long shot pressing flaw question

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I recently dug up a Priscilla Price "Rockerfeller Jones" 45 on GMC...great fuggin' tune, but it has repeating skips all over the damn place and I have looked at this thing with everything but an electron microscope...I cant see a damn thing wrong with this record. Every groove is clean...I know I am being obsessive about this, but damn, I like this tune...cant find hide nor hair of it on the interweb. I want another copy, but dont want to buy one with the same affliction that will bring the same heartache. Anybody know if there is a botched pressing? I realize this tune straddles the line of "who gives a shit", but it sounds good to my earholes. Anyone got one to sell? thanks in advance.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm sure you know this and have checked.........

One thing I've run into is the grooves are not spaced even. I've had record that are clean as can be but the groove lines are so close at some points they jump from one groove to another. Don't know how to decribe it other than to say they look woobley or shakey like some caffine freak cut the groove by hand with an engraver. Not sure what causes this. Either a cheap press stamp or one that is just worn and ready to be replaced. Some have been so bad I've had to chuck them and some just had it in a couple places and I was able to do the needle trick.

• If you're using a Technics 1200 trying loosening the small screw at the very top where the tonearm connects to the table. I had a recent problem like this and that solved it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    have you tried setting your couterweight higher when playing it? This ahs worked a few times for me with records like this...

• If you're using a Technics 1200 trying loosening the small screw at the very top where the tonearm connects to the table. I had a recent problem like this and that solved it.

will try this.

the counterweight thing was the first thing I tried and adjusting the tonearm height (I have 1210s...still dont know what this feature is for, but figured I would try it)
    even tried the "finger thing"...AYO!