Results of eBay and Your Record Buying Experience

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Here's some stuff that showed up in my mailbox over the past couple of weeks courtesy of that scourge of record collecting, eBay: I hit the Chiyo Okumura motherlode for about $6.35/ea. ppd. The two on the bottom are spare copies.Brothers Hawk were on that TEEN DANCE MUSIC CD from a couple years back. Thanks wxdrmy.com aka WeirdRecordsThatSuckDotCom for the tip on the Sakura LP. Thanks LJ buddies for the tip on the BOOM BOOM LP. Fuzzy. Chiyo LP is a spare copy.Rita was kinda killing it with the garagey sounds. At least three of the tunes ("How To Catch A Girl," "Wooly Bully," and "Yummy Yummy Yummy") have been comped. Naomi & the Boys is in English, and moody in a Phil Spector girlgroup way, minus the big production.French versions of "Midnight Hour" & "Spinning Wheel," Nino Ferrer & Uschi Bruning killing it with the drumbreaks, Pat Simon great pop tune in German about a girl who lives in a small town with no discotheques, UK Jones is heavy street chant almost oi bubblegum stomper.Kati turns in the heaviest German tune I've heard, Rote Guitarren (Red Guitars) beautiful sleeve and a killer garage/psych "A Little Bit Hurt" ripoff, Danyel Gerard contains the French sitar psych hit "Sexologie pts. 1 & 2" and has some other stoned out moments, Herbert Leonard french versions of "Somebody To Love" (w/ b-boy bass/drum/bongo break) "Something's Gotta Hold of My Heart" and is basically a solid French pop sike LP. I think I'll take a pass on the eBay boycott if ya'll don't mind.

Comments

• I think I have a Sakura LP that is pretty wild. I'll have to post. That's cool if she had others too.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    That that schitt to weirdrecordsthatsuck.com, son!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I think that's the first record I've ever seen listed as in "GOOD- CONDITION"

• Betty Chung: punchy gogo versions of "Ladybird", "Sunny", "Georgy Girl", "Massachusetts" etc. (thanks for the tip Motown67)
    Sorrows: Vivi / Mi Si Spezza Il Cuore - great UK 60s garage in Italian
    Yiu Soa Yung: cover of Mieko Hirota's groovy "A Sorrowful Day" b/w sultry cover of "House of the Rising Sun" (thanks for the tip Phyllisgabor)
    Gerd Michaelis Choir: Heavy chorus-based 70s fuzz from Germany (thanks thanks for the tip Ben in Germany & Georgiana in Singapore)

• My man:

Please to explain what are these records. Are these considered mod or something? I'm geniunely curious

• they are (insert foriegn nationality here) housewife music.

Plaese to bring doubles/extras to Memphis for trade and or money cash plaese.

• My man:

Please to explain what are these records. Are these considered mod or something? I'm geniunely curious

Some of these records do get a lot of play on the current mod scene, especially in Europe. I'm thinking specifically of Gerd MIchaelis & Kati Kovacs which are "this years spins" for some DJs in Germany. Recently the mod scene has really embraced heavier early 70s sounds (even prog & biker rock), so it's not just all The Who, Small Faces, targets and scooters anymore. Much to some purists' chagrin.

The Sorrows, Nino Ferrer, Eddy Mitchell, Danyel Gerard, Herbert Leonard and Johnny Hallyday are most definitely 60s international mod scene classics, and as such, are old news to Europeans. But they are relatively fresh here in the USA, though some longtimers may yawn at hearing them in the club nowadays.

The Asian records are mostly for my own enjoyment. Chiyo Okumura tends to be more on the "moody loops" side of things (i.e. "enka") so clubwise, they're more loungey and sad-sounding, though a few of those pictured are uptempo.

The Rita Chao records are very mid-60s and garagey. Not really mod.

The Sakura records are also 60s/70s and real fuzzed out. Generally, very few Asian records get play on the mod scene (such as it is), but I love spinning them if they fit the club mood.

Psych and garage fans on Soulstrut would probably really dig a lot of these records.

• Here's an example of a Mod Club in Germany that plays some of this stuff. The Gerd Michaelis was on their playlist last month.

http://www.myspace.com/thehipcatclub

You can hear (a very tinny MP3) of the Kati Kovacs track. Click "Wind, Komm..." in the player.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Gerd Michaelis Choir: Heavy chorus-based 70s fuzz from Germany (thanks thanks for the tip Ben in Germany & Georgiana in Singapore)

maybe just annoying music???