Vintage portable record players - GP-3 related

scrimboscrimbo 49 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
I'm after one of these guys: Any one know of any (respectable) vintage audio suplliers that have an online presence??Theres nothing on ebay at the moment. Do they come up very often??Also what's a reasonable price to pay? After having a look around, there seems to be a heavy interest from Japanese collecters, which makes me think that it won't be cheap...

Comments

• Dustygroove and jetset records (japan) used to have them.
    I think it was about $260 aus for the gp3 and an extra needle including shipping from jetset.
    But they don't seem to have them anymore.

Maybe ask in the wanted section, they seem to be around fairly regularly.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    You can get them in Japan for about $100 US....
    if it's the clear blue model or the red/white model...

the other ones go for money... mylatency copped my spare cornelius ape off me for a nice price a couple of years ago...

peep www.myspace.com/breakbeatraer for more info...

peace.

• puppup 133 Posts

Any one know of any (respectable) vintage audio suplliers that have an online presence??

...pretty sure these are NOT vintage, unless 1990s counts as vintage in the portable turntable game. Have you tried turntable lab, along with dusty groove they both do mail order of the numark portable, which is only about 5 years less vintage.

...I will grant you the GP-3 looks super dope and vintage. Every weekend at the flea market some dude comes up and asks me if it was mine from when I was a kid. And I have to tell him/her every time, "No dude, they make these new in Japan."

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Picked one up for like $20 at the San Diego Record Show. I know that doesn't help you in NZ though..

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Anyone know how hard it is to find replacement needles are? Mine is still working great, but I'm wondering if I should stockpile a couple to keep it going well into the future.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

You can get them there.

Japanese heads can get replacement needles at any Disk Union, Banana Records or at Tokyu Hands for 1050 yen ($10 USD).

peace.

• Any one know of any (respectable) vintage audio suplliers that have an online presence??

...pretty sure these are NOT vintage, unless 1990s counts as vintage in the portable turntable game. Have you tried turntable lab, along with dusty groove they both do mail order of the numark portable, which is only about 5 years less vintage.

...I will grant you the GP-3 looks super dope and vintage. Every weekend at the flea market some dude comes up and asks me if it was mine from when I was a kid. And I have to tell him/her every time, "No dude, they make these new in Japan."

1990?? Wow, wouldn't have guessed that. Dustygroove and Jetset no longer stock them it seems. May have to keep checking on ebay.

Thanks for all the help!

• cornelius ape

peace.

plaese to pictures?

pretty plaese?

b/w how much do dem gmx-3 catch these days? hens teeth?

cornelius ape

peace.

plaese to pictures?

pretty plaese?

b/w how much do dem gmx-3 catch these days? hens teeth?

GMX-3 is about $60-100 depending on condition.

I put picture of my setup at http://www.myspace.com/breakbeatraer

peace.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    GP-3s are crap! Buy a Philips on eBay. Fuck Columbia portables!!! Flimsy!!!

Really, I'd buy a Philips with build in speakers or plug-ins for headphones. 100* better than the GP3.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'll have to agree, the GP looks dope but could be more
    durable. I used to take mine diggin' all the time and
    it shows, the red cover has been super glued more times
    than I care to recall.

• GP-3s are crap! Buy a Philips on eBay. Fuck Columbia portables!!! Flimsy!!!

Really, I'd buy a Philips with build in speakers or plug-ins for headphones. 100* better than the GP3.

what model you talkin bout? still in production?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    GP-3s are crap! Buy a Philips on eBay. Fuck Columbia portables!!! Flimsy!!!

what model you talkin bout? still in production?

no. but philips had some decent portables. a little heavy though.
    the gp3 is nothing but a better fisher price player.

if you are really looking for a GOOD portable, buy a Soundburger. At least 3 companies sold it in the 80s. Not in production anymore. kinda expensive. but i'd rather spend 300 on a sound burger (no pitch - but who needs a pitch on a portable?!) than 150 on a GP-3.

random philips portable (looks nice, but i doubt that it has headphone jacks and i bet it's heavy and big - there are some better models - not only by philips):

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• philips heavy + big + ac cord =

my trusty almost 10 yr old gp3 thats louder than the newer vestax&numark garbage=

never had problems w/ mine, been in my trunk almost since i got it

yall need to

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    philips heavy + big + ac cord =

my trusty almost 10 yr old gp3 thats louder than the newer vestax&numark garbage=

never had problems w/ mine, been in my trunk almost since i got it

yall need to

i'm bored and have been studying for the last 3 months. mental overkill. the gp3 is not that bad. it's ok. but it's kinda expensive. i bought my sound burger for around 120 USD. muuuuuuuuch better. but i was lucky to find that sound burger. never seen another one.

• agrees, the mister disc/sound burger is a nice machine, though a bit lacking in the looks dept.

sound burger is a belt drive no?

can you cut it up on a burger like a gp3? or listen to records upside down?

butt the burger def has got the columbia beat on size/outputs, tough call, 'cept the price, most on feebay have been in the $200+ range.

how bout one of each?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    impossile to scratch on the sound burger
    upside down? never tried it
    two of both? what for?
    i'm very happy with my sound burger. i will never buy another one. the design is nice! i love it!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Any one know of any (respectable) vintage audio suplliers that have an online presence??

...pretty sure these are NOT vintage

Actually, they both are and are not. The design for the GP3 is most definitely vintage insofar as Columbia was manufacturing these back as early (I believe) as the 1960s. However, b/c interest fell, they slowly fell out of production until the 1990s, when Japan's Columbia division was talked into bringing them back into production, coinciding with rising demand for them.

So mechanically, today's GP3s are "new" but they're based off of original design and engineering which dates back far later.

Personally, I think the GP3s are good - not great. The Philips are nice but they vary widely in size and functionality whereas the GP3s are a consistent, predictable model: you know exactly what you're getting with them.

I'm a devotee of the Sound Burger and I'm surprised people think it's kind of boring design-wise. I turn FAR more heads with the Sound Burger than I do with a GP3 or Vestax/Numark portable.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    But no - you can't scratch on a Sound Burger nor play it upside down. Only the GP3 has the upside function but I have yet to find (or want) a portable that I could scratch on. I mean, c'mon.

My only beef with the Sound Burger is that it's not forgiving of any warp on a record, even slight. They're engineered a bit too finely in terms of requiring the vinyl to be perfectly flat lest it graze against the base or sides. It also has a VERY sentitive needle that will pick up any vibrations on a surface it's resting upon. That said, the sound quality is far better than a lot of other portables.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I turn FAR more heads with the Sound Burger than I do with a GP3 or Vestax/Numark portable.

some heads should never be turn

• I turn FAR more heads with the Sound Burger than I do with a GP3 or Vestax/Numark portable.

some heads should never be turn

if turning heads is your bag,
    the vinylkiller bus is

if turning heads is your bag,
    the vinylkiller bus is

record eating bus... it's a fun party trick, but I wouldn't be bustin' it out at record fairs or use it on any record that I plan on keeping or re-selling! that shit is literally a "vinyl killer".

• ur kiddn? thats the only way to records priceless acetates before sellin, vinyl killer with a myfirstsony mic and tape recorder.

thats really for the sound thats