Sampling Timeline

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Thanks to anyone who helped out. If you're interested in reading the whole paper--I'm guessing not as it mostly focuses on a sampling method that I've developed to turn any hotness into a drone--just hit me up one way or another. Here is the timeline that I came up with.http://granger.wordpress.com/2006/08/27/timeline-of-sampling/

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I thought Rapper's Delight came out than that...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Yeah I hadn't given much thought to the codification of hip hop until I started doing a bit of research; it's really new.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    a sampling method that I've developed to turn any hotness into a drone

Jeezus.

The world is undoubtedly now a better place.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Um... Isn't Planet Rock just replaying the Kraftwerk lines? It's the same thing as Rappers delight, isn't it? Also, someone please explain the hotness drone slang. How can I be down? Urbandictionary.com? E-40s dictionary?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    It's just turning stuff that I like to listen to into a drone so that I listen to what I want instead of what was originally created; I take out everything that I don't like about music that I like.

As far as "Planet Rock" everything I read cited it as using samples.

As far as Faux Rillz, whatever keep wiggling that dunny pen and maybe one day you'll achieve nominal nothinghood.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    It's just turning stuff that I like to listen to into a drone so that I listen to what I want instead of what was originally created; I take out everything that I don't like about music that I like.

As far as "Planet Rock" everything I read cited it as using samples.

As far as Faux Rillz, whatever keep wiggling that dunny pen and maybe one day you'll achieve nominal nothinghood.

Edited for naughty or nice?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dickeie goodman's tape cutups were in the 1950s
    then you left out raymond scott,
    kid baltan and tom dissevelt as well as tod dochstader and pals
    and darla derbyshire/the bbc thang

most importantly you forgot "wendel jr" the world's first sampling drum machine built for steely dan by roger nicholas in 1976 ,pre roger linn and the mpc

http://www.rogernichols.com

this paper has major holes in it son

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up on more info.

1.) It's not a paper on the history of sampling, I gave a brief rundown of the history of sampling so that people can get an idea of what's going on.

2.) I'm not sure why, but there is little to no information on sampling in terms of its lineage. I basically had to consult several sources and garner information from each, thus whatever I've done is a step in the right direction.

3.) I left out a lot of stuff. I guess you weren't aware but I posted a few eeks ago asking people what they thought the oldest instance of sampling was so I could get some ideas on where to start. In order to include any instance I have to have a source that can be cited and listed in a bibliography. I tried to limit the list to those things that were first or different, and eliminate instances that re-used the same methods without major changes.

4.) I don't know who Darla Derbyshire is. Are you thinking of Daphne Oram?

5.) raymond scott,
    kid baltan and tom dissevelt as well as tod dochstader and pals: If you can point me in the direction of any written works that disucss what these people were doing I would appreicate it.

6.) What you saw was not the paper, I don't know what kind of school would consider that a paper.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hemol - off topic but whats in your avatar? it looks rad

okay carry on

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    A drawing I did of a flying house. Thanks.