My ISP is WACK!!!!!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I came home the day before yesterday and tried to get online but had no connection. I called my ISPs tech support and the guy said they shut off my connection. He said that the T-1 line into our building has no cap on bandwidth for individual apartments. He said someone else from the building called and complained that they could not get online. He said they then ran a test and determined that I was using 90% of the bandwidth for the building! I told him he was buggin'. He said "we suspect that you are using a bit torrent program or a peer to peer file sharing program." I said sure I am. How else are people supposed to get movies and MP3s from the internet? Then this fool tries to get Law and Order Criminal Internet on me and says "So you admit that you are using a file sharing program?" I said yes, I just told you that I am. I then told him that I have been using the same p2p program for the past year since they have been our ISP and have never had a problem. The guy explains that p2p programs and bit torrent sites are prohibited by their user agreement. I said then why should I pay $40.00 a month for a fast internet connection? Just to browse sites and not download anything? He said he will restore my connection, but if there is another complaint he will turn off my connection again and issue another warning. He said after the third warning, they will charge a reconnection fee. WTF?! Does anyone else have these types of problems with their ISPs? Here is the email the fool sent me after I was back online. It was sent from their "abuse" department:Dear Valued Subscriber;Thank you for subscribing to Ygnition's High Speed Internet Service. It is our objective to provide excellent service to residents residing in the apartment communities we serve. To that end, our service is provided for the recreational use and enjoyment of all residents within these apartment communities.While investigating inordinately large amounts of traffic on your access port, it came to our attention that you are operating a file sharing server such as KaZaA, gnutella, WinMX, eDonkey, BearShare or other Peer-to-Peer ('P2P') file sharing software sharing files other users on the Internet.Our terms of service prohibit the operation of servers of any kind.Please be advised that if you wish to continue to enjoy the benefits of your Ygnition high speed Internet connection, this activity must immediately cease. If we do not hear from you within 24 hours to acknowledge this notification and begin corrective action, your access to the network may be permanently terminated. Furthermore, if your activity is negatively impacting the performance of our network, your service may be suspended until we hear from you. Please call us at 1-866-876-3278.We are available Mon-Sat 6am-10pm and Sun 7am-4pm Pacific Time.While we want you to enjoy the advantages of this high-speed network, we will not tolerate abuse and misuse.Sincerely, Ygnition Networks, Inc Abuse department. [email]abuse@ygnition.com[/email] / http://www.ygnition.com / 1-866-876-FAST (3278)

Comments

• Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with!Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with! Ygnition ISP aint nuttin to FUCK with!

• i would shit in a box and send it to them snail mail.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    http://www.isp-specials.com/sbc-yahoo.php?k=6002&s=100

$12.99 a month for AT&T Yahoo DSL! Why fuck with anything else?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    i would shit in a box and send it to them snail mail.

Yes! Plaese to post more suggestions.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Chan, that's a bunch of BULLSHIT. Who are they to tell you how to use the internet? Fuck that. Are there any alternatives up there? You could be sharing word documents of recipes on Limewire for all they know.

• I was on Adelphia and they had no probs. In their lit it boasted of high download speeds for music and video so they seemed to encourage it. Now they got bought out by Time/Warner and I'm a little nervous.

Anyone else on Time/Warner across the country, what's the word?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    break your modem and send it back to them with a condom

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    I was on Adelphia and they had no probs. In their lit it boasted of high download speeds for music and video so they seemed to encourage it. Now they got bought out by Time/Warner and I'm a little nervous.

Anyone else on Time/Warner across the country, what's the word?

i've been on time warner for over 2 years, and they have never given me any trouble

• break your modem and send it back to them with a condom

Damn, I almost spit my drink out!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    break your modem and send it back to them with a condom

Damn, I almost spit my drink out!

SAME.

Big C, i think you handled that situation quite well.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    This happens often. Usually, it's because cable companies are too cheap to upgrade their infrastructure. Therefore, if someone complains about a problem in your area, they'll often search out the highest user in the area and suspend their account. It is what is commonly known as a soft-cap, and they usually cite their user service agreement as the reason.

Legally speaking, they can change the service agreement at any time, the only requirement is a 30 day notice. By continuing to use the service, you in essence agree to the new service agreements.

I've had this happene before, unfortunately I am stuck in an area where dsl is still not available. Cable is my only choice and I am basically at their mercy. For more info and perhaps a 2nd option, check broadband reports, their msg boards are quite handy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Did they tell you what the cap is???

The shit they were talking was bullshit tho. Because what he was saying has nothing to do with your cap. By him telling you someone complained, means they didn't happen to have enough bandwidth for your building. I would have just asked him what their cap was and then go from there. I also would have just told him that you use bit torrent to download large Linux distros and stream music and video's from your place to work and ur phone or some shit. He must have got a hard on when you told him you used BT to get movies and music! Never admit that!

But yeah... ask dudes what your download and upload cap is set at.