how we are %#$ed in the game

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
this is what I am watching:20/20Episode Detail: Last Days on Earth Elizabeth Vargas explores seven scenarios for cataclysms that could wipe out civilization on Earth, assesses the likelihood that any of them could occur and looks at ways humans might be able to stop them. They include: a gamma-ray burst caused by the ???death??? of a star; artificial intelligence running amok; the eruption of a supervolcano; an asteroid strike; nuclear war; a pandemic or bioterrorism; and climate change.Great.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im down for a gamma ray. the rest of the shit sounds too prolonged and painful

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm about to get really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really stoned and watch this

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    im down for a gamma ray. the rest of the shit sounds too prolonged and painful

Does that mean we'll all become mutants like the Fantastic Four or Bruce Banner? That sounds potentially awesome.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'm voting for black hole.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    nuclear war; a pandemic or bioterrorism; and climate change.

I'm willing to bet that one of these will take us out.

• I'm voting for black hole.

Can someone make buttons with this on them???

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    this is what I am watching:

20/20

Episode Detail: Last Days on Earth
    Elizabeth Vargas explores seven scenarios for cataclysms that could wipe out civilization on Earth, assesses the likelihood that any of them could occur and looks at ways humans might be able to stop them. They include: a gamma-ray burst caused by the death star[/b]; artificial intelligence running amok; the eruption of a supervolcano; an asteroid strike; nuclear war; a pandemic or bioterrorism; and climate change.

Great.
    OH SNAP!

• an asteroid strike;

wait, so does this mean that our space shuttles can't cross the picket line around saturn?

seriously though, this is an actual threat. There is a meteor/asteroid waaaay out in the Milky Way, and it is on target to impact earth sometime in 2029 or thereabouts. It's still too far off to know if it will hit us, or get pulled aside enough by another planet's gravity field to miss us. If it does hit, it will strike the Pacific ocean, and pretty much the whole western region of the Americas will be screwed. And probably a lot of eastern Asia as well.

linkasaurus: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/asteroid_risk_041224.html

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Ahhh nothing sells better on TV than fear mongering, maybe sex and violence. Anyways, I liked what Stephen Hawking had to say, which was basically that the odds of a catastrophe happening now were slim, but as our technology progresses there is only more opportunities for things to go wrong. As time passes the odds get worse, so much that in ten thousand years complete destruction is an assurance. Really though, isn't there an end of days show on TV at least every five years, this is some chicken little shit.