I'm Paul Mooney, batches! (James Brown-related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Contrary to the vicious accusation that I never get out to live shows, I went to the James Brown "Soul on Top" show at the Hollywood Bowl the other night.See? I keeps it real! (Of course, #1 it was the Hollywood Bowl and #2, I didn't actually pay to go since #3 I wrote about the show for the LAT but hey, I got out).Here's the thing: the big band portion of the show (read here for background) was fine...kind of snoozy at times b/c they did too many ballads and really needed at least one more uptempo track. THEN, JB started doing a few of his songs, with his band, the "Soul Generals" and brought out her:...who sang a version of "This Bitter Earth." It was For one thing, she looked like Morticia + Katherine O'Hara and sang like a vaguely tone-deaf Janis Joplin. Seriously, people were all snickering at the performance...she was that terrible. Then I realized: oh snap, this is James Brown's WIFE. Which explains a lot.And further justifies why nepotism is a bad, bad thing. But I went from laughing at Tommie Rae to remembering that she had accused JB of beating her while he was high on drugs and that she tried to leave him and take their young son with her and then I felt bad for her. Even though she really was a bit of a train wreck on stage. Anyone else catch a JB show of late? I'm assuming she's at all of these.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    She seriously looks like a dude!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    She seriously looks like a dude!

with severe gynecomastia.

• just how much pcp was james' publicist smoking when he dreamed this one up...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/jabrown1.html

it would have been better if she didnt know first

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That bad, huh? My friend saw them at the House of Blues down here and said it was a good show. Then again she's not a funk aficionado or record person, at all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That bad, huh? My friend saw them at the House of Blues down here and said it was a good show. Then again she's not a funk aficionado or record person, at all.

I mean, it's James fucking Brown. No matter what, he's the man. And he knows how to play to a crowd. But yeah, it was awkward when Tommie Rae hit the stage - shit was surreal at times.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I mean, it's James fucking Brown. No matter what, he's the man. And he knows how to play to a crowd. But yeah, it was awkward when Tommie Rae hit the stage - shit was surreal at times.

If I'm not mistaken, a similar thing happened on that TV tribute to James when she came on the stage?

Scratch that, that was "Strangelove" on VH1

"for the benefit of their carriers"...

it would have been better if she didnt know first

I've never seen a kid look so bored at disney world!

• At least she didn't butcher 'At Last' which i have seen her do more than once...

• pknypkny 549 Posts

For one thing, she looked like Morticia + Katherine O'Hara and sang like a vaguely tone-deaf Janis Joplin. Seriously, people were all snickering at the performance...she was that terrible.

Then I realized: oh snap, this is James Brown's WIFE.

Which explains a lot.

And further justifies why nepotism is a bad, bad thing.

I saw James play about 4 years ago, and not only did he let wifey have a solo, but he had his son on guitar...I don't think they even had dude's amp turned on for most of the show.

At least she didn't butcher 'At Last' which i have seen her do more than once...

*shudder*

Yeah, I guess "This Bitter Earth" wouldn't be as bad as listening to a butchered version of Etta James (if I wanted that, I'd go listen to Xtina).

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I was at that same show and I dind't think her voice was that bad. Her dance moves were pure jokes though.

Any negativity from her falls to the waistside when I think of James ripping shit during "It's a Mans World"

and Louie Bellson was like a jazz version of Sophia from the golden girls.

Sharp

I was at that same show and I dind't think her voice was that bad. Her dance moves were pure jokes though.

Any negativity from her falls to the waistside when I think of James ripping shit during "It's a Mans World"

and Louie Bellson was like a jazz version of Sophia from the golden girls.

Sharp

Seriously. Dude has Parkinson's too and he was still drum soloing?