Rumsfeld Attacks His Wavering Supporters

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Many are assuming that Donald Rumsfeld???s attack on those who question his failed war in Iraq, is aimed at liberal Democrats. Rumsfeld compared the realists who criticize his follies to those who wanted to appease the Nazis. I think this charge was really aimed at those in his own party who have lost faith in him and President Bush. Who were these Nazi appeasers of the past that Rumsfeld was referring to? Future Republican president Gerald Ford was one, as was Gen. Robert E. Wood, head of Sears & Roebuck. A conservative Republican Supreme Court justice Potter Stewart was another.When Rumsfeld and Bush chose to abandon the fight in Afghanistan, against the Taliban and Al Qaeda, they were able to hoodwink most Americans into supporting them. Now, more than 3 years later, their lies, mistakes and disregard for American lives and safety have left even their most ardent supporters questioning their policies. Rumsfeld was merely trying to scare those wavering supporters to fall back into lock step behind the administration.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I think this story has gotten way too much traction. Believe me, even they know it's absurd to mash-up European Fascists of the 30s with the Islamic Fundamentalist groups of today. I say that because just the mere fact that pundits and moderate politicians are debating the appropriate comparisons and hairsplitting terms is helping because they are still talking within the framework that Rumsfeld has laid out.

The best approach is to shift the discussion to accountability. At the same time, we should also be asking why the American people should lend an ounce of credence to any prediction made my this administration and its spokespeople. They are at the point where they should be defending a 6 year record of inaccurate predictions, mistakes and the resulting failures.

One more thing, with regards to mid-terms...The RNC is going to put out the arguments from 2004. One is that the Dems are the pre-911 party and the GOP is the post 911 party, but please remind people that the GOP has held Congress since 1994. And then remind them that country has been highly effective in the recent past when more than one party held power (i.e., Clinton/Lott/Newt and Reagan/O'Neil).

• don't u hat appeasers

• The best approach is to shift the discussion to accountability. At the same time, we should also be asking why the American people should lend an ounce of credence to any prediction made my this administration and its spokespeople.

They are at the point where they should be defending a 6 year record of inaccurate predictions, mistakes and the resulting failures.[/b]
    Pride is a hard poison to swallow.