Gettin' Right, Health-Wise Update(s)

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Hey Folks,

Remember a while back, we discussed gettin' right concerning our health. I was wondering how well you guys were doing on making desired lifestyle changes. Here's my update:

1. Weight-loss: I've lost 25 pounds (and still going).

2. Exercise: Before going to work, I'm walking (briskly) about 3 miles a day, 5 days a week (I'm not in shape enough to jog yet).

3. Sweets: I've almost cut them out of the diet completely (I cheat on rare occasions)

4. Smoking: I'm failing miserably on this one. Any tips???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Kids.

I don't do anything else healthwise because i can eatdrink whatever i want. oh yeah.

• Damn - keep up the good work Stacks!
    Sounds like you're on a roll.

Never been a smoker, so I don't know what advice I can give you to quit,
    but keep on showin' em what.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    healthwise:

-Put on 5 lbs in the last 7 weeks which is damn near a miracle.

-Increased my weightlifting reginement and unfortunately threw caution the the wind 2 weeks back (been typing with a sprined wrist for a little bit now) but I have noticed increased definition in my chest arms and back.

-Drinking several cups of water a day as opposed to the 6 pack of Dr. Pepper I'd grown accustomed to

-Still smoke waaaaaaaaay toooooo much weed

-Cut most chicken out of diet leaving my protein to come in tofu, veggie burgers and fish

BTW Big Stacks:[/b] have you set a specific goal?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    healthwise:

-Put on 5 lbs in the last 7 weeks which is damn near a miracle.

-Increased my weightlifting reginement and unfortunately threw caution the the wind 2 weeks back (been typing with a sprined wrist for a little bit now) but I have noticed increased definition in my chest arms and back.

-Drinking several cups of water a day as opposed to the 6 pack of Dr. Pepper I'd grown accustomed to

-Still smoke waaaaaaaaay toooooo much weed

-Cut most chicken out of diet leaving my protein to come in tofu, veggie burgers and fish

BTW Big Stacks:[/b] have you set a specific goal?

Hey Guzzo,

Yeah, I have an ideal weight goal of 200 lbs, so I've got 60 more pounds to go. I'm a tall, mesomorphic type dude so that is a good weight for my build. Personally, I'd like to get to 190 and funk on cats like I used to do on the court. The wife doesn't want me to get bony. The strange thing is the only "fat" part about my build is the gut, despite my weight. All the pounds went to the gut and nowhere else. A probable explanation for this is that I weight-trained for nearly 20 years (since a teenage), so I have a muscular frame.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Breakfast. Key factor. Get that metabolism going.

Props on the healthy mentality and pounds Stacks.

Peace.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

It's been a little over 3 months for me. Take deep breaths when you're stressed, cuz that's what you're basically doing when you're smoking. and supposedly that is what gives the calming effect for smokers. My friend also suggested chewing gum. I also like to shout out the window when i'm on the freeway and i'm stressed as hell, wannabe shadow-box when i wanna punch somebody in the face, and GRUB at night while watching t.v. after exercise and shower.

I have tried countless times....after 2 weeks it'd be..."alright, just one, cuz i'm out partying and having a good time...". my girl, who used to smoke too, said "cold turkey or nothing". that definitely seems to be the solution. Good luck my man. Long-term health is definitely important. Just think to yourself "smoking is not an option". I hardly fiend for one anymore.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Ha, Big Stacks bout to become Slim Stacks...

Keep it up hommie. You are very dedicated. Myself, I'm back to running 3 miles 4 times a week and doing some pushup and curls at home. Since I work from home, sometimes it's the only time I leave the house. It's good stress relief too. I have no idea what I'm weighing though I'll say I'm no where near Stacks' goal weight.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "cold turkey or nothing"
    "cold turkey or nothing"
    "cold turkey or nothing"
    "cold turkey or nothing"
    "cold turkey or nothing"

it's the only thing that worked for me, one day I realized how I always felt fine until I smoked, and then I always felt like shit afterwards. After almost 20 years of smoking, I dropped it just like that, handed the rest of my last pack to my co-worker. It's only been 9 or 10 months, but I can't stand the smell of them anymore, I am so done. You'll know when you are ready.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

It's been a little over 3 months for me. Take deep breaths when you're stressed, cuz that's what you're basically doing when you're smoking. and supposedly that is what gives the calming effect for smokers. My friend also suggested chewing gum. I also like to shout out the window when i'm on the freeway and i'm stressed as hell, wannabe shadow-box when i wanna punch somebody in the face, and GRUB at night while watching t.v. after exercise and shower.

I have tried countless times....after 2 weeks it'd be..."alright, just one, cuz i'm out partying and having a good time...". my girl, who used to smoke too, said "cold turkey or nothing". that definitely seems to be the solution. Good luck my man. Long-term health is definitely important. Just think to yourself "smoking is not an option". I hardly fiend for one anymore.

I smoke about a pack a day and I have no desire to quit...When the time comes for me to prepare my body for having children, I will do what this psychologist in California instructed his audience to do in a lecture: I'll take some Wellbutrin or Xyban + use a patch + use the gum. You should do all three of these things in the beginning and smoke regularly the first couple of days. You'll probably feel sick the first few times you try it and hopefully lay off the cigarettes but keep the other three components + cognitive behavioral therapy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    T***a,

we may want to hit up a little regiment together. you trying to lose or gain pounds?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Since January:

1) Went from 185 to 165

2) I can pretty much float again doing 6-step. Speed is back to highschool days.

3) Endurance levels are up by 800%

4) Still no soda. Still no fast food.

life is good.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Since January:

1) Went from 185 to 165

2) I can pretty much float again doing 6-step. Speed is back to highschool days.

3) Endurance levels are up by 800%

life is good.

Congratulations, D. You doin' it, maine!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

i swear your diet can make a world of difference.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    For the last 2-4 years my life/diet has seen an absence of:

alcohol

smoke

meat

dairy

soda

junk food

I still need to:

Exercise more/actually use my gym subscription

Diversify my diet

Use my juicer more

Get a check up to make sure I'm in tip-top shape

Drive my car more responsibly

I'm most definitely feeling healthier overall since making these changes.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I smoke about a pack a day and I have no desire to quit...When the time comes for me to prepare my body for having children, I will do what this psychologist in California instructed his audience to do in a lecture: I'll take some Wellbutrin or Xyban + use a patch + use the gum. You should do all three of these things in the beginning and smoke regularly the first couple of days. You'll probably feel sick the first few times you try it and hopefully lay off the cigarettes but keep the other three components + cognitive behavioral therapy.

lord i hope you do that before you get pregnant... we've all seen faux, there is no need for assistance into lightweight crackbabydom.

What trips me out is people that smoke and are like 7 months pregnant. It makes me want to puke.