edited September 2006 in Strut Central
um...

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• wtf is this shit??

• Awww hell no!
    Fuck outta here with that bullshit.

• new ipod campaign? i dunt get it.

• Do you guys understand what this campaign is about?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, it's an unfortunate look with those posters, but it's
    an even worse look to slam people promoting charity to
    supply AIDS drugs to dying children in Africa ... no hate
    to anyone on here for their reactions, cause the reflex is
    "UGH! GWYNETH PALTROW IN TRIBAL MAKEUP!" but I don't think
    anyone is going to argue with the cause or hate on those putting
    in time to help.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Day this ground was already covered in the White Gurlz dropping n-bombs thread a few weeks back.

"Apple is an African Name"

• um...

Man the media is reaaaaaaaly trying hard with this one. First a movie about hip-hop , "GET UP", with 2 two white lead actors and then this?

• Yeah, it's an unfortunate look with those posters, but it's
    an even worse look to slam people promoting charity to
    supply AIDS drugs to dying children in Africa ... no hate
    to anyone on here for their reactions, cause the reflex is
    "UGH! GWYNETH PALTROW IN TRIBAL MAKEUP!" but I don't think
    anyone is going to argue with the cause or hate on those putting
    in time to help.

Knee-jerk reaction.

i think they could of did a better ad though.
    Good cause, BTW.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    First a movie about hip-hop , "GET UP", with 2 two white lead actors and then this?

I can't believe you know enough about this movie to critique it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man, i really liked lenny kravitz's first two albums when they came out.

• First a movie about hip-hop , "GET UP", with 2 two white lead actors and then this?

I can't believe you know enough about this movie to critique it.

Oh geez, they where running a lot of tv commercials, local news paper ads, bus ads, and these dramatic radio spts for it (something to the effect of "ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE A MOVIE COMES ALONG THAT DEFINES THE DANCING OF A GENERATION")

I'm suprised you didn't see it opening night at the Magic Johnson theater in Harlem.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

that shit is stupid. sorry.

it's amazing how glib self righteous hollywood cunts can ruin a good cause.

doesn't richard gere have some Tibetan mice to save.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I see what you're saying Frank and I agree with the assessment that Hollywood types are vain, self righteous, and are all quick to connect their names to whatever "causes c??l??bres" will help them spread their own promotional machine.

HOWEVER, any and every bit of help, exposure, support and assistance is welcome and truly needed for an issue such as this. Africa is dying, dude. It's going to take the whole world to help save it. I see people being confused about this campaign, but really there is no reason to be mad at it at all considering what the impetus behing it is. People standing up for life, something we all should be doing.

• that shit is stupid. sorry.

I see what you're saying Frank and I agree with the assessment that Hollywood types are vain, self righteous, and are all quick to connect their names to whatever "causes c??l??bres" will help them spread their own promotional machine.

HOWEVER, any and every bit of help, exposure, support and assistance is welcome and truly needed for an issue such as this. Africa is dying, dude. It's going to take the whole world to help save it. I see people being confused about this campaign, but really there is no reason to be mad at it at all considering what the impetus behing it is. People standing up for life, something we all should be doing.

I have to cosign with Cosmo on this.
    I'm sitting here listening to Fela, and while Gwyneth Paltrow's bony ass isn't the first thing that comes to mind, if her appearing in those ads makes even a few of her fans think about what's happening in Africa, it'll be worth it.

• that shit is stupid. sorry.

I think the campaign is pretty ridiculous and could have been done a lot better, but ultimately, I don't think you can slam the celebs. Cosmo is completely right - the exposure certain celebrities have brought to issues (such as AIDS, Katrina, etc) has gone a very, very long way. Money, awareness, etc. It is definitely helping the cause, not hurting it.

Africa IS dying - life expectancies in many countries have dropped in the past 20 years - the only region in the world where that has happened and largely due to the AIDS pandemic. Honestly, AIDS prevention is a much more cost effective method to reduce the AIDS burden and ultimately control the pandemic than anti-retroviral drugs, but that is another issue entirely. The drugs work at improving individual lives, families, and economies but prevention works better for entire populations.

I have to cosign with Cosmo on this.
    I'm sitting here listening to Fela, and while Gwyneth Paltrow's bony ass isn't the first thing that comes to mind, if her appearing in those ads makes even a few of her fans think about what's happening in Africa, it'll be worth it.

I agree with both of yous. But looking at these ads...I'm not inclined to whip out my credit card.

I just don't get why Sara Jessica Parker in tribeface being "African" makes a fuck about anything?

Oh wait, maybe it's this...

"just because I'm black and poor doesn't mean my life is expendable...because you wouldn't let the star of sex in the city die...would you?"

it's sickening.

• you wouldn't let the star of sex in the city die...would you?"

Just for the record, I would....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Oh wait, maybe it's this...

"just because I'm black and poor doesn't mean my life is expendable...because you wouldn't let the star of sex in the city die...would you?"

it's sickening.

Well I think that the racism, both subtle and unconscious, as well as overt, is completely sickening.

But I think that racism, as an extention of the terrible scars that we as a country still bear from the effects of slavery, is disgusting but must be issued. Because we as a country, as AMERICA, still have not confronted the deep-seeded racism that flows through the very veins of us as a society, this is why what happened in NOLA went down. I also think that global racism is terrible. The tandem of racism and apathy has helped contribute to this problem.

Maybe I've had too much coffee today, because I can't tell if that makes sense.

Maybe I've had too much coffee today.

I need some.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I admit this thread was in bad taste.
    Cosmo, Soulonice, Funky16 are all right. Maybe this will open more eyes to the situation that wouldn't have been before. And ultimately that is the goal.
    It's still corny though.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    cosign with Cosmo on this one,

you should also keep in mind that this campaign aims to appeal to as many people as possible and not to aestheticaly please cultural extremists like the ones who frequent this board.

Especialy guys like you, who frequently witness the aftermath of mainstream culture while browsing through dollar bins should know that the majority of people just has really bad taste. Since the goal of this campaign is to reach as many people as posible, good taste would be a mistake.

On a completely unrelated note:
    Everyone of you would most probably really enjoy this excelent book here:

it's a real amazing read and even includes a special Soulstrut moment/injoke...

• e cultural extremists .

????

• I admit this thread was in bad taste.
    Cosmo, Soulonice, Funky16 are all right. Maybe this will open more eyes to the situation that wouldn't have been before. And ultimately that is the goal.
    It's still corny though.

day don't fall back so easily from your first thought, shit is wack, i know what the other dudes are saying but this shit is just retarded, gwynith with war paint and beads come the fuck on! if people really think this is going to do something about the problems in africa you need help, someone might put a bumper sticker on their car and it may make a celebrity feel good about themselves for a couple hours and maybe not so guilty. this is on the same level as the "we all have aids" shit

e cultural extremists .

????

and experiencing what in the dollar bins?