem a little confused about the purpose of this thread--it's not about records that you like.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    is the Pazant Brothers really that bad?

---

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tepid Funk is the father of Tacky Funk--older, more entrenched; harder to kill, yet closer to death.

Tepid Funk is the father of Tacky Funk--older, more entrenched; harder to kill, yet closer to death.

I was thinking the distinction was more along the lines of : Tacky Funk is played by aging jazz dudes, while Tepid Funk is played by actual [Rickey Vincent]funkateers[/Rickey Vincent].

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Have any of the people who dog Rickey Vincent so regurlarly on here, seemingly based on his book and his tendencies towards cheesy funk, ever had a chance to catch his radio show?

Not sure if it's still running, but it used to be the real deal.

regarding tepid/tacky funk, I feel the issue of drums must be mentioned.

certain types of music connoisseurs simply must have breakbeat_boombap_quarternoteshuffle_snarepop drums in whatever they listen to.

they'd rather listen to a lesser record with the style of drumming they prefer, instead of a better soul or jazz record with a different rhythm.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    is the Pazant Brothers really that bad?

---

If your thinking your getting Chick A Boom pt 2 then yes.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I was thinking the distinction was more along the lines of : Tacky Funk is played by aging jazz dudes, while Tepid Funk is played by actual [Rickey Vincent]funkateers[/Rickey Vincent].

Your pretty much right on, I would also add that Tedpid funk is also played by great funk bands that had to give into the disco era by label preassures.

I would also add that Tedpid funk is also played by great funk bands that had to give into the disco era by label preassures.

disco was the same as funk.

it was simply the latest 'thing' & bands that wanted to be popular had to adjust.

I don't buy the whole thing about labels twisting arms to get their groups to play disco, the bands wanted to do it( regardless of what they said later in interviews when the 'fad' blew over)

---

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    regarding tepid/tacky funk, I feel the issue of drums must be mentioned.

certain types of music connoisseurs simply must have breakbeat_boombap_quarternoteshuffle_snarepop drums in whatever they listen to.

they'd rather listen to a lesser record with the style of drumming they prefer, instead of a better soul or jazz record with a different rhythm.

You might be entering into a world of pain with this.

and another thing...

tacky jazz funk dudes may have pointlessly covered 70's pop tunes like 'close to you', 'we've only just begun', 'more today than yesterday', 'raindrops keep fallin on my head', 'ain't no sunshine' etc etc.

but in 1965 the same guys would have been doing tunes from broadway shows.

not much different I think.

working bands usually play whatever is popular.

---

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    and another thing...

tacky jazz funk dudes may have pointlessly covered 70's pop tunes like 'close to you', 'we've only just begun', 'more today than yesterday', 'raindrops keep fallin on my head', 'ain't no sunshine' etc etc.

but in 1965 the same guys would have been doing tunes from broadway shows.

not much different I think.

working bands usually play whatever is popular.

---

your totally right though. haha!

I would also add that Tedpid funk is also played by great funk bands that had to give into the disco era by label preassures.

disco was the same as funk.

it was simply the latest 'thing' & bands that wanted to be popular had to adjust.

worldviews are crumbling...

here's another thought on the evolution of funk.

it was the DJ( not disco) that killed off the funk band.

simple economics: hiring a DJ is far cheaper than paying 5-10 guys to play.

circa the mid 70's clubs & bars started realizing this & also that audiences would accept hearing recorded music instead of live musicians.

similar factors made the big swing band obsolete in the 40's & led to smaller R&B/jump bands & the bebop quartet/quintet style.

---

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Are we allowed to badmouth airbrushed nipples?