Guitars, Bars and Motown Superstars

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
This may be late. If so, I apologize.I just copped this today at the Pure Detroit store in the Ren Cen.Has anyone read this yet (Dennis Coffey autobiography)?It's kind of a flustering read, but quite educational. He gives the knowledge dropped on all his private-pressy presses.

Comments

• So no one has read Dennis Coffey's autobiography that reads like a lonely 70 year old, reminiscing about what he thinks is charmed life?

• actually i did read this... i think it was VERY poorly written, a more or less terrible read. HOWEVER, i'm not mad that i read it, there's still plenty of interesting/worthwhile information and perspective there.

• So no one has read Dennis Coffey's autobiography that reads like a lonely 70 year old, reminiscing about what he thinks is charmed life[/b]?
    I haven't read it, but isn't it someowhat depressing to read books like that? I read Mel Cheren's biography (Disco/West End Records/Paradise Garage related) last year, and it had a lot of interesting facts and anecdotes about the music biz and especially the impact of AIDS in the 80's. But some of could definitely have used some vetting. Among other things he credited himself with coming up with the idea to shrinkwrap records.

• So no one has read Dennis Coffey's autobiography that reads like a lonely 70 year old, reminiscing about what he thinks is charmed life[/b]?
    I haven't read it, but isn't it someowhat depressing to read books like that? I read Mel Cheren's biography (Disco/West End Records/Paradise Garage related) last year, and it had a lot of interesting facts and anecdotes about the music biz and especially the impact of AIDS in the 80's. But some of could definitely have used some vetting. Among other things he credited himself with coming up with the idea to shrinkwrap records.
    It definitely is depressing, especially since HE wrote it. Mr. Coffey is not a good storyteller and not so much on the writing tip. He's all over the place chronologically. He'll be talking about '67 and be reminiscing about how "Scorpio" was his first hit.

It's a fun read though. I mean, if you're into Detroit records, it's the shit kind of.

The funniest and saddest parts of the book are when he "quotes" a person from an incident that happened 40 years ago. He'll be talking about how Eddie Willis got hemmed up by the National Guard in a tank during the '67 riots and somehow he's got an exact quote of his description. There's no citing or anything. he he he...