West Africa record finds Vol.2: Cotonou

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Just finaly got over a nasty respiratory infection (that's what inhaling too much mold can do to you) after returning froma ten day record raid in Cotonou, the capital city of Benin (see old Sierra Leone Thread for details).Here's some of the stuff that I found:my third and fourth copy of this Poly Rythmo Funk Bomb...in various degrees of being eaten away by mold and all sorts of little creatures.Some of the records I've seen had covers that were completely eaten away all the way to the vinyl,leaving round circles of cardboard and inner sleeves.You can probably imagine how the bottom of those boxes (or in one case whicker baskets!) looked like.Top left is also Poly Rythmo and even though it appears to be from the early 80's, there's still a top Afrobeat track on it.The Akeeb Kareem is completely nuts, Afro-Psych-Funk of the highest order!Got especialy lucky with 45s on this trip.One can never have enough copies of this fine record:and some more 45s:I'm doing a radio show for SLBS (Siera Leone Broadcasting Services) in Freetown every now and then.I just started preparing for two one-hour shows using only the stuff I found on the these last two trips.I'm working on figuring out a way to perhaps post them online.

Comments

• I'm working on figuring out a way to perhaps post them online.
    Please do!

I'm extra curious about hearing Akeeb Kareem (afro-psych-funk).
    Good shit, Frank.

• i only know what a fraction of those are but still

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    This is how real digging should look like. GOTDAMN! I don't know how you managed upon most of these, but congratulations!

(hearing that mix would be extra excellent)

• damn...looks like someone had a good session...minus the whole death-mold thing...

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

I'm working on figuring out a way to perhaps post them online.
    Please do!

I'm extra curious about hearing Akeeb Kareem (afro-psych-funk).
    Good shit, Frank.

ditto
    any chance for puttin mp3s of that record online?
    damn your two threads of this trip are the joint

• AMAZING! (so jealous right now)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    any chance for puttin mp3s of that record online?

I just arranged for the two 1-hour long shows to be put online within the next few weeks. It's a lengthy process because I first have to mail CDRs to the US for online posting. Connection speed and constant crashes forbid any mp3 upload from down here...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hell yes, this is that shit. Just when I thought this board was all about bitchy gossip, someone is coming through with the moldy waxwax. I don't know most of those joints, but I sure would like a sip of the audio juice. Where is thread #1? I missed that. My internet connection has been real dodgy the last week.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hell yes, this is that shit. Just when I thought this board was all about bitchy gossip, someone is coming through with the moldy waxwax. I don't know most of those joints, but I sure would like a sip of the audio juice. Where is thread #1? I missed that. My internet connection has been real dodgy the last week.

Here's the link:

Frank's first thread

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Great stuff, not just the record pron, but also the allround insight, Frank. Thank yez.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thanks frank
    props

• I wonder if my recent respiratory problems are due to mold...

Awesome finds, Frank! It's great to see some records on here for a change, and good to see you back.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I wonder if my recent respiratory problems are due to mold...

About time to start rocking those japanese dust-masks.

• Amazing! Are cassettes still big in West Africa? Or have CDs/CD-Rs taken over? A friend of mine who lived in Senegal had a great collection of tapes from a guy with a market stall packed with LPs and 45s. He wouldn't sell any of them, only made tapes!!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Amazing! Are cassettes still big in West Africa? Or have CDs/CD-Rs taken over? A friend of mine who lived in Senegal had a great collection of tapes from a guy with a market stall packed with LPs and 45s. He wouldn't sell any of them, only made tapes!!

Yeah there's stalls or stores like that in every city.
    Some still do cassettes but mainly CDs (CDRs).

Since there's no real local demand for 70s music anymore, besides Highlife and Traditional stuff most do let go of their LPs by now. Unfortunately, after sitting in a store thats's being flooded during each years rainy season, these records are often in pretty tough condition, at least the covers...

I still had the original tracks of the radio shows so I managed to pull all the spoken bits and move together tracks so there's no dead air. It's exclusively tracks from the records you saw on these two threads. Wouldn't really call it a mix since it's just track after track (I can't mix)... Whatever you want to call it, the CDR will be shipped to NY tomorrow and upon arrival, the two one-hour chunks of music will be posted by Jonny who was nice enough to volunteer doing this.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    take care of yourself, frank.
    make sure you wear a mask when you're out there.
    respiratory infection from record hunting is no joke- mold, dust, or otherwise.

great stuff! thank you for vicarious enjoyment!
    please set aside things that are doubles/triples/quadruples for interested parties.

peace

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    the two one-hour chunks of music will be posted by Jonny who was nice enough to volunteer doing this.

Thanks Jonny!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Seriously, thanks johnny and of course frank for sharing ith us

Frank i see you are not accepting PM please to PM me in regards to african 45 record collectro aka yours truly