Funkadelic Covers

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
anyone know if this is any good? What's it sound like?

Comments

• Not sure how you could lose w/ a Mike Terry arranged Funkadelic cover, but SoulHawk could probably give you the lowdown...and tell you a thing or two about the seller. Ha!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Not sure how you could lose w/ a Mike Terry arranged Funkadelic cover, but SoulHawk could probably give you the lowdown...and tell you a thing or two about the seller. Ha!

Who's mike Terry?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I'm surprised you have to ask, but yeah, it's dope.

I wish I had a copy, my man P-Gunn has it and rocks it
    on the regular.

• Not sure how you could lose w/ a Mike Terry arranged Funkadelic cover, but SoulHawk could probably give you the lowdown...and tell you a thing or two about the seller. Ha!

Who's mike Terry?

One of the most prolific and prodigiously talented soul producers/arrangers in history, IMO. He did production for the likes of the Precisions, Edwin Starr, Theresa Lindsay, the Parliaments, the Final Decisions etc. etc. etc. He also played baritone sax on a number of Motown, and non-Motown R&B records.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I'm surprised you have to ask, but yeah, it's dope.

I wish I had a copy, my man P-Gunn has it and rocks it
    on the regular.

SUrprised I don't know Terry or the record? Why (just curious)?

Thanks for the knowledge Break. I definitely should pay more attention to production credits.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Didn't mean it to sound snotty, just that
    a cover of a dope Funkadelic song, with a
    female singer, on a Detroit label, I feel
    like those are much better odds than you can
    usually hope for in the record game - call it
    the ultimate "low-risk proposition."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Got it.

• Thanks for the knowledge Break. I definitely should pay more attention to production credits.

No problem dude. And, yes, noting the production credits will definitely make your life easier, especially if you're trying to break into the 45 game.

• Mike Terry's the same cat who worked often with Ollie McLaughlin, yes?

• Mike Terry's the same cat who worked often with Ollie McLaughlin, yes?

You got it. Ollie owned the Karen, Carla, and Moira labels so he was pretty deep in the game. He also worked with Milton Wright!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Thanks for the knowledge Break. I definitely should pay more attention to production credits.

No problem dude. And, yes, noting the production credits will definitely make your life easier, especially if you're trying to break into the 45 game.

I am more of an intuitive type, which is odd because I have a pretty good memory for names and the like.

Who's mike Terry?

One of the most prolific and prodigiously talented soul producers/arrangers in history, IMO. He did production for the likes of the Precisions, Edwin Starr, Theresa Lindsay, the Parliaments, the Final Decisions etc. etc. etc. He also played baritone sax on a number of Motown, and non-Motown R&B records.

He's also the "MIK" in "GEO-SI-MIK" productions (that you see all over Revilot, Solid Hit and Golden World labels. GEO = George Clinton, SI= Sidney Barnes.